RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
zeus163

Windows Server 2016 Essential Woes (Remote Desktop & Subsonic Reverse Proxy)

zeus163

Since I had some hardware changes I wanted to make to my existing Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, I decided to install WS2016E after making all those changes. However, I seem to be having some issues that I don't seem to be capable of solving. At this point, I'm kind of considering blowing up this install and moving back to 2012 or something entirely different--but first I thought I'd ask for help. This machine is mostly used for Plex/Subsonic and daily back-ups of my computers. I don't do anything special with it nor do I know how to completely unleash 1/10 of its potential. But I'm hoping for help with these two issues the most.

My two biggest issues right now are:

1--Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly although ports 80 and 443 are forwarded correctly on the router (and work on yougetsignal). Remote web access works through my Microsoft created xxx.remotewebaccess.com site as well. The full error message in health reports is: Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly. You must configure Remote Desktop Services to remotely connect to computers in your network. I'm not sure what to do on this one.

2--Subsonic issues basically with Reverse Proxy--I haven't installed Madsonic to see if I'm getting the same issues, but after I installed Subsonic (War version following Drashna's old guide--Stream Music to your Mobile with Subsonic Music Server) I went to set up the reverse proxy following his other guide--Enhance Remote Access With a Reverse Proxy. The first problem I had here is I couldn't install the Application Request Routing. I kept getting an error about, " iis version 7.0 or greater is required to install Web Farm Framework 2.2." After some searching, I came up with this site and followed the steps to edit the registry: Reg Fix for AAR. So, finally I add the reverse proxy and I can access Subsonic through the reverse proxy, but only the login page. When I click login for a user, nothing happens and I stay at the login page--like a loop is going on. Another interesting piece of information, is that years ago Drashna helped me with the guide specifically the part in the action rewrite for {R,1}. I had to use {R,0} on WS2012. For WS2016E, I had to use {R,1}. Which struck me as odd, but honestly, I'm not sure what each switch does! Since I'm off for the summer, not having Subsonic working right now isn't terrible, but when the school year starts I'm hoping to have it in place.

In any case, I'm hoping for some assistance on this and thought I'd ask here. So far, my googlefu searches aren't leading me in the right direction.

rhbkweb
5 hours ago, zeus163 said:

My two biggest issues right now are:

1--Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly although ports 80 and 443 are forwarded correctly on the router (and work on yougetsignal). Remote web access works through my Microsoft created xxx.remotewebaccess.com site as well. The full error message in health reports is: Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly. You must configure Remote Desktop Services to remotely connect to computers in your network. I'm not sure what to do on this one.

Hi,

Made today a new and fresh installation of Windows Server 2016 Essentials and I'm having the exact same problem. di you already find the solution?

Anyone else that has happen this and knows how to fix? Thanks

rhbkweb

Also just noticed that after showing the Remote Desktop error, if I go to Server Manager > Remote Services section it shows the error Event ID 103 as described at: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775286(v=ws.10).aspx

I  have tried to follow that instructions, but did not work... any way I'm not sure if I done it properly.

Anyone knows how to resolve this? Thanks

Edited by rhbkweb

zeus163
1 hour ago, rhbkweb said:

Also just noticed that after showing the Remote Desktop error, if I go to Server Manager > Remote Services section it shows the error Event ID 103 as described at: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775286(v=ws.10).aspx

I also have the same error Event ID in Server Manager > Remote Services. I have not tried the fix you linked for it yet.

I also have not discovered a fix for the Remote Desktop Services message in Windows Health. I did stumble across this though: Remote Desktop Services Not Configured Correctly. In that post, the user links to here: Configure the RDP Gateway SSL. I don't know if that is my issue, but I do know that when I go to Remote Desktop Gateway Manager that I have not Certificate installed.I have three certificates I could select from, but I'm not sure which one I would select (if that is the issue).

Then I read here: Remote Desktop Services Not Configured Correctly--Technet that:

Please note that RD Session Host is not supported on Essentials.

"You need Window Server 2016 Standard or Datacenter for RDSH, plus RDS and Windows Server CALs."

But I don't know if that is applicable for this issue. I'm just trying to resolve the error message in health. I'm hoping that somebody can help these.

Edited by zeus163

zeus163
4 hours ago, rhbkweb said:

I  have tried to follow that instructions, but did not work... any way I'm not sure if I done it properly.

Anyone knows how to resolve this? Thanks

So, I was following the link you posted and I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly either. At the steps below is where I'm not quite sure:

• 2. In the Certificates snap-in console, in the console tree, expand Certificates (Local Computer), expand Personal, and then navigate to the SSL certificate for the TS Gateway server.
  • 3. Right-click the certificate, point to All Tasks, and then click Manage Private Keys.

Under Personal I show five certificates. I'm not sure which of those would be considered the SSL certificate. However, in the next step when I right click on each of them, only three of them allow the option for, "All Tasks". I'm not sure which of those three I should select.

In any case, it sounds like rhbkweb and I are at least experiencing some of the same woes.

rhbkweb
6 hours ago, zeus163 said:

Under Personal I show five certificates. I'm not sure which of those would be considered the SSL certificate.

Hi,

Also don't know what SSL certificate to choose. I will try to continue to investigate from my end. If you have any updates, please inform.

Anyone else knows how to fix this issue? This problem of @zeus163 seems exact equal to mine.

zeus163

I found this advice:

1. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and uncheck VPN and RWA, reboot the server,
  2. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check Remote Web Access, reboot the server,
  3. Run the Access Anywhere wizard and check VPN, all options are checked now.

It didn't fix it for me completely. However, maybe it will work for you!!

zeus163

Thanks to Drashna, I now have the Subsonic reverse proxy working. So, now if anyone has any ideas on the first one, I'm all ears.

rhbkweb

Also still did not found the solution for the "Remote Desktop Services is not configured correctly. You must configure Remote Desktop Services to remotely connect to computers in your network" issue.

Tried all ways on this thread. None of them worked.