RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

N40L WHS 2011 seems to be unexpectedly hibernating

TomP

Since the last Windows update, I keep finding that my N40L WHS 2011 server has powered down several times a day. It has completed any scheduled backups and when I power on then login, it returns to the state I'd left it in so I'm guessing it must have gone into some kind of hibernation.

Help / advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

TomP

Update: when I power on, it boots straight into System Resume and goes to the user login screen showing 'Administrator is already logged in'.

Does this shine any light on what is happening?

Drashna Jaelre

Check the power management options, honestly.  Chances are that it's "falling asleep" based on these settings.

Worst case, set it to "High Performance" mode (in the power options), as this will outright prevent it from sleeping/hibernating. 

TomP
On ‎18‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:57 PM, Drashna Jaelre said:

Check the power management options, honestly.  Chances are that it's "falling asleep" based on these settings.

Worst case, set it to "High Performance" mode (in the power options), as this will outright prevent it from sleeping/hibernating. 

Thanks Chris,

Took me a while to find the 'hibernate' settings as the were under the sleep tab, so I doubled the time and so far, it has not switched off overnight as it had in nights previous.

I had noticed that backups were going quicker and finishing earlier after system moved to SSD, so I guess there was time for sleep to cut in where it had never before.

Best Regards...TomP

Drashna Jaelre

haha, yeah.  SSDs make everything go faster. :) 

So that is entirely possible.