porkenstein

Cloning WHS 2011 system drive

porkenstein    0
porkenstein

I hadn't used whs 2011 for a while as my server motherboard had failed. I heard that the product was dead and no updates but to my surprise I re-installed it on a new motherboard, was able to validate install and to my surprise was able to get tons of updates still. Actually I know eventually that will end and I still love whs 2011 and it's doing fine backing up my windows 10 machines. My question is cloning the system drive so when eventually it goes bad I can have a backup drive especially since sometime we won't get updates. I have read what's available that I could find and still confused if it's possible to clone system drive. Any advice appreciated.

Drashna Jaelre    149
Drashna Jaelre

By "dead", people mean that the product is now outside of "mainstream support".  This means that no new features or feature fixes will be added. So if the website breaks or becomes insecure, you're SOL.

Additionally, the underlying OS (Windows Server 2008R2) is no long in mainstream support. Meaning that it only receives security patches. 

You will still get all of the updates, even after 2020, but there will not be NEW patches, barring some sort of emergency or serious issue.

That's what we mean.  The OS itself is still usable, works and receives these previous patches. Just nothing new.

As for cloning the system drive, any normal tool should be able to handle that without any issues.  But if you have a Server Backup, you can use that as well.  Just pop in the installation disk, and select the repair/recover option, and it will let you restore to a new disk. 

• Like 1

porkenstein    0
porkenstein

Ok thanks so much. What I read before by different posts is that WHS 2011 can't be cloned like regular windows. It wouldn't really matter but I live in a retirement community and our internet is only 3mbs so doing all the updates takes forever. Thanks for you input.

Drashna Jaelre    149
Drashna Jaelre

WHSv1 cannot be clones, because of Drive Extender, but there is no such restriction on WHS2011. 

• Like 1