• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• rhbkweb
      By rhbkweb
      Hi all,

As you may all know, in the last days where discovered 2 big security flaws on CPUs named Meltdown and Spectre (https://spectreattack.com/)

I have a HP Microserver N40L and after search the HP support site I did not find any information about how and if HP will release any patch or update to the N40L in order to fix this security issues.

Does anyone has any news or information about how HP is handling this?

Edit: Just found the HP page about this at: http://h22208.www2.hpe.com/eginfolib/securityalerts/SCAM/Side_Channel_Analysis_Method.html and I don't see any mention to HP microserver N40L

Thanks
    • marty_oc
      By marty_oc
      Hi guys, this will be quite long, so be warned :-D

I run Microserver Gen8 for several years now. I have one issue which happens on any cold boot (swich off the server, then switch on; no need to remove power outlet). 
      My config is following:
      * Linux Debian operating system
      * SSD in optical drive bay connected to SATA intended for ODD, intended as main system disk holding Debian Linux
      * 3.5" HDD in bay 1 used as single drive
      * 3x 3.5" HDDs in bays 2-4 used in software RAID 5 (mdraid, no LVM)

To be able to boot from ODD SATA connector holding SSD with Linux, I needed to configure booting from integrated RAID controller and configure my SSD as one-disk-only RAID0 array. This works perfectly - I configure this logical volume in storage administrator and set it as bootable and server boots perfectly. I can see the SSD as /dev/sde and I can access it directly, it is seen by the system as regular SATA connected HDD. 
      Upon coldboot, HP RAID configuration is lost. If I boot from Debian Rescue disk (I have one permanently in iLO SD card slot), I can still see my SSD as /dev/sde and I can access all the data with no issues. When I open HP Storage Administrator and go through creating new array consisting of the SSD only, data is not lost and after setting it as bootable I can boot again without problems. 

So what now? 
      I have a backup plan that would consist of using SD card in iLO slot as boot drive that would hold just GRUB and will be able to hand off all stuff to my SSD. 
      However, I would like to find out what is wrong with the HP RAID controller. Is it me who is stupid or just the controller does not support this unusual config?

Ideas, anyone? 
    • juan3211
      By juan3211
      HI, I have purchased a GEN 10 microserver (version CPU AMD Opteron X3216 / 1.6 GHz with 8 Gb RAM). 

I have installed Server 2016 Standard (two hard disk: 2Tb and 4Tb RED) but I have a problem with task manager.

During some months after purchasing it, I had installed Windows Server 2012 Standard Evaluation Version. Now I have 2016 Standard.

With 2012 version I could see disk usage in task manager, with Server 2016 Standard NO.

I have checked device manager and everything has its driver.May be I have to update some default driver for this? I can't see anything for that in HP web page.

(The 2Tb and 4Tb hard disk are today Dynamic disk because I will mirror the 2Tb disk in 4Tb disk)

Regards,
    • juan3211
      By juan3211
      HI, I have purchased a GEN 10 microserver (version CPU AMD Opteron X3216 / 1.6 GHz with 8 Gb RAM). 

I have installed Server 2016 Standard (two hard disk: 2Tb and 4Tb RED) but I have a problem with memory.

In windows server it says: 8 Gb RAM (6,96 GB available). 

I have:
      install video driver from HP web page uninstall it and leave the basic default driver check all BIOS option to search for a option for the shared video card memory.  (I haven't found anything)  
      So no luck.

Does any body knows how to increase the available RAM ?

Regards,

• Steventon's IT World
      By Steventon's IT World
      Hi all,

New to the forum so hello all 

I wrote about this in much more detail on my blog here with instructions.

I recently installed dual fans on my Gen 8 heatsink after installing the Intel Core i3 3240 processor. Installing the i3 processor gave me a huge increase in performance but came at a cost. That cost being heat and a lot of it. So I ordered some 30x30 fans and installed them onto the heatsink. 

I was extremely careful of placement. Putting anything in the middle of the heatsink fins (anything holding the fans) could cause heat spots and that's not something I wanted the put my new processor through. So I managed to cable tie the fans to the screws holding the heatsink to the motherboard. Again being careful as to not apply too much pressure to the screws.

The fans are rather stable seeing as just two cable ties are holding it down. The method works very well and I am really impressed with it. I have seen a huge 20°C decrease in temperature readings when the server is at full CPU load.

I thought I would share this method as other people might be interested in.