RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Orion

Backup with apfs

Orion

I am thinking about getting a synology nas to store music pictures and videos. I would like to be able to use iTunes and iPhoto in my Mac to manage those files. Then i will use plex to manage my video files in the server. 

Is there a format I can make my disks to read well in both Mac and pc?

ShadowPeo

This is not something you need to concern yourself with, as the file system is a lower level technology than what is used across the network to communicate transmitting data.

To answer your question, however, the formats used by Synology (and most other Linux-based storage devices) is either EXT4 and BTRFS.

The protocols you need to be concerned with for storing on NAS (or other devices) are SMB and AFS, with SMB now being the main standard utilised by both Apple and Windows devices with excellent support on both. The only real time you need to worry about AFS is if you are doing TimeMachine to a network host.

In short get a Synology and you will have no issues with cross platform support. I know I use both with the Synology devices both personally and professionally.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,

I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

-MB
    • TakiBot
      By TakiBot
      I've got my hands on a HP N40L.
      Can i use raid 1+0 on my 4 2TB WD RED or only 1 and 0.
      Thanks for the help.
    • wigster
      By wigster
      Hi,

I just upgraded my laptop to the latest Windows 10 1903 (18362.53) which is in release preview. The following issue may or may not be resulting from that.

My WS2012R2 Essentials server is now reporting this laptop as Offline. On the other hand the connector icon on the laptop is green, I can launch the Dashboard through it, so everything seems to be connected.

More importantly, I now cannot backup this laptop: it tries and complains that it cannot connect to the WS Essentials Client Computer Management Service. I have tried reinstalling the Connector to no avail. It used to work a couple of weeks ago, before this upgrade, but in principle it could have been some other unrelated change.

Does anyone else have a similar problem with Windows 1903? Or is it just me? Is there something I can try? 
    • arefiev.dm
      By arefiev.dm
      Hello! I put P222 on my Gen8 server, but I can not use RAID6. Can someone share the key?
    • steeve
      By steeve
      History: 
      Currently have N40 which I used to backup my laptop to using Crashplan (as well as to Crashplan cloud), replaced Crashplan with Backblaze when CP removed consumer backup, but BB does not have a local backup.

Current:
      Have a Gen8 which I am in the process of transitioning to and would like to have local/lan backup of my laptop (plus other PCs) to my server.

I have previously tried Cobien, but had issues with it backing up over a network, constant fails.
      Also looked at rsync, but concerned it is very old and unsupported.

Question:
      Can someone recommend software I could run on my laptop to backup to my server, would be ok with software on server to receive backup as well.

Note: I realize this isn't strictly a Gen8 issue, but as this is far and away the most popular forum I thought I'd try my luck here.

Thanks for any help/advice people can offer.