RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

JDLucas

Having a renewed interest in the MicroServer Gen 10 even though my N40L is still working flawlessly with Windows Home Server 2011.

The only way this server will break is to take a hammer to it!

Has anyone used the HPE ClearOS 7 on the Gen 10 and if so would love to see a review.

I've dropped it on my Gen8 as I don't use it anymore, just to see what its like, haven't gone past the initial install yet, still needs configuring..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How are you guys doing on this? I installed it on hyper-v to try it out, it does not seem to have any storage configuration whatsoever past installation. Marketplace has "Software Raid Monitor" and "Flexshare", but none of them give access to the harddrive/volumes config. Slick looking interface though :-)

During installation there are tons of options for creating volumes of all kinds, EXT4, ZFS, BTRFS, Linux Software RAID and more.

Edited by sunefred

I ended up bringing my Gen8 into work as a VM stopgap while I'm getting the hardware for the new unit we have here so didnt get past the initial installer wizard...

• 2 weeks later...

Some pretty serious errata appear to apply for ClearOS running on Gen10:

1) No multi-monitor support

2) Only supports VESA graphics mode

3) Processor used is technically not supported by upstream

4) NFS problems under load, probably due to the rubbish Marvell embedded disk controller, I expect this problem to occur under all heavy I/O (NFS or not).

All this from the official HP support page:

https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catalog/servers/proliant-servers/pip.models.hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10.1009955118.html

EDIT: On the upside, the page at least confirms IO-MMU support (if enabled in BIOS)

Edited by fricadelli
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ClearOS is a server operating system that is managed through a browser. It is designed to be used in the most optimal way for servers, headless. There's not a lot of activity required with a monitor and keyboard attached so we recapture those resources and optimize the server for performance without running an desktop OS on top of your server. The claim that there is no multi-monitor support and only VESA is supported is not accurate. The caveat here is that ClearOS doesn't ship installed with the drivers to support multi-monitor but in fact, the RPM to install them is kmod-amdgpu-1.1.0-1.v7.x86_64.rpm or later. But as I said, these are really not useful since users rarely stare at their server all day. But if you wanted to, if you need to, you can install the graphical desktop for ClearOS and it works pretty much the same as on CentOS/RHEL. This graphical environment includes video rates greater than VESA and in fact the platform will perform similar to CentOS and RHEL in most every way since it is based on CentOS.

https://www.clearos.com/resources/documentation/clearos/content:en_us:kb_7_install_graphical_desktop_for_clearos

The reason for the VESA comment in the errata is that the VESA mode is used in the install process for compatibility reasons in the console graphical login. The purpose of this graphical login that is separate and distinct from the instructions I linked. Principally it is geared to configure the network card up to the point that you can manage everything else from a browser. In fact, after registration the system will boot into a text-based TUI on terminal F1 and login shells on terminal F2 - F6.

And yes, the processor is technically not supported by the linux kernel yet because it is fairly new and waiting for the completion of certification upstream. So if you want to use Linux at all on this platform, you will have to wait for it to be 'technically' supported in Linux distro that you use once it is available. That being said. I've run my remote office on this platform since April and it has been rock solid. If you want to do NFS then you may or may not encounter that load issue. But this is a problem on RHEL and CentOS as well.

• Like 2