RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS - 2 servers?

BagPuss

Hey everyone,

Just wondering is it possible to have more than one WHServer?

The reason is that I'm running one WHS on an old P4 2.8GHz, 4Gb PC3200 400Mhz Ram which is quite happy with around 3Tb in the pool storage and 1Tb Back all made up of USB externals.

Now I want to add a Hauppauge TV Sat card & an 8 Channel CCTV Card.

So I don't want to overload the system and wondered how or if it would cope, therefore setting up one WHS just for the CCTV?

The new WHS would be another P4 2.8Ghz with 4Gb Ram.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Hey everyone,

Just wondering is it possible to have more than one WHServer?

The reason is that I'm running one WHS on an old P4 2.8GHz, 4Gb PC3200 400Mhz Ram which is quite happy with around 3Tb in the pool storage and 1Tb Back all made up of USB externals.

Now I want to add a Hauppauge TV Sat card & an 8 Channel CCTV Card.

So I don't want to overload the system and wondered how or if it would cope, therefore setting up one WHS just for the CCTV?

The new WHS would be another P4 2.8Ghz with 4Gb Ram.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Shane

Lots of ideas. For starters it is not a problem running as many servers as you want however just keep in mind that the connector software can hook up one for backup so you have to pick you back up machine per client. Not a huge deal but important to know. As overloading it, I think you you should try it and see what happens. The system you have listed is fairly old and may not perform well doing all those tasks at once not to mention the extra heat and power. I would try it with everything and see what happens but if it does not work out, I would start looking at a faster and more efficient rig to carry you for the next few years.

Build a newer system and use the old one as a backup solution for the new one. If this was Aurora you could "pool" the storage together using DFS and have shares on both machines, but...that's another story.

I'd use the old one as a backup solution for the newer one.

Hey there,

Thanks for the replies.

Would love to buy a Triple or Quad Core machine but funds are limited for the mo, plus it would need to have PCI slots available which I'm not sure how many new motherboards have nowadays.

As suggested, might try and load it up and see how it goes or copes, if not its nice to know I can utilise the other machine as a Server and run them side by side.

If not I'll just have the next one purely for CCTV and leave the main server with the FreeSat card in.

Thanks again for your help :)