RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cannot see bay hard drives in Windows 10

vipergrm

Hi folks,

I hope someone can help me.  I finally got Windows 10 installed on my Gen8 Microserver.  I am have a 32GB SSD connected to the ODD port and it boots no problem at all however, I have 2 HDDs connected to each of the SATA bays and Windows does not see them.  There is nothing in Disk Management etc.  There is data on them and they are formatted as EXT4.  I installed Ext2Fsd which I understand should enable me to at least read the data from the drives but I can't even see them.  

I verified in the HP Intelligent Array utility that the drives are being seen OK.  I also tried creating 4 logical RAID 0 volumes but still Windows does not see them.  Am I doing something noobish?  I can't work out what I've missed.  Appreciate any help.  Thank you!

I have 4 drives in the bays. I don't need any redundancy as it's really just media and photos which I have backed up online anyway. I can't for the life of me work out why they aren't showing. I can only suspect a RAID driver issue maybe? It all looks to be OK on device manager at least. 

Can you post a screen shot of SSA with all five drives configured as single drive RAID0? If SSA see's the drives and presents them as individual drives Windows should pick them up. Do you have backup's of the data on these drives?

Sure. I'll post a picture later. Yes it is definitely picking up the drives. Both in unassigned mode and when configured as 4 logical RAID 0 drives. Thanks. 

Sorted!  I put the SATA Controller into AHCI RAID mode, rebooted and all the drives were recognised however, as expected, Windows would not but from the SSD connected to the ODD port.  I then reverted back to B120i Auto RAID and the drives were recognised fine in Windows (using Ext2Fsd).  I'm going to to partition all the drives to NTFS anyway.  No idea why that happened but it's all good now :-)