• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Anatoli
      By Anatoli
      I've pinged Schoon about some questions I had regarding the Gen8 upgrade but I guess a community discussion will be more fun.
      The ultimate config
      The final config I'm planning to have is the following:
      E3-1265L CPU found on eBay at around $90 (no cheaper ones ) 16GB RAM which I'm still looking for (and want a cheap one, c'mon!) Main Drive made of two SSDs in RAID 1: Samsung MZ-75E500B/EU 500GB SSD Crucial CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500GB SSD Storage Drive made of four HDDs in RAID 10 (I'll probably get some large Seagates)  
      Basically, what I would like from the Gen8 is to be a container host as well as a data storage unit. The OS and the VMs will be located on the SSD mainly, if larger storage is needed it could be nice to link it to the 4 disk array. I would like to RAID the thing using mdadm and virtualize using KVM so I would more likely use FreeNAS, Debian or Ubuntu as OS. Any thoughts about this? Suggestions?
      Getting down to the ports
      After looking into it for quite a long time now, I see the Gen8 motherboard has a max 5 disk capacity using all SAS/SATA ports. This won't fit my need since I need the 6th drive, and I need to get a RAID controller but since I'm going to RAID via software I won't need that and can definitely go for just a SATA PCI-e card with ya boy Marvell 88SE9215 instead.
      What do you think about this? Am I doing good at computers so far?
    • RyanG8
      By RyanG8
      Hi all, Thought I would make a post about a recent project I started as it may be of some use as it's a fairly good base for a home server.
      I recently bought a HP Proliant ML350p G8 on eBay for around $350, It had no drives, a very low spec E5-2609 4-core and 8GB of ram.
      My first problem with this server was that it was loud, not really rack mount loud but too loud for me in a quiet room. So I thought hey! why not watercool it, so I set out doing research. I removed all three 92mm delta fans and spent an evening working out how to fool the system into thinking it still had them so it would let me boot it and see that all the fans were working, this was done using jumper cables in the hot plug slots; connecting the two black grounds and the single yellow signal pins together in each 5-pin header, there was no documentation on this anywhere that I could find so it was all trial and error, I hope this helps if you are considering watercooling any G8/G9 Proliant server as I imagine its fairly similar.
      I also wanted a bit more punch so I had a look around and settled for a E5-2630v2 6-core from eBay for $70
      Next was sourcing watercooling for it, I have gone for a single closed loop Corsair H90 $65 and a Asetek 2011 Narrow ILM ring adaptor $8 found HERE to fit the 2011 sockets found on the ML350, these bits are being delivered in the next few days so I will update with photos and results when the H90 is fitted! I might get another 2630v2 if all goes well as it has two 2011 sockets available.
      This box will be used as a development environment eventually, probably running Hyper-V but I may throw a graphics card in it before and see how it does in some games just for the fun of it   
      Hope this is of interest.
    • npapanik
      By npapanik
      As in subject, Service Pack for ProLiant 2018.03.0 (SPP) does not support Microserver Gen 10?
      Any explanation?
    • Gulftown
      By Gulftown
      I have bought Seagate Enterprise ST8000NM055 drives.
      There are few things you should know about this model - it is expensive compared to many other 8Tb models, it has extended warranty, it is made with closed drive case so the mounting holes are not screwed through.
      The problem is I couldn't put the hole screw inside so the drive isn't fixed and I also got a problem wheh putting the drive rail inside the cage as the screw top makes it too wide.

Has anyone met this problem?
      I've bought some spare screws on Ebay to shorten them (I don't want to mess arount with genuine screws) so they can fit but the parcel was lost.