RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External HDD enclosure recommendations?

Jason

Did you have a question on setup?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for asking. Yes and no...I haven't started my setup yet (soon), but was wondering if you'd recommend I setup my 4 x 3 TB WD Reds as a JBOD or RAID 0? If my intend is to create one large storage location with it. It will be used as a local backup location. This is why I had used Stablebit Drivepool in the past (to create one large storage destination), but would prefer a hardware method now.

My main WSE12R2 server storage is on a RAID6 array.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If you set the drives as JBOD you would need to use Drivepool or Storagespaces to make it look like a single volume. It sounds like you want a hardware RAID solution now. RAID0 is very fast, but if you lose one drive you lose the entire array. With four drives, RAID5 is good performance, resilience and use of capacity(N-1), but you need to be sure your controller has the cache memory to support it and rebuilds take time. RAID10 is easy for controllers to support, but your useable capacity is 50%. I tend to lean toward RAID10 as the safest choice. How much usable capacity are you trying to get? It sounds like you have this backed up offsite? How quickly could you recover from that?

I am using both CrashPlan and Amazon Glacier for offsite backup. Probably overkill but it's inexpensive peace of mind. I have unlimited data at 50 Mbps downstream so it wouldn't be too bad considering not all data would be needed immediately upon failure. Rather I could restore gradually over time.

Currently, with a Drivepool, I've consumed about 80% of 12 TB available in a JBOD or 9.6 TB with children's movies, etc.

With RAID5 you would have 9TB usable and RAID10 you would have 6TB usable.

• Like 1

With RAID5 you would have 9TB usable and RAID10 you would have 6TB usable.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with RAID5 to start.

Finally received my Sans Digital enclosure and LSI 9286CV-8e RAID card. Used LSI's built in WebBIOS to setup a RAID5 array with 256 KB striping and Always Write Back caching since the server is on a UPS. This is a night and day difference from the previous Lian Li EX-503 eSATA enclosure with DrivePool.

• Like 1

Am up and running. Am amazed at how much faster this enclosure is connected via HBA SF-8088 cable with a hardware RAID5.