RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 SATA Configuration

TehJonny

Hi Everyone,

So my current setup is using the SATA ODD port for my boot drive using the B120i on my SSD as a RAID0, but what I want to know is, is it possible to use all 5 ports (4 bays and the ODD port) while not using the b20i raid controller? IF NOT if I raid0 my two 4TB WD Reds as seperate drives i.e RAID0 DISK 1 RAID0 DISK 2 will this allow me to take out say disk one plug it in another machine and using the data on that specific drive?

Many Thanks.

On 19/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, TehJonny said:

is it possible to use all 5 ports (4 bays and the ODD port) while not using the b20i raid controller?

yes, disable the raid controller and set the ports to ahci.

Edited by pigr8

To boot from the ODD SATA port, you need to use the B120i or to use AHCI you need to setup a boot loader on USB/microSD. 

I have moved single drive RAID0 drives from a B120i to a PC, but I have heard of others having issues with that migration. When I have done this, I started with a drive that had been set up, formatted and running on AHCI in a different computer. Then I moved it to the MS Gen8 B120i and set it up as a single drive RAID0. I then was able to move the drive back to a PC with AHCI and read the data. If you intend to do this often, you need to understand the process of removing and returning a drive to the B120i. RAID controllers mark drives as bad when they are missing. I would recommend you practice this migration before making it your standard practice. 

What OS are you running?

Edited by schoondoggy
update