RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

eero Gen 2 mixed with Gen 1 Hardware

Dave

I just picked up a Gen 2 eero and a Beacon.  I'm going to put the new gen 2 box as my central access point and hope it reaches out a little further than Gen 1.  Then put the gen 1 boxes in outlying areas.  Most with ethernet connections but some without, like the garage.

I should have a youtube in a week or so and will chat about it on RESET podcast at http://reset.fm

IMG_20170728_102011.jpg

So far this single access point is very good. It has way more reach than my gen 1 gear. I'm still running just this one and every bad spot I had is reached by this single AP. I'm going to be golden when I deploy the 6 gen1 AP's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using RESET Forums mobile app.

I tried 1, 2 then 3 Eero Gen 2 units (from an Eero Pro Gen 2 kit)c but it was pretty flaky in my environment. Open Mesh seemed to outperform Eero, yet still reverted back to Orbi...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surprising. Dense walls? I need to test more scientifically but fingers the gen 2 range much better. Normal construction home. 10 yrs old.

Don't forget iPhones have issues holding on to AP's and not switching to closer /better signal. Was that it by chance?

Maybe. All brick construction. No siding. 2 yrs old. Also I tend to judge APs by how well they perform outside of our home also. Just found that Orbi can cover nearly our entire lot w faster speeds than the others (so far). And the band steering seems to be a bit more reliable in that clients tends to connect via 5.0 ghz more consistently. With Eero Gen 2, 2.4 ghz connections, even at close range, seemed more prominent. And I really wanted to like their devices

Also noticed Eero just released firmware 3.2 on 7/27 which hadn't been released before I returned mine.

dave, I just heard your podcast about this, and definitely enjoyed the story. I look forward to hearing how many additional units you end up with.

I'm up to 3 as of this morning.  I couldn't wait!

eero3.png

No complaints so far.  I couldn't get the Pixel XL to switch from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz though.  I'll have to look into that.  Once I turned on the "Office" eero the devices that were closer to it switched over to it.  I thought that was cool.  

I also checked an Amazon Fire Stick that I had downstairs.  On Orbi it wouldn't connect. Zero signal.  On the single eero gen 2 AP it connected.  I'm currently planning the rest of the network but trying to use it for a bit so not to overlap a lot of signal.

Patience Dave, patience. Writing g this post on. 2.4Ghz in a spot that got iffy signal on other platforms. I was contemplating putting the Beacon here but now I'm not sure. Would be a good spot to test bandwidth.

Adding to that... What was odd was I was connected to an upstairs AP on 2.4 while I'm on the main floor all the way to one end of house. Secondly, walking back to living area the Pixel XL jumped back to 5Ghz on the main AP. Confused by the layout? Yes, just know it's working well. I'm happy.

I'm up to 3 as of this morning.  I couldn't wait!

eero3.thumb.png.e9411f32de6029bbc2530e529b2159f1.png

No complaints so far.  I couldn't get the Pixel XL to switch from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz though.  I'll have to look into that.  Once I turned on the "Office" eero the devices that were closer to it switched over to it.  I thought that was cool.  

I also checked an Amazon Fire Stick that I had downstairs.  On Orbi it wouldn't connect. Zero signal.  On the single eero gen 2 AP it connected.  I'm currently planning the rest of the network but trying to use it for a bit so not to overlap a lot of signal.

Had the same issue with an iOS device not switching from 2.4 to 5.0 ghz. Turned out, I needed to delete the networking configuration from the mobile device and connect to Eero. That resolved the issue. At least w Apple iOS devices, it was retaining a legacy wifi profile since I typically use the same SSID for all wifi.