RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID controller cooling mods

Sp1r3d

Hi everyone!

At first sorry for my English...
:)

As everybody here knows RAID controllers (as many another expansion cards) installed in HP Microserver Gen8 are not in the best cooling conditions because of design features. And many of you has swapped heatsink at controllers chipset for better performance and it helps, ofcourse. But I`m surprised that nobody tried to add auxillary heatsink at the back side of controller board (right opposite chipset). Yes, there are lot of resistors, but if use thermal pad (approx. ~1 mm thickness), it could be possible to install heatsink.

I have installed used HP P410 not so far ago and want to "prolong it`s life" by this mod. Unfortunately, I don`t have a thermometer so can`t say exact values, but I`ll be guided by the sensations. I`ll try not to forget to make some photos of process and result.
:)

But why?! Please, argument it. Don`t You ever touch back side of PCB?
IMHO, back side is heated too and installed heatsink should be useful to dissipate heat from it and chipset too. Of course it is not so effective than direct contact of heatsink and chipset, but can decrease temperature for some degrees.
I believe that this idea has the right to life.

Edited by Sp1r3d
  • Like 1

You can check the temperature of the P410 in the SSA or ACU application. Moving more cool air over the original heatsink will give you the best results.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Maybe I had searched bad, but didn`t find any information about chipset`s temperature in SSA (version from SPP 2017.04), only HDD`s.

Of course, I`ll swaping original heatsink in any case.

You don't need to swap the original heatsink. You can mount a fan over it or you can mount a blower on the frame rail that supports the power supply and aim it at the heatsink. Be sure to test with the cover on the server.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Can anyone suggest good fan/blower options? I'm using a vintage Antec fan mounted to one of the motherboard mounting screws, aimed at my RAID cards. Surely these solutions have evolved beyond what I'm using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is I don`t want any additional fans in MS, so I need to swap heatsink for passive cooling. But thanks for advise and video!

• 2 weeks later...

I am using an Antec SpotCool 80mm fan-on-an-arm.

It's silent. I think it's still working...  my PCI Zone 1 is at 77 degrees C.