Sign in to follow this  
Julius

OpenMediaVault with Syncthing plugin alternative

Julius    0
Julius

Hi, I've been using OMV on debian 8 on a HP Gen8 Microserver for quite some time now, before the Gen8 I had the same thing running on an old PC. Usually I have a strong dislike for control panels and webgui's that make you want to cry when you see how it messes up the OS it is running under or over. The reason I went for OpenMediaVault is because it offers a plugin that can handle user-based syncthing instances (as many as you want) - This has been the one problem using syncthing, that I could not separate it per user, with OMV you can, and it works just wonderful. Each user has his/her own syncthing web instance on OMV.

The only gripe I have with OMV is that it stubbornly uses nginx in its own way, so whenever I want to add a site, I do it on the shell and with my own nginx config, which I've evolved over the years for many servers, but that's not how OMV wants or expects you to do it. The setup OMV uses for nginx is pretty strange, which ends up being quite annoying.

As this is a server I run at home, I decided to securely equip this with syncthing, which works wonders for relatives and close friends too, they all have their secure cloud storage on my Gen8, and I use it to backup fast across my devices myself.

I'd prefer to just use Debian or Ubuntu plain minimal, and then have webmin and syncthing on it instead of OMV and the syncthing plugin. I've tried that, but to get syncthing to offer separate instances per user is quite hard to accomplish, seemed to go wrong for me everytime I tried.

So, if anyone knows an alternative to OMV that does not use nginx, or uses a separate root for it or something, let us know here..