CinatTuhYeliah

Upgrading Existing Setup - OS on SSD in ODD Bay

CinatTuhYeliah

Hi all,

I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times before me. I've been searching and installing for days and days to no avail, and I think it's time to ask.

I've got myself an HP G1610T which has all SATA bays populated - 4x 4TB drives.

When the system was originally set up, I had FreeNAS installed to USB/SD card and the drives were configured with ZFS. Everything works (well, worked) a treat.

My needs changed and so I set about changing to Ubuntu Server on the USB/SD card. Ubuntu has zfs support installed through apt which picked up my NAS drives and datasets no problem. This worked fine until the swap partition failed on the USB/SD for whatever reason, and all attempts to recover the SD Card have failed so far (I've given up hope and no longer care for it).

Now I'm trying to boot Ubuntu Server from an SSD which is plugged in to the ODD SATA port. I've read conflicting statements - It can't be done/It can be done. I've read you need to chainload the operating system with grub on a USB to boot Ubuntu. The list goes on. I can successfully install Ubuntu Server to USB with no problem, boot up, and do what I want, but the install seems to do not set up the Logical Volume and Volume Groups properly when installing to the SSD, and Grub fails to boot when chainloaded.

Does anyone have a relatively simple explanation of how I can go about booting my OS from the SSD? I'm preferring to keep all my data in tact where possible.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

/J

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Bungow
      By Bungow
      Hello

I have a Micreoserver gen8 with a new P222 and 4 X 4TB WD red drives forming a raid6 array. The problem is i can hear a loud noise comming from HDD like a intense reading disk operation, but when disks suposly are idle. This happen periodicaly like each 15 minutos or so. I think this can be a checking disk operation from p222 raid card but is anoying and I'm not sure. Can you provide any hint to this?

Thank You
    • dynamikspeed
      By dynamikspeed
      Hi there,

I am looking to get 2x512GB SSDs on a black friday deal with converters.
      As i understand i need to put these in slot 1 and 2 run them in Raid 0 so if they are 6Gbps each does that mean they will run at 12Gbps concurrently and also double the read/write speed?

I currently have a 1TB SATA Disk running on b120i Smart controller so will i lose the ESXi i am running on it, Is there a way i can restore it all on the SSD's or better off clean installing?
      Can anyone recommend which brand SSDs and specs i should be looking at?

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.
      I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.
      No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.
      'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.
      After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.
      I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.
      To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.
      Hope everyone else has good experiences too!