RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How About Free WHS V1 Downloads

IndyLux

So, I'm thinking this morning about how Microsoft could save some face with the Home Server community that is so up in arms right now after they announced the end of drive extender.

Why not make version 1 of WHS a free download?

Microsoft has lots of free software offerings that obviously took resources to develop (Security Essentials, Windows Live Essentials, Zune Software, etc.) Why not an entire OS? Those of us complaining could then go along our merry ways building OEM WHSv1 boxes (which work FINE!) for just the cost of the hardware and continue developing add ins for the platform we all fell in love with in the first place. This could give life to a product that we all fear is now dying on the vine. What do you think Microsoft? How about a nice Christmas gift for your WHS fans?

If they aren't going to keep it, I'd like to see them license it to another company. If a company that could do for WHS what Sage does for TV, that'd be fantastic. I'm happy to pay for it, and if paying for it would provide a better product, that'd be great. I know that MS won't sell the IP, since it is so tightly integrated to Windows. Or maybe they could sell the DE part.

Hm, selling drive extender could work. Maybe let one of the WHS community have it and turn it into an add-in for WHS. That, or allow drive extender to work on ANY machine to created a pooled storage drive.

I wonder how integrated DE is in the OS. Wonder if it could work as an add-in layer or is it more embedded into the OS Kernel itself?

It seems like it's on the same layer as of software RAID, since Drive Manager doesn't really know about it.

Guest no-control

It wouldn't be difficult to treat it the same as a role, like MS does with most of its add-ins for Server. Active Directory, Hyper-V, DHCP/DNS, Web, etc... are all just layers installed over the O/S. I also don't see them releasing this as freeware either. I shudder at the thought of a 3rd party licensed product. First question a 3rd party will ask is what market is this for and what our ROI? I can tell you the home server enthusiast market isn't it. It's either going to go to W7 due to the shear number of machines. Or enterprise as originally intended, and if that is the case(and they get it to work) good luck affording it.

Sorry folks I know you all are in mourning, but DE is dead. Accept it.