RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Put a 3,5" HDD on the ODD?

Calby

Hi,
I'm wondering if someone have modded there gen8 so they can have a 3,5" HDD in the ODD port?
I was thinking behind the DVD-dummy ?

Just for the sake of saying it, why would you put 3.5" drives in there and have to butcher the chassis, you can fit 2x 2.5" drives in there before as I had a pair of SSD's in the gap between the top of the drive module and under the optical drive (my Gen8 has the optical drive in it)...

2 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Just for the sake of saying it, why would you put 3.5" drives in there and have to butcher the chassis, you can fit 2x 2.5" drives in there before as I had a pair of SSD's in the gap between the top of the drive module and under the optical drive (my Gen8 has the optical drive in it)...

It seem that I'll put a 2,5" but I need a 3TB disk and I don't know if I can get any good 3TB 2.5" disks.

You could try to fit a 3.5" without butchering the unit, would need stripping down a bit, I've not got mine to hand to see if one would fit, I can have a look in the morning but presume you're a bit closer to your server than I am mine..

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Here's some 2.5" high capacity drives

4TB ST4000LM016

5TB ST5000LM000

Seagate Expansion 4 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5" has the ST4000LM016 in it for shucking (where i got mine from)

Seagate Backup Plus 5 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5" most prob has the ST5000LM000 in it for shucking

here's an image of the ST4000LM016 left hand side bottom

Sas.jpg

Edited by Shonk

14 hours ago, Shonk said:

Here's some 2.5" high capacity drives

4TB ST4000LM016

5TB ST5000LM000

Seagate Expansion 4 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5" has the ST4000LM016 in it for shucking (where i got mine from)

Seagate Backup Plus 5 TB USB 3.0 Portable 2.5" most prob has the ST5000LM000 in it for shucking

here's an image of the ST4000LM016 left hand side bottom

Sas.jpg

WOW that was a bunsh of HDD's, can you close the case?

I did order a WD Black 2,5" 7200rpm SATA 6gb/s 1TB 32MB cache - I need it to transcoding and temporary stuffs like that so I'm hoping it 'll bee faster then my storage that are WD red 5400rpm.

• Like 1