Sign in to follow this  
schoondoggy

Sonos: How it started

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy

Interesting read on Sonos:

http://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-innovation-history

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 3.02.07 PM.png

John MacFarlane moved to Santa Barbara in 1990 to get his Ph.D. from University of California-Santa Barbara. Instead he saw the promise of the Internet and built Software.com along with Craig, Tom and Trung. They merged Software.com with Phone.com in 2000 to create Openwave, and soon left with new, hard-earned wealth and unanswered questions about what to do next.

Whatever was going to be next, they knew they weren’t leaving Santa Barbara. The lifestyle, the ocean beaches, the weather – everything about the place compelled them to stay. It was, perhaps, the beginning of a habit of unorthodox choices to add both a degree of difficulty and a fresh perspective to the work.

As Tom describes it, the view from Santa Barbara contained four big insights drawn, in his words, from being “at the core of the Internet as it was blowing up”:

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 3.01.14 PM.png

• Like 1

Dave    277
Dave

Wow, great find. 

ShadowPeo    33
ShadowPeo

Yes, and still no airplay support or support for 7.1 let alone ATMOS. having said that I am still a (limited) customer of their equipment

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy
9 hours ago, ShadowPeo said:

Yes, and still no airplay support or support for 7.1 let alone ATMOS. having said that I am still a (limited) customer of their equipment

You forgot to mention there is no support for voice assistants like Echo or Google, yet.

I am not an Apple guy. I get that Airplay is a big deal to users that live in Apple's ecosystem. Sonos supporting Airplay would give better integration with Airplay devices, but what does that give a user that they can not do today with the Sonos app?

The Playbar and Playbase are limited to 5.1, but most people that buy them don't buy the extra Sonos devices to deploy it as 5.1. Another issue is they get their audio from the TV, so the optical port on the TV need to pass 5.1. Many do not: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1931/~/television-compatibility-with-the-playbar-or-playbase  If you want 7.1 or ATMOS, it would be best to build a home theater system. Playbar or Playbase excels in easy of use. Very family friendly. Most people buying Playbar or Playbase would not implement a home theater system due to complexity or aesthetics.

Sonos is not perfect. It is arguably expensive, but I have yet to find another product that offers speakers, connects and amps, that work together this well. It is a very music centrist product. No one has the breadth of streaming services Sonos offers and their app is very powerful and flexible.

ShadowPeo    33
ShadowPeo

Yes, I did forget voice assistants you are right, but they are not really big in this part of the world currently due to limited opportunities for their use. I also forgot to mention that it is only 10/100 and 2.4Ghz 802.11G, not even bloody N I had to turn G back on to allow them to connect wirelessly, but I digress.

Sonos App sucks for Podcasts and Audiobooks due to the fact it does not sync the position of the media to the other apps thus when moving between devices/locations such as car/house it does not pick up where you left off.

Whilst I understand the technical limitations in some respects, the dig was meant more to be aimed at the fact that they have not really evolved the hardware, particularly in regards to GBE and the use of 5Ghz 802.11n or AC. They have this hardware that in theory should be able to handle 7.1/ATMOS etc due to the connected nature of the devices and they seem to have stagnated on older technologies and standards. I am no developer and have no idea of the intricacies in getting all the speakers to play nicely together but in my mind, as it is a "connected" device this should be a damn sight more simple than having to replace the receiver or alike on a standard HT install.

Oh and whilst I am thinking about it the fact that the damned app does not allow me to create permanent groups of speakers, for example, I want the one in the bedroom and the bathroom to be grouped together so I can play whatever in the morning as I get up and have my shower before leaving for work

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy
On 6/23/2017 at 2:37 AM, ShadowPeo said:

Yes, I did forget voice assistants you are right, but they are not really big in this part of the world currently due to limited opportunities for their use. I also forgot to mention that it is only 10/100 and 2.4Ghz 802.11G, not even bloody N I had to turn G back on to allow them to connect wirelessly, but I digress.

Sonos App sucks for Podcasts and Audiobooks due to the fact it does not sync the position of the media to the other apps thus when moving between devices/locations such as car/house it does not pick up where you left off.

Whilst I understand the technical limitations in some respects, the dig was meant more to be aimed at the fact that they have not really evolved the hardware, particularly in regards to GBE and the use of 5Ghz 802.11n or AC. They have this hardware that in theory should be able to handle 7.1/ATMOS etc due to the connected nature of the devices and they seem to have stagnated on older technologies and standards. I am no developer and have no idea of the intricacies in getting all the speakers to play nicely together but in my mind, as it is a "connected" device this should be a damn sight more simple than having to replace the receiver or alike on a standard HT install.

Oh and whilst I am thinking about it the fact that the damned app does not allow me to create permanent groups of speakers, for example, I want the one in the bedroom and the bathroom to be grouped together so I can play whatever in the morning as I get up and have my shower before leaving for work

I run my Sonos system in Boost mode, so it is not on my WiFi. It is recommended to run in Boost mode if you have more than 3-4 Sonos devices and it is required if you are running a Playbar or Playbase in 5.1.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046

I use PocketCasts for listening to podcasts. It does a great job of keeping track of where you are at in a podcast as you move from device to device. Unfortunately, Sonos does not support PocketCasts. I have made requests for Sonos to offer PocketCasts as a service. Which of the podcast services were you trying to use with Sonos?

I understand the concern about not having latest tech, but I am not sure of the need for GbE on a music streaming device. Lack of 5G WiFi support is an issue, but Boost mode is a way around that and is recommended for larger systems. I do not see a technical reason why they could not support 7.1 for home theater. I do not think many Sonos customers would be interested in a 7.1 system as it would cost $2200. I must believe some of the limitations or old technology used in the networking aspects of Sonos also relate to their ability to offer full functional compatibility across all products they ever made and synchronized sound across speaker groups and party mode.

Speakers/devices stay grouped until you remove the group. Are you saying your speakers are not staying in a group?

Edit: Sorry I did not finish the thought on podcast. With Pocket Casts managing all of my podcasts on all devices everything stays in sync. To play podcasts on Sonos, I use the web player on the Pocket Casts website on a Windows 8 device (Toshiba tablet) and use the 'Play To' function. This should also work on Edge in Windows 10 with the 'Cast Media To Device' function, but it is hit and miss. It appears that Win 8 is more DLNA centric and Win 10 is more Miracast centric. I need to work on the Windows 10 side of this. Of course, the best solution would be for Sonos to support Pocket Casts.    

ShadowPeo    33
ShadowPeo
On 6/24/2017 at 3:02 PM, schoondoggy said:

I run my Sonos system in Boost mode, so it is not on my WiFi. It is recommended to run in Boost mode if you have more than 3-4 Sonos devices and it is required if you are running a Playbar or Playbase in 5.1.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046

I use PocketCasts for listening to podcasts. It does a great job of keeping track of where you are at in a podcast as you move from device to device. Unfortunately, Sonos does not support PocketCasts. I have made requests for Sonos to offer PocketCasts as a service. Which of the podcast services were you trying to use with Sonos?

I understand the concern about not having latest tech, but I am not sure of the need for GbE on a music streaming device. Lack of 5G WiFi support is an issue, but Boost mode is a way around that and is recommended for larger systems. I do not see a technical reason why they could not support 7.1 for home theater. I do not think many Sonos customers would be interested in a 7.1 system as it would cost $2200. I must believe some of the limitations or old technology used in the networking aspects of Sonos also relate to their ability to offer full functional compatibility across all products they ever made and synchronized sound across speaker groups and party mode.

Speakers/devices stay grouped until you remove the group. Are you saying your speakers are not staying in a group?

Edit: Sorry I did not finish the thought on podcast. With Pocket Casts managing all of my podcasts on all devices everything stays in sync. To play podcasts on Sonos, I use the web player on the Pocket Casts website on a Windows 8 device (Toshiba tablet) and use the 'Play To' function. This should also work on Edge in Windows 10 with the 'Cast Media To Device' function, but it is hit and miss. It appears that Win 8 is more DLNA centric and Win 10 is more Miracast centric. I need to work on the Windows 10 side of this. Of course, the best solution would be for Sonos to support Pocket Casts.    

Sorry for the delay in response. I will have a look a boost mode on the system as that will get the one wireless device off, the others are a wired so it's not too much of a problem for those devices.

As for podcast app, I have been using the default one in iOS as I have never needed anything else, I shall take a look at Pocket Casts soon though as I have heard many good things about it and it has been on my list to check out. However, it seems that it will put an intermediary layer between my device and the Sonos system, which for the most part I have been trying to avoid due to extra failure points (although I have been considering building a RPI into an airplay receiver, or chasing down some old ATV 2/3's)

As for grouping, I have not been able to get the things to a group at all, given your comment it must be something I am clearly doing wrong and as such I will put more effort into that.