RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows OS on SSD Drive using Slot #1 - Possible?

kroma

Hi All, I am desperately in need of some assistance here - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I purchased an HP ProLiant Gen8 G1610T MicroServer a couple of years ago along with an 120GB SSD drive with the intention of simply connecting that into the ODD slot and installing the OS onto it and using 4 x brand new 1TB drives (all taken out of HP desktop PCs) preferably in some kind of RAID in the four front bays.  It then of course later transpired that achieving this is either impossible or at the very least difficult and a bit hacky involving Micro SD cards and whatever else...

Anyway, to cut a long story short I got so fed up with trying to do this that the server has remained untouched until now and my existing server is really on it's last legs so I would still really like to use this box and I am no longer bothered about using RAID or Storage Spaces or even AHCI - I just need something reliable that will run Windows on the SSD and offer me 4 x separate 1TB partitions to save my data!

I remembered someone saying previously that you can't boot off the ODD connection (I am calling that connection #5) so with that in mind it occurred to me that I should be able to unscrew the connector from the back of the first drive bay (I am calling that #1) and then connecting the SSD to that (just sitting loose at the back of the case at the moment) and then threading the ODD cable and a power cable through the hole at the back of the first drive bay for a 1TB drive to use, e.g.

1 (128GB SSD)
5,2,3,4 (1TB SATA)

Hope that explanation makes sense. As far as I can tell this is effectively the same thing as someone else achieved by using an adapter so that their SSD would physically fit into the front #1 slot.  Can someone confirm if this arrangement should theoretically be working okay?  Because the issue I have now is that in either Legacy or AHCI mode the Windows Setup is only displaying 1 of the 1TB drives instead of showing me 5 available drives.

I'm also really starting to doubt the actual hardware at this point.  A couple of years ago, the last thing to happen (and the final straw!) was that I spoke to HP and for some reason they ended up sending me another motherboard which I fitted and still couldn't get anything working.  I may have abandoned my initial RAID effort before and actually ran into the exact same issue I am posting about now back then as well which is why I went to them about it, unfortunately I cannot remember.  In any case the HP call ended with them saying - "I notice you are using desktop drives, these are not supported. Until you purchase HP branded drives we cannot help you any further" which I thought was ridiculous but despite speaking to several people there they were adamant of that position and hence the box has been a complete waste of money to me so far as I didn't want to buy any more HDDs when I have plenty of brand new Seagate ones here. 

Does anyone know if my Seagate drives should work or if "server" type drives are genuinely needed?  If the server does have a hardware issue, are there other components that I should consider trying to purchase and replace like maybe the drive bay backplain? 

One other point is that I was hoping to be able to download the "Service Pack for ProLiant (SPP) Version 2017.04.0" and burning that to DVD to try to update component firmware and things to see if that might help at all but apparently you need an active agreement with them to be able to download that now - if anyone knows differently or is able to link me to the file that would be a great help.

Okay if anyone has any information they can share that might help me with this I really would be extremely grateful :)

Edited by kroma

Easier would be to put the SSD into slot 1 then put the 4th 1tb drive in the ODD bay or mount with a SDDM bracket.  removing the 3 other 1tb drives you can put the ssd slot 1 attaching it to the sata/power port or buy a slot adapter

Hi yodafett,

Thanks for the response, but leaving aside for the moment the question of what is easier or what is neater (adapters, mounts etc.) I am just simply trying to get it up and running at all at the moment and wondering why the server will only detect one of the five drives that I have connected! 

I think it could be the drive connected to the ODD port (#5) that it can see and the other four it cannot so perhaps there may be an issue with the drive backplain?  Just speculating really.  Again here is how the drives are connected at the moment:

1 (128GB SSD)
5,2,3,4 (1TB SATA)

Thanks again for your time and for trying to assist me with this.

You should start with getting the firmware and BIOS up-to-date. If you search the forum you will find links that forum members have given out to download the latest SPP. You can boot from the ODD SATA port if you are using the B120i. You would setup the SSD as a single drive RAID0 and load Windows on it. Then with the four drives in the front bays you can setup each of them as a single drive RAID0 to work with them individually or you could run them as a RAID10. Several forum members have rerouted cabling to use SATA port 1 in the ODD area for a SSD. Then you can run AHCI as the SSD will be booting from port 1. You do not need to use HP branded drives. If you are not seeing the drives mounted in the front bays be sure that the SFF-8087 cable that connects the system board to the back-plane is securely plugged into the system board. Also make sure the power connection to the back-plane is still connected. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Keylimesoda said:

Schoon, if you reroute port 1 to an SSD, can you still use the ODD connection for a 5th HDD?

Yes, but you would need to manually connect the data and power connections unless you can find an adapter that fits the backplane.

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2017 at 6:51 PM, schoondoggy said:

You should start with getting the firmware and BIOS up-to-date. If you search the forum you will find links that forum members have given out to download the latest SPP. You can boot from the ODD SATA port if you are using the B120i. You would setup the SSD as a single drive RAID0 and load Windows on it. Then with the four drives in the front bays you can setup each of them as a single drive RAID0 to work with them individually or you could run them as a RAID10. Several forum members have rerouted cabling to use SATA port 1 in the ODD area for a SSD. Then you can run AHCI as the SSD will be booting from port 1. You do not need to use HP branded drives. If you are not seeing the drives mounted in the front bays be sure that the SFF-8087 cable that connects the system board to the back-plane is securely plugged into the system board. Also make sure the power connection to the back-plane is still connected. 

Hi schoondoggy,

Sorry for the incredibly slow reply, I just wanted to say a massive THANK YOU for this post as it got me up and running!  It forced me to look again at the powering of the drives.  I think the Molex splitter I was using must have had a loose wire in it or something (this has happened before with those cheap adapters, one of the four wires comes a bit loose from the connector).  To cut a long story short I sealed all the connectors up tightly using electrical tape and voila all five drives are now visible to the system :)

I ended up just using AHCI instead of RAID and setting up the four 1TB drives as two mirrored arrays in Windows.

What I also did (to cure my OCD) is to shuffle the last three back-plain connectors to the left by one space, so that the ODD bay cable then feeds into slot four in the front bay.  Doing this means that the front bays 1-4 match exactly with how Windows reports the drives as 1-4 (with the SSD being on 0).  Otherwise, you end up with 4-1-2-3 at the front which slightly confuses things from the point of setting up two mirrors!

I also purchased a "7+15 Pin Male to Female SATA Extension cable" for about £2 which was really useful for getting the SSD drive up into the ODD area at the top of the server:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-7-15-Pin-Data-power-NEW-Combo-Serial-ATA-Male-to-Female-Extension-SATA/322171144164?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for prodding me in the right direction.  I got there eventually after a couple of years of this thing sitting in the cupboard and can now finally retire my ancient server after about 10 years of service!

Best,

kroma

Edited by kroma
  • Thanks 1