CinatTuhYeliah

Upgrading Existing Setup - OS on SSD in ODD Bay

CinatTuhYeliah    0
CinatTuhYeliah

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before me. I've been searching and installing for days and days to no avail, and I think it's time to ask.

I've got myself an HP G1610T which has all SATA bays populated - 4x 4TB drives.

When the system was originally set up, I had FreeNAS installed to USB/SD card and the drives were configured with ZFS. Everything works (well, worked) a treat.

My needs changed and so I set about changing to Ubuntu Server on the USB/SD card. Ubuntu has zfs support installed through apt which picked up my NAS drives and datasets no problem. This worked fine until the swap partition failed on the USB/SD for whatever reason, and all attempts to recover the SD Card have failed so far (I've given up hope and no longer care for it).

Now I'm trying to boot Ubuntu Server from an SSD which is plugged in to the ODD SATA port. I've read conflicting statements - It can't be done/It can be done. I've read you need to chainload the operating system with grub on a USB to boot Ubuntu. The list goes on. I can successfully install Ubuntu Server to USB with no problem, boot up, and do what I want, but the install seems to do not set up the Logical Volume and Volume Groups properly when installing to the SSD, and Grub fails to boot when chainloaded.

Does anyone have a relatively simple explanation of how I can go about booting my OS from the SSD? I'm preferring to keep all my data in tact where possible.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

/J

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Aleksander
      By Aleksander
      Hi guys!
      Trying to configure AlertMail in iLO, but I don't receive a mail. I have installed Debian, need I to configure mail server (postfix) on it?
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). I am thinking however to get another Gen8 box but could do with your advice please as following...

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • luckyfabian@gmail.com
      By luckyfabian@gmail.com
      Hi all,

I recently obtained a Standard license for 2016 Server and was thinking to run it on a new box. Can somebody please correct me because AFAIK a Standard 2016 license is ok for 2 cores (dual-core) how does this work if I obtain a server with 4 cores? I was looking at HPE Gen10 Proliant but no ILO (as I have a Gen8 VMware box). 

As my Microserver Gen8 box has 16gb (which I believe is the maximum amount of memory supported? Or somebody could say otherwise) I have Win2012 R2 running on one VM (ESXi v6), I COULD provision another VM for running Win2016 Standard, do you think this would be feasible with 16gb in total on the Server?? Plus with 2016 Standard License I can run two Hyper V VM's (was thinking a Win10 and maybe a Win7 clients) so I was thinking a barebones server (maybe another Gen8 Microserver, not sure about the new HPE Gen10's as no ILO and I want the ILO functionality) or was looking at the ML Gen9 XEON server recently (no ILO but I believe can switch with the onboard AMT) or was just looking at a Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M1 Xeon E3-1226 V3 16GB 2TB Tower Server, could anyone advise me on these?

I was thinking I could load 2016 on another VM and have 4gb provisioned for 2012 R2 and probably provision the rest of the memory (12gb) for the 2016 Server with 2x Hyper V clients eventually
      Can someone confirm that I could run 2016 as a VM on my Gen8 Microserver or should I go for another server (not sure about the Microserver Gen10 boxes as no ILO) or was looking at the Fujitsu system as mentioned above.

ANY advice would be MOST GREATLY appreciated.

This Server is to practise Group Policy, Power Shell and setting up a Domain and a trial of Office365 to practise Azure AD at home probably over the internal network with a couple of PC's in the house, so nothing heavy.
      Thanks in advance,

Lucky
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      By: JohnStutsman

Figure 1 – Preparing to install new 64GB of RAM

I upgrade the stock 8GB to 64GB of RAM in the HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using 4 DIMMs (“Sticks”) of Kingston KVR21E15D8/16.

Figure 2 – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16

Figure 3 – 64GB RAM about to be installed in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9

Figure 4 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – System Board Components & Memory “Type” requirement from “QuickSpecs” – DIMMs removal & installation instructions from “Maintenance & Service Guide” (see links in References below)

Figure 5 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 – Memory & DDR4 memory population guidelines from “QuickSpecs” (see links in References below)

I upgraded to 64GB of RAM in my HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 using Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 from Newegg. The KVR21E15D8/16 was suggested by Schoondoggy on the forum thread RAM for ML30 Gen9.

Video 1 – 64GB RAM in HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9.

Figure 6 – View of the four new DIMMs installed for 64GB of RAM. Time to replace the air baffle, tower bezel, and side panel then hook up the ML30 Gen9 and see if it works!

Figure 7 – IT WORKS! Screen during first post showing 64GB RAM - for the first time!  Thank you Schoondoggy!!

Figure 8 – System Summary Information showing 64GB RAM installed

Figure 9 – System Information with Installed Physical Memory (64GB RAM) Highlighted

Figure 10 – Task Manager showing 64GB of DDR4.

Figure 11 – iLO4 System Information – Memory Information showing four 16GB DIMMs installed.  Status is "Good, In Use".

Figure 12 – Temperatures appear well within range while system fan speed was a consistent 6% - BIOS set to Optimal Cooling (Note that the two 40mm fans in the Icy Dock ToughArmor MB994SP-4SB-1 were also running).

Figure 13 – HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 running with 64GB RAM and using 30.1 Watts. Everything seems to be working well – time to think about adding more drives and turn on Hyper-V!!

As-Built (I named my Computer: Serenity)
      HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 (Product No. 830893) Xeon E3-1240v5 (SkyLake LGA 1151) 64GB ECC RAM – Kingston KVR21E15D8/16 OS: Windows 10 Pro B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 1-4: (4*3.5” Drive Tray Caddies for Main Drive-Cage Assembly Bays 1-4) B140i Dynamic Smart Array: Ports 5-6: Icy Dock MB994SP-4SB-1 in Top 5.25” half-height Bay; with/ 2*18” SATA III (6 Gb/s) cables attached to Bays 1 & 2 (Bays 3 & 4 are available for future); Molex to Molex & Fan Y-Connector Cable; Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in Bay 1;  

Please join us in the HomeServerShow Forums to discuss this and tell us what you are building at home.

Reference:

RAM for ML30 Gen9 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14807-ram-for-ml30-gen9/

ValueRAM Decoder https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/valueram/valueram_decoder

ValueRAM KVR21E15D8/16 Specs Sheet http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21E15D8_16.pdf

Check HSS Forum Post: Other HSS ML30 Blog Postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/ML30

HomeServerShow Forum for ML10’s & ML30’s http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/forum/98-ml10-and-ml10v2/

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server Maintenance & Service Guide http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04905980-1.pdf

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen9 Server QuickSpecs http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04834998&doctype=quickspecs&doclang=EN_US&searchquery=&cc=us&lc=en
    • Dave
      By Dave
      RESET Forums, formerly Home Server Show, has had TWO Gen 10 Microservers on the test bench since early June when they were announced.  John Stutsman, Mr. Microserver, and Kevin Schoonover, famous for creating the HDD Mod for the Gen 8, have been hard at work providing us details and reviews of the new Gen 10 Microserver.

Start here:
      https://homeservershow.com/forums/forum/201-microserver-gen-10/