Dave    268
Dave

What is this BBQ tech you speak of @jcollison?  

I keep hearing Jim and Mike on Home Gadget Geeks talk about grilling, smoking, gadgets, and tech. I must admit that I am a horrible griller (steaks and burgers only) and I'm intrigued by all this talk.  Head out to Jim's podcast and listen up and come back to this thread and teach me!  I want to know all the gadgets too!

cskenney    114
cskenney

I use a Weber Genesis gas grill for cooking burgers, brats and steaks.  I have also used it to cook pizza (with and without using a pizza stone).  It works very well and is very versatile.

My favorite BBQ tool is my Primo Kamado All-In-One Ceramic smoker / grill.  I strictly use lump charcoal and wood in this unit.  It can cook low and slow for items like beef brisket, ribs or pork butt.  It is can also run very hot (500-600F) to sear steaks.

One downside to the ceramic smoker is that is must be watched to maintain a low even cooking temp.  Rather then sit and watch food cook for 12-14 hours I invested in a BBQ Pit Controller.

I bought a kit for the Heatermeter and I built my own pit controller.  I had this on display at the 2016 Meet-up.

smoker.JPG

Primo Kamado Ceramic grill / smoker

heatermeter.JPG

Heatermeter BBQ Pit Controller

2016-06-19_015401000_0910E_iOS.jpg

Heatermeter remote graphical display

• Like 1

ImTheTypeOfGuy    30
ImTheTypeOfGuy

The most important thing in grilling is to never use gas.

I use a traditional grill with smoke box on the side. I only use charcoal briquets because lump charcoal burns to hot. The only gadget I use is a temp monitor that has a probe for the meat and one for the grill. I am not cool like cskenny so I have to manually control my vents.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cskenney    114
cskenney

Great thing about BBQ is that there are so many options and you can tailor your method to your preferences or the amount of time you want to invest.

• Like 1