RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
matthewharmon102

HP P212 and Xpenology

matthewharmon102

So after over a year, I have finally purchased the parts I need to expand my storage. I am having issues getting it set up and working.

I have 2 gen8 MicroServers. Server 1 runs Xpenology, with 4x WD Red drives in the internal drive bays connected to the on board B120i, and 1x Crucial 960GB SSD Cache drive connected to the ODD port. The system boots from a USB stick. Server 2 runs Windows 10 and Plex from a 120GB SSD connected to the ODD port. It also has 2x 2TB drives connected to the B120i

What I have done is installed an HP 212 card in Server 1, and connected the internal drive bay of server 2 to the P212 in server 1. Server 1 recognises the P212 and can se the 2x 2TB drives.

The problem occurs once Xpenology boots. It doesn't see any additional drives, just the 4 drives connected to the B120i. When I first set up the server, I did no configuration on the B120i, so I assume this is running in ACHI mode, and no raid is enabled. I don't know if I need to set this up on the P212, but I haven't found an option for this.

I don't yet know what firmware the P212 is running, but I will be running the SPP updated tonight to see if a firmware update sorts it out, but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas

schoondoggy

As far as I know Xpenology does not work well with RAID cards. Unfortunately, the P212 does not have a AHCI or JBOD mode. You could try a LSI card with IT firmware or a Marvell based HBA.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

matthewharmon102

You are exactly right, the P212 is simply not supported!

I have seen a good price on the LSI SAS9201-16e, I believe this is compatible, so I will order this in the next couple of days

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Al_Borges
      By Al_Borges
      Dropbox is deprecating  the "free" tier of their storage plans

got an email from them this evening  that "I cannot link any new devices" and the only alternative is to upgrade to a $10/month plan

This is from their forums

"Dropbox device limit
      Dropbox Limits Its Free Accounts To Maximum Of Three Devices. Previously, there was no such limit implemented. According to the Dropbox website, as of March, users of its free Basic tier can add their account to a maximum of three devices. However, if they already had the device linked to more than three devices, then they will continue to function. "
      I don't know how hard and fast this is  -   I tried installing a dropbox instance on my cell phone and couldn't this evening -    I think my main PC

is on the list -   I couldn't find a listing of existing "connected devices"  on my dropbox account.

I don't even know what my other two devices are -   probably long gone  my old windows cell phone for example.

Just as Well -    Dropbox was my main cloud storage about what 10 years ago but with the improvements to OneDrive/Gdrive, and my eventual use of Office 365 storage became kinda moot.   will probably just cancel my account, which is probably what they wanted anyway

what is the old saying  "If you aren't paying for the product, you are the product"    

also   "once bitten twice shy"     Cloud Storage is not a  true  backup  

due to Crashplan's demise,    this winter I backed up all my irreplaceable data  ( family photos, documents)  on   M-Disk archival Blu ray disks.  

I have a copy in my firesafe and at my Brother's house  in another state.   

• pksparks
      By pksparks
      Good evening,

after checking my ILo4, version2.61 on my Gen8 hp microservet, i saw an exclamation mark at cpld-pal0. It is now version 0x06.
      i have read that there is an version 0x32.

anybody who has this version, and can provide me with a download link?

Attached my firmware configuration. Any suggestions for any updating? Think most is up to date?

rgds
      patrick
      Sorry can’t upload photo, error 200.
    • Richardracer
      By Richardracer
      Good afternoon,

Newbie here, so please be gentle with me!

I have an 18 month old Gen8 server bought new but now out of warranty, so limited access to HPE updates.  My Gen8 has 8Gb memory, Recently added Xeon 1220v2, standard disk controller (122i ) and 4 off 3.5” drives giving 6Tb of storage under storage spaces.  OS on SATA HDD  sitting in ODD space as recommended on here.  I was running Win10 Pro, but after upgrading processor and trying to update drivers with Intelligent Provisioning, I fell foul of the expired warranty.  I also lost my printer driver for HP laser jet and my sound drivers (usb connected sound card).

To cut a long and painful journey a bit shorter, I am re-installing Win10 Pro from DVD, with licence key under IP.  My question as someone without warranty, but with a copy of the SPP download (ISO?), how do I install the various drivers needed from the SPP and do I need to update the firmware for the Xeon processor, if so how?  I read on here that the original 2014 J06 firmware does not have a thermal solution for Xeon processor and ILO shows high temps for some components.

I am reasonable knowledgeable in Windows of old and have Rufus to create bootable usb sticks, but unsure how to get from SPP ISO image as downloaded (871795_001_spp-2017.04.0-SPP2017040.2017_0420.14).

Any help from experienced gurus much appreciated!

regards

Richardracer.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I installed a BU50N Blu-ray 4K drive in my HPE ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer.  Worked out well, I'm using PowerDVD13 -- I had to restart the "Machine" several times before it saw the ODD but "Machine" finally figured it out.

• iwilltry
      By iwilltry
      Hi there,
      I hope this topic fits here just right.
      So a few days ago, I moved my Microserver Gen8 to a friend's place and resetted it.
      When we set it up with new disks, the raid-creation in OpenMediaVault (Debian 9.6) failed.
      `smartctl` tests passed just fine though and vendor-tools also didn't report any drive errors.
      What happened?
      - I start the Raid creation via `mdadm` and after a while (random blocks and times), it fails and the second disk seems to fail (e.g. sda and sdb are creating a raid, then sdb gets "kicked out" and reread as e.g. sdd, sometimes even with only a few GB of space instead of 3TB).
      I tried attaching the second disk on ata2 and ata3, but it keeps failing. The one on ata1 works just fine though.
      I tried different disks and vendors, but get the same results.
      There are some errors in `dmesg`, but I don't know what they mean. I pasted them here: https://pastebin.com/raw/XASQJ6cy
      What I did here: I stopped the raid to re-create it, but then didn't do anything for a while and the error still came up.

Can someone help me with this? (As a wild guess, I'd say that somethings wrong with the SATA connections at least on ata2 and ata3).

Thanks in advance