RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID 5 and backuo in WS 2012R2

dikkiedirk

Does WS 2012R2 offer software RAID5. If yes, is this a workable solution or simply dead slow. What kind of CPU do I need in a Microserver Gen 8 to male it fast enough? Or is it wiser/better to leave RAID5 to a dedicated controller like a P222 with FWBC? How do I set up a P222, trough its BIOS when starting up the Gen 8? Is additional forced cooling for the P222 necessary? My Gen 8 has a standard 2020 Celeron. It will be used for ripping my CD collection and like to leave the DVD/CD player in its place. As far as server server tasks concerned, it will only be serving music file in FLAC format, also in HD format upto 24/192. WS 2012 R2 is booting of SSD on port1 of the B120i. Nothing fancy really. Is it possible to schedule a nightly incremental backup task in WS 2012R2 to a USB disk or perhaps over LAN to another server?

Drashna Jaelre

Yes it does. In the form of Storage Spaces (parity arrays). 

However, in general, it's better to set up a RAID array on a dedicated controller, as you will get better performance out of it.   Especially as this will be heavily CPU dependant, and ... dirt slow on a Celeron CPU. 

dikkiedirk

Thanks. Guess I'll be harvesting another P222 from my companies surplus parts then. I had one already but it had been running with a loose heatsink and was unstable.

Regarding backups, all external drives will be dedicated as backup drives, and will not be visible in file explorer.
Setting up a backup task is very simple after adding a external drive, and selecting what to backup.

Or just create a task in Task Scheduler with e.g. robocopy and backup via the network to another location.
Your Celeron with a couple of disks on the internal hardware should be more than fast enough for your music usage.
Even for video streaming etc. it will work just fine.

vr.gr.,

rob

Edited by RobWu
added stuff
dikkiedirk

Added a P222 and connected the mini SAS cable of the drive cage to it. I created a RAID 5 volume and it runs stable this time. Temps on PCI1 are rather high though, about 75 C, s I'm gonna add a fan to the heatsink of the P222. Just need a way to power the fan.

• Like 1