Joe_Miner

Changing HDD's and Using Icy Dock's EZConvert in Gen10 MS

Joe_Miner

I wanted to see how well the EZConvert (by Icy Dock) would work in the Gen10 so I removed two 3.5" drives from the main Cage and loaded to WD Red's 2.5" drives in EZConverts and loaded them into the Gen10 MicroServer.  Everything lined up and it was an easy changeout!

Capture01.JPG

DSC_0071CROP.jpg

Capture02.JPG

DSC_0072CROP.jpg

DSC_0076CROP.jpg

Capture03.JPG

DSC_0079CROP.jpg

DSC_0083CROP.jpg

Shortly after this I installed MS Office 365 onto the Gen10 and loaded some of my really big spreadsheets -- I thought the response was good and the graphics display of Excel generated graphs was great!  IMO.

• Like 2

nrf

thanks for sharing the experience. far better than some cheapo plastic bracket I see. I'll put it on my list. 

Joe_Miner

Jim Collison introduced me to the EZConverts years ago  

-- I've always had good luck with them.  There's one or more threads started by Jim somewhere in the Forums.  I like the newer open EZConverts that can take any 2.5" drive from 7mm to 15mm thick -- a little more expensive but great utility.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.
      I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.
      No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.
      'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.
      After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.
      I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.
      To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.
      Hope everyone else has good experiences too!
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Unbox ML110 Gen10 at RESET Meetup

This is a video of the unboxing of the HPE ProLiant ML1100 Gen10 at the RESET Meetup #Indy2017 on September 30, 2017.  More to follow in the Forums in the future.

• TSa
      By TSa
      Hello!

I made stupid mistake and bought gen10 microserver because it looked nice. 
      Hardware is like this:
      Samsung 850 pro 256 for OS win10 pro
      2x wd red 4tb in SW raid
      1x wd green 3b

It is loud as hell when booting and very irritating after that.
      There is just too much noise from fan for quiet home office.
      Is there anything i can do about it?

Please help my ears bleed!

-TSa
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Unboxing the HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 at #BestMeetUpEver

This is a video of the unboxing of the HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 at the RESET Meetup #Indy2017 on September 30, 2017.  More to follow in the Forums in the future.