RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen 10 - a fiasco?

fricadelli

Another thing I discovered is that, if you want to use ClearOS, there are some pretty big limitations:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.models.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10.1009955118.html

For example, no dual monitor support, VESA only.

Anyone running this server seems to be limited to Windows only if you want to use the graphics features that distinguish it from the Gen8.

Ignore the Gen8, look at the Gen7, the same sort of idea from that as the Gen10, that's the only way to explain it, maybe we'll have to wait for the Gen11 before they go back to Intel and socketed CPU's...

8 hours ago, fricadelli said:

despite the valiant efforts of beta reviewers to build hype for this product, I have to conclude that the new Gen 10 is a massive disappointment.

Congrats HP, you sure managed to somehow remove all the useful features of the Gen 8, and design a complete turd of a product.

i agree with you 100%.

We can only hope HPE is reading forums and they will make correct desicion with Microserver Gen10 v2 or Gen11.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fricadelli said:

So reading the latest news of the Microserver Gen 10, and despite the valiant efforts of beta reviewers to build hype for this product, I have to conclude that the new Gen 10 is a massive disappointment. My personal reasons are the following:

1) Based on a very old AMD platform (Jaguar). I was expecting them to at least use Ryzen.

2) Processor soldered to motherboard, so you can forget upgrading down the line. (This also means that a Gen 8 upgraded with a Xeon is going to completely smoke even the top-end Gen 10).

3) No bare-bones config available, if you want 32 GB RAM and larger hard-drives, you will have to discard the 8 GB RAM stick and the 1 TB hard-drive it ships with.

4) Having 32 GB of RAM would have been useful for virtualization, except there is no ESXI image available from HP.

5) No ILO (!!!)

6) Marvell-disk controller is not well-supported in either Linux or FreeBSD, so forget about running FreeNAS on this thing without buying a HBA for more $$$.

Congrats HP, you sure managed to somehow remove all the useful features of the Gen 8, and design a complete turd of a product.

'despite the valiant efforts of beta reviewers to build hype for this product' 

As a beta tester (for fun, as a hobby) I am not trying to hype a product. I test the features and functions to determine if they work as the manufacturer intended. I test to see how easy it will be for the user to implement these features and functions. I then take this feature set and try to determine potential use cases for the product. I think I have been fairly unbiased on where the MS Gen10 will potentially be a good fit and where it will not.

Please enlighten me on these 'valiant efforts' I made to hype this product.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Please enlighten me on these 'valiant efforts' I made to hype this product.

Well, I wasn't actually referring to you, I should have written "the valiant effort of a particular beta reviewer on this forum" instead. Please accept my apologies.

We can only hope HPE is reading forums and they will make correct desicion with Microserver Gen10 v2 or Gen11.

One can only hope, but I somehow doubt it. I am buying another Gen 8 instead, still a perfectly capable little box even after all these years.

4 hours ago, fricadelli said:

Well, I wasn't actually referring to you, I should have written "the valiant effort of a particular beta reviewer on this forum" instead. Please accept my apologies.

Am I to assume you are referring to me? Please enlighten me on the "valiant efforts" I made to hype this product.  

4 hours ago, fricadelli said:

One can only hope, but I somehow doubt it. I am buying another Gen 8 instead, still a perfectly capable little box even after all these years.

The Gen8 is a great box and with the Gen10 coming out there should be some great deals.  They may be worth picking up and using as external drive boxes for the Gen10 much like Schoondoggy and I used the N40L and N36L as an external drive cage for a Gen8

DSC_0007.JPG

WP_20150830_07_35_18_Pro.jpg

DSC_0111 CROP.jpg

• Dave locked this topic