RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RESET 28 on eero Gen3

Dave

I enjoyed listening to the show while driving to see family in Illinois.

www.pceddienc.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2017 at 4:56 PM, Dave said:

Just published 28 and chatted about using gen 3 hardware mixed with my gen 1 gear. Get it here: http://reset.fm/28

Sent from my Pixel XL using RESET Forums mobile app.

Dave, since you do a lot of Wi-Fi testing with many different products, have you looked at using a "heat map" signal strength/coverage measuring application?

It would make comparing products a little more scientific and ultimately, help you figure out the best placement for the AP's that you ultimately keep in use for your own home.

I'm not an expert with these tools (yet), but have been having really good results (and fun) using NetSpot Pro on the Mac.

Here's an interesting "heat map" I recently completed.  This shows a Wi-Fi scan of the neighbors bleed-over into the house, with the actual Wi-Fi in the house turned off (algorithmically, not actually turned off).  Very revealing to see the environment that cannot be controlled but must be accounted for:

all neighbors only signal-level.jpg

This is great. I checked out Netspot free but the Pro app is pricey. What all did you use to draw the floor plan first?

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is great. I checked out Netspot free but the Pro app is pricey. What all did you use to draw the floor plan first?

I cheated on that - scanned a page from an appraisal they had done a while ago.

Most of the time I do it the old-school way with a measuring wheel; I was just about to buy a laser measuring gadget, when I actually thought "there must be an app for that" and found magicplan:  http://www.magic-plan.com/magicplan/

This app is awesome!  It is an actual augmented reality app that has been available for over 4 years for both iOS and Android.  It is free and really works - fun to play with even if you don't need to create floor plans :-)

• Like 1

I used MagicPlan to do a large house but was more for a visual. No need to be entirely accurate with furniture, etc. simply to import into NetSpot. Ended up buying the Pro version. NetSpot doesn't require the image to be to scale as it's primarily for a visual guide for heat mapping.

MagicPlan included one free "token" which needed to be redeemed at one point during my project.

• Like 1

I found that the 'plan' in my appraisal actually came from the public property tax records, don't know how common this is.