RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking at unRaid as a WIN10 replacement

rgreenpc

I have been looking for some time at moving from a windows 10 box housing my Plex and a Vm to the unRaid platform, I was also considering FreeNas but Unraid appears to be a more elegant solution.

As a side note I am trying to simplify my setup as I have Stage 4 colon cancer and don't want to burden my wife with IT headaches. My father-in-law will be a remote help center for my wife  and he has a lot of experience in both FreeNas and unRaid.

Dave asked I start a thread as this might prove a lively discussion.

• Like 1

First, our prayers are with you in your struggle with cancer.

I'm looking to downsize my setup. Running Windows 10 on a i7-875K, 2011 on i7-920. Both full-size boxes with a mix of hard drives running DrivePool. It's just too much maintenance and boy do they produce a lot of heat. My little slice of an office is in the kid's playroom which is in the FROG (finished room over the garage). With unconditioned air underneath this room stays warmer than the rest of the house and my computers don't help. Also running a QNAP TS-451+ with 16TB of drives in RAID1. 

Most  of my work is done on my Surface Pro4. My Win10 box is basically for media management and uploading. It's just too much for the task. My 2011 box was never reliable for backups and it's a storage target and MyMovies machine. Once again too much for the job.

I just bought an i5 NUC with 256GB SSD and 16GB of RAM. It has Win10 Pro installed and I'll see how well it will handle the Win10 duties. Thinking I'll strip the drives from the 2011 box and use them in an enclosure with DrivePool. Redundant backup to the QNAP via Resilio Sync and I'm going to get another low powered box to place at work. My internet speeds are 60/4, work has 50/50. IT guy is cool and said he'll put machine on the network, just asks I do backup duties at night. I'll also use Resilio on it. If the NUC works well I'll get one for that job. That will also be a better "Plex Cloud" machine for me given the numerous Unlimited Cloud storage fiasco's we've had. 

My pictures, music and documents are all on numerous cloud storage services so that satisfied the offsite requirement. It's just the DVD rips I need bulk storage for that the cloud can't handle right now at an affordable price. 

I've backed up all my stuff to the cloud in preparation for a move and I have that as an off-site.

I had been looking at Freenas... and its FREE, but many I know swear by unRaid.

As an outside thought how much would you get to sell the box and use the funds buy something like a Synology or QNAP, easy for any jo-blow to administer. I do not know much about it but to partners, there was an event where they are now able to run VM's on some of the NAS's and it can run Plex easily enough, although if you are doing transcoding this would not be recommended due to the low power processors

• Like 1

I'm not an HD snob. MyMovies does the folder rips while simultaneously ripping a .mp4 copy. It streams well, and is good enough for Surface, AFTV and iPad. I have 3 copies of each on site. That would be a lot of work to recreate and at 4 Mbps up, a very long time to upload. 

I am the HD snob in this group - I rip my stuff with hd audio

I would just get a Nas but the cost of one to fit my needs plus throwing away a machine that's great for a unRAID box but little use as much more than for Plex is just unthinkable. 

I went off W10 last year and tried Freenas/Unraid and a couple of others  (open hardware vault for one)

I found that unraid was slightly easier than freenas to set up but otherwise freenas was easier to maintain  

I think the process of updating packages and such in unraid was a bit wonky

• 1 month later...