RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Magic Jack Impression

awraynor

Actually...very helpful as I think thru this decision. As I mentioned on the show (not out out this point) I really just need a temp line until my younger kids get cell phones (next year or two) and I really only need it to make emergency calls (which might not be good with MJ). Right now my service is with Packet 8 (VoIP) and I have a dedicated router for the service. I pay about $240 a year (which is still cheaper than Cox here in Omaha) and I would love to get rid of that since I am now paying well over $200 a month for 5 phones on Sprint.

Does MJ offer E911?

I believe E911 works with MagicJack... never have needed to use it, though, knock on wood! :-)

Right at the bottom of the MagicJack popup, it shows your address to prove it knows where you are for an emergency call.

Or maybe just to secretly spy on you...

I guess I am one of the lucky ones dealing with Magic Jack. My son has had MJ for over a year now as his main home phone and I have two of them going at my house for about 7 months now.Sound quality is great and haven't had a dropped call as yet. Haven't hooked it up to the WHS but may try it soometime, but they are working so good right now I hate to mess with them. You can have more than one MJ hooked up to a single computer but can only talk on one line at a time. I have them in seperate computer to avoid that conflict. Happy with MJ so far.

• 6 months later...

FYI, an alternative to Magicjack is Skype with a USB adapter. Anybody try that on WHS? I may be trying it soon on Vail.

Has anyone here put a magicjack on their whs? If yes. What was your method and how is it working?

See this post on We Got Served for help with MajicJack.

Another alternative to MagicJack is Ooma. http://www.ooma.com/ There is a higher upfront cost (~$250 although I've seen it as low as $180 on sale at various big box stores). Yearly cost is about $11 or $120 for the premium plan. I've had one for 6 months and it works great for me. There are a couple of really big advantages with Ooma. First off it's a standalone so no need to marry it to a PC. This has an added benefit of removing one more point of failure. Second you can hook it up to your home telephone wiring so you can put phones (or base stations) where ever you have a phone jack now. This is especially handy if you have a larger home and wireless coverage is a problem.

My friend, who turned me on to Ooma defected from MagicJack. He had found MJ to be to prone to freeze up requiring restarts. But that was his experience. I've had to reboot the Ooma a couple of times but from my perspective that's acceptable in a 6 month time frame.

Brent over at www.geektonic.com has some blog posts I think cause he's got one as well.

As I just posted in another thread:

FYI, I just ordered a USB adapter for Skype so that I can use Skype with a regular house phone. Hopefully, I'll be able to give it a good test next week. I hope it will play nicely with Vail, otherwise I'll have to attach it to my Win 7 machine instead.

I'll post the results on the forum.