RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 novice needs some guidence

psionguy

I have just ordered a GEN8 which is due to be delivered this week, my plan is to install XPEnoligy, but first I want to ensure I have the latest bios and firmware. Have been looking around this excellent forum and it appears for me to upgrade the software I need to purchase llo licence. Is this the only way to ensure I have an up to-date system or is there another way to achieve this?

You do not need to buy an iLo license to upgrade BIOS and firmware. 

When you receive your MS Gen8 you need to register it with HPE. This will allow you to download BIOS and firmware while the server is under factory warranty. You can download items individually from the support area at HPE.com or HPE puts all BIOS, firmware and drivers in an ISO image called SPP. Download the latest SPP make a bootable USB drive and it will update everything.  

5 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You do not need to buy an iLo license to upgrade BIOS and firmware. 

When you receive your MS Gen8 you need to register it with HPE. This will allow you to download BIOS and firmware while the server is under factory warranty. You can download items individually from the support area at HPE.com or HPE puts all BIOS, firmware and drivers in an ISO image called SPP. Download the latest SPP make a bootable USB drive and it will update everything.  

Thanks for the information very useful. I did read somewhere that there was a slim-down free addition of ILo, is there any truth in that  as I have not been able to find it?

The MS Gen8 comes with the standard version iLo4. Here is a comparison of Standard and Advanced:

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-5167ENW.pdf

The Advanced key gives you full 'Integrated Remote Console (IRC/Virtual KVM, support text, and graphics)'.

The part number for the Advanced key is 512485-B21. They can be found on ebay new and sealed for around $30. 

• Like 1

On 7/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, schoondoggy said:

The MS Gen8 comes with the standard version iLo4. Here is a comparison of Standard and Advanced:

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/V2/GetPDF.aspx/4AA4-5167ENW.pdf

The Advanced key gives you full 'Integrated Remote Console (IRC/Virtual KVM, support text, and graphics)'.

The part number for the Advanced key is 512485-B21. They can be found on ebay new and sealed for around $30. 

Appreciate your help, 2 other question. There are 2 versions of Gen8, mine is the G1610T, do the SPP files work on both models, or is there a specific image for each model also do i need a licence number to activate the standard iLo4?

Thanks again.

The SPP ISO works for all Proliant servers. The standard iLo is active when the system ships. There is a card attached to the server with the factory set user and password settings.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

The SPP ISO works for all Proliant servers. The standard iLo is active when the system ships. There is a card attached to the server with the factory set user and password settings.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Really appreciate your patience, I have struggled with this, searched the HPE site and not been able to find the updates. There is a file on this forum ( spp-2017.04.0-spp2017040_0420.14.iso) which is a service pack dated April 2017, I am going to create a bootable usb and with this file. 

Does this look OK.

Thanks

Have you thought of anything else instead of xpenoloygy?
When I bought Microserver Gen8 I installed Xpenology and it worked. But because I have also the Synology DS 412+ I have tried Openmediavault. Now I have DS412 + and instead of Microserver Gen8 I have ML350p. I installed Vmware ESXI on it and several virtual machines. As NAS I have Openmediavault 3. I mapped the drives as RDM and on them (4x 2TB) I did ZFS (RAIDZ1) with deduplication. I also have a PLEX server, PXE, SMB and AFP everything works very well.
If you need other functionality then Openmediavault will probably also have them as plugins. If not, you can install Debian or Ubuntu or something else as a virtual machine and do what you need. And there will not be problems with updates. It just works.

Hi

Interesting thought, as I am running XPEnology on a hp 40l microserver and it is all OK I will give it a look.

Appreciate your input. .