Joe_Miner

Changing HDD's and Using Icy Dock's EZConvert in Gen10 MS

Joe_Miner

I wanted to see how well the EZConvert (by Icy Dock) would work in the Gen10 so I removed two 3.5" drives from the main Cage and loaded to WD Red's 2.5" drives in EZConverts and loaded them into the Gen10 MicroServer.  Everything lined up and it was an easy changeout!

Capture01.JPG

DSC_0071CROP.jpg

Capture02.JPG

DSC_0072CROP.jpg

DSC_0076CROP.jpg

Capture03.JPG

DSC_0079CROP.jpg

DSC_0083CROP.jpg

Shortly after this I installed MS Office 365 onto the Gen10 and loaded some of my really big spreadsheets -- I thought the response was good and the graphics display of Excel generated graphs was great!  IMO.

• Like 2

nrf

thanks for sharing the experience. far better than some cheapo plastic bracket I see. I'll put it on my list. 

Joe_Miner

Jim Collison introduced me to the EZConverts years ago  

-- I've always had good luck with them.  There's one or more threads started by Jim somewhere in the Forums.  I like the newer open EZConverts that can take any 2.5" drive from 7mm to 15mm thick -- a little more expensive but great utility.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• marty_oc
      By marty_oc
      Hi guys, this will be quite long, so be warned :-D

I run Microserver Gen8 for several years now. I have one issue which happens on any cold boot (swich off the server, then switch on; no need to remove power outlet). 
      My config is following:
      * Linux Debian operating system
      * SSD in optical drive bay connected to SATA intended for ODD, intended as main system disk holding Debian Linux
      * 3.5" HDD in bay 1 used as single drive
      * 3x 3.5" HDDs in bays 2-4 used in software RAID 5 (mdraid, no LVM)

To be able to boot from ODD SATA connector holding SSD with Linux, I needed to configure booting from integrated RAID controller and configure my SSD as one-disk-only RAID0 array. This works perfectly - I configure this logical volume in storage administrator and set it as bootable and server boots perfectly. I can see the SSD as /dev/sde and I can access it directly, it is seen by the system as regular SATA connected HDD. 
      Upon coldboot, HP RAID configuration is lost. If I boot from Debian Rescue disk (I have one permanently in iLO SD card slot), I can still see my SSD as /dev/sde and I can access all the data with no issues. When I open HP Storage Administrator and go through creating new array consisting of the SSD only, data is not lost and after setting it as bootable I can boot again without problems. 

So what now? 
      I have a backup plan that would consist of using SD card in iLO slot as boot drive that would hold just GRUB and will be able to hand off all stuff to my SSD. 
      However, I would like to find out what is wrong with the HP RAID controller. Is it me who is stupid or just the controller does not support this unusual config?

Ideas, anyone? 
    • juan3211
      By juan3211
      HI, I have purchased a GEN 10 microserver (version CPU AMD Opteron X3216 / 1.6 GHz with 8 Gb RAM). 

I have installed Server 2016 Standard (two hard disk: 2Tb and 4Tb RED) but I have a problem with task manager.

During some months after purchasing it, I had installed Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation Version. Now I have 2016 Standard.

With 2012 version I could see disk usage in task manager, with Server 2016 Standard NO.

I have checked device manager and everything has its driver.May be I have to update some default driver for this? I can't see anything for that in HP web page.

(The 2Tb and 4Tb hard disk are today Dynamic disk because I will mirror the 2Tb disk in 4Tb disk)

Regards,
    • juan3211
      By juan3211
      HI, I have purchased a GEN 10 microserver (version CPU AMD Opteron X3216 / 1.6 GHz with 8 Gb RAM). 

I have installed Server 2016 Standard (two hard disk: 2Tb and 4Tb RED) but I have a problem with memory.

In windows server it says: 8 Gb RAM (6,96 GB available). 

I have:
      install video driver from HP web page uninstall it and leave the basic default driver check all BIOS option to search for a option for the shared video card memory.  (I haven't found anything)  
      So no luck.

Does any body knows how to increase the available RAM ?

Regards,

• cdtwszy
      By cdtwszy
      hey guys:

BIOS NIC: pre-wake on lan is enable;

Windows NIC:wol magic packet is enable、wol pattern match is enable、wol speed is auto;

but just don't work...how did it work?

it is power management problem?
    • Thorain73
      By Thorain73
      Just received my new Gen10 server, as a replacement for my ReadyNas Duo.

The issue i'm having is there are no caddy's included, had a search on Ebay and other well know internet sites.  I'm just unable to see any that specifically mention compatibility with the Gen 10.

I've got two HDD Barracuda35 4TB 256MB 5.4K 3.5 SATA i'm after installing

Can any one point me at some compatible caddys, ideally in the UK / EU region

Thanks

Stephen