Jump to content
Dave

eero announces Gen 2, eero Beacon, and more

Recommended Posts

whsbuss

I got my eero 3-pack over a month ago for $389 minus a $15 gift card. It has been the best wifi experience I have ever had. For the first few days I constantly checked signal strength, whether or not my Apple devices switched between nodes, and check the iOS app. Since then I have forgotten about all that. Full coverage in my 2800 sq ft 2-story home, no dead spots and great speed. If gen-2 is as good, I would totally recommend getting it. I tried and tested all the mesh solutions prior to settling on the eero.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dave
18 hours ago, adammiarka said:

If you are like me...you'll regret not buying the 3 eeros and always wonder if it was a better setup... ;)

 

or six...

 

:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

Hopefully one of the tech sites will do a hands-on review soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil

I currently have 6 eero's all connected via ethernet and pre-ordered the pro system of the gen 2s. I'm hoping that I can reduce the overall number of eero's that I need in the house with using the new 2nd gen 3-pack and then supplementing in maybe 1 or 2 spots if necessary with the gen 1s for further coverage in some of the edge locations like broadcasting out to the Rachio irrigation controller and Nest outdoor cameras. Overall I like my eero's, but I'm hoping the eeroOS 3.0 alleviates some of the issues I've come across with eero's randomly seeming to go offline and then come back a minute or two later. I think it has to do with my Sonos devices as well, but hoping the combo of the new firmware and next gen equipment will help smooth things out. I have close to 60 internet connected devices at any time around the house due to using nest protects, thermostats, cameras, Sonos, phones, tablets, computers, smart tvs, etc. and I notice almost on a daily basis that some devices or another drop their wifi connections and then come back online after a few minutes. I'm wondering if the MU-MIMO Wave 2 support will help at all with any of this. We shall see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whsbuss
4 hours ago, Neil said:

I currently have 6 eero's all connected via ethernet and pre-ordered the pro system of the gen 2s. I'm hoping that I can reduce the overall number of eero's that I need in the house with using the new 2nd gen 3-pack and then supplementing in maybe 1 or 2 spots if necessary with the gen 1s for further coverage in some of the edge locations like broadcasting out to the Rachio irrigation controller and Nest outdoor cameras. Overall I like my eero's, but I'm hoping the eeroOS 3.0 alleviates some of the issues I've come across with eero's randomly seeming to go offline and then come back a minute or two later. I think it has to do with my Sonos devices as well, but hoping the combo of the new firmware and next gen equipment will help smooth things out. I have close to 60 internet connected devices at any time around the house due to using nest protects, thermostats, cameras, Sonos, phones, tablets, computers, smart tvs, etc. and I notice almost on a daily basis that some devices or another drop their wifi connections and then come back online after a few minutes. I'm wondering if the MU-MIMO Wave 2 support will help at all with any of this. We shall see.

I'm also a 3-pack eero user. Question: when you lose internet connectivity do your Nest local stuff still work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jason

Yes, they still work but just don't transfer any data back to the server or download any updates made via the web.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whsbuss
11 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes, they still work but just don't transfer any data back to the server or download any updates made via the web.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

And I would assume remote Nest or HomeKit apps would not work until connectivity returns. But at least if your at home and need to change the thermostat you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil
36 minutes ago, whsbuss said:

 

And I would assume remote Nest or HomeKit apps would not work until connectivity returns. But at least if your at home and need to change the thermostat you can.

 

That is correct that even if the internet is down or my eeros have gone offline for some reason I can still manually control my Nest thermostats and the protects still function, you just don't get alerts and can't control anything through the app. The Nest cams are useless while the internet is down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
whsbuss
22 hours ago, Neil said:

 

That is correct that even if the internet is down or my eeros have gone offline for some reason I can still manually control my Nest thermostats and the protects still function, you just don't get alerts and can't control anything through the app. The Nest cams are useless while the internet is down.

 

The apps need to contact their central control and with the internet down, that would be understandable. I don't have Nest cameras - do they send their content to the internet or recorded locally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neil
On 6/17/2017 at 7:52 AM, whsbuss said:

 

The apps need to contact their central control and with the internet down, that would be understandable. I don't have Nest cameras - do they send their content to the internet or recorded locally?

 

The content is recorded in their cloud, no local access or storage to my knowledge

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Similar Content

    • Dave
      By Dave
      Arlo Pro by NETGEAR Security System with Siren (VMS4230) – 2 Rechargeable Wire-Free HD Cameras with Audio, Indoor/Outdoor, Night Vision (Certified Refurbished) - $269.99 Regular price is $400
      I remember paying $280 for base and one camera.  Nice deal!

       
      http://amzn.to/2Iyghrs
    • Dave
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Peepholes were so 2017.  EZVIZ has announced  the EZVIZ Lookout Smart Door Viewer which will turn your door's peephole into a camera and touchscreen display!  You can also use the app to view who is outside your door!  Not only that, but  EZVIZ has also announced ezGuard, which is an outdoor/indoor all-in-one home security system that combines a full HD professional grade camera, smart siren, warning strobe light and onboard recording capability in one compact package.
       
      Press release is below and stay tuned to RESET.FM podcast and this forum for more.  I'll be speaking with EZVIZ at CES 2018 and will show you everything!
       
      You can also see their entire CES coverage here - http://www.ezvizlife.com/ces2018
       
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       
      CITY OF INDUSTRY, Calif., January 10, 2018– EZVIZ Inc., a leading provider of video technology for the smart home, today announced the launch of its first smart entry security solution, the Lookout Smart Door Viewer, and ezGuard, a new addition to the EZVIZ rugged outdoor home security camera line.
       
      Through the EZVIZ app, these latest additions to the EZVIZ ecosystem can integrate with each other as well as existing EZVIZ products, and third-party voice services like Amazon Alexa, to provide an enhanced smart home experience. The ezGuard 24-7 live video monitoring and recording captures activity on the outer perimeter, and the Lookout Smart Door Viewer automatically takes over at the entryway of the home.
       
      EZVIZ’s award-winning Lookout Smart Door Viewer is a two-part smart home door entry video solution that enables an existing peephole in any door to become part of the connected home. Encased in a sleek and durable zinc alloy body, the EZVIZ Lookout Smart Door Viewer includes a high definition professional grade camera lens equipped with infrared adaptive technology for night vision. The lens connects via a secured cable through the peephole, and the action outside can be seen on a touchscreen display on the inside of the door.
       
      The EZVIZ Lookout Smart Door Viewer’s extended remote viewing capability provides the convenience of secure viewing from anywhere through the app versus having to physically walk up to the door. Homeowners can create a gallery of trusted visitors in the app, and the facial recognition technology within the Lookout Smart Door Viewer quickly and accurately identifies who is at the door so the homeowner can act accordingly. An adjustable microphone, loudspeaker and integrated chime also make it a smart video doorbell.
       
      EZVIZ’s other latest offering, the ezGuard, is an outdoor/indoor all-in-one home security system that combines a full HD professional grade camera, smart siren, warning strobe light and onboard recording capability in one compact package. The ezGuard has a proactive defense function that includes a 100 dB siren and lamp to alert the intruder that they’ve been spotted. The ezGuard’s motion detection sends your phone a live video feed of what’s going on outside. 
       
      The ezGuard casing complements any décor, and can be installed outside of the front porch, over a driveway or near a gate. The ezGuard dual outdoor antennas ensure a strong connection to a home’s Wi-Fi signal even at a distance.
       
      Its built-in waterproof microphone and speaker support two-way talk for convenient and secure communication. Homeowners can talk to a person outside even before they get close to the home’s entryway. They can tell a delivery driver to leave the package at the gate, or deter a prowler without putting them in physical proximity.
       
      "EZVIZ brings our customers peace of mind through our intelligent, intuitive and integrable products like the Lookout Smart Door Viewer and the ezGuard because they help them see, capture, share and protect what’s most valuable to them," said Albert Lin, general manager of EZVIZ. 
       
      The EZVIZ Lookout Smart Door Viewer and the ezGuard, will retail for $229.99 and $109.99, respectively. They will be available to the general public through Amazon, North American Retail and the EZVIZ website in the first quarter of 2018. EZVIZ CloudPlay, an optional cloud storage subscription, will also be available for both the Lookout Smart Door Viewer and the ezGuard.
       
      See the EZVIZ Lookout Smart Door Viewer and the ezGuard in the EZVIZ booth 41321 at  Smart Home Marketplace at CES 2018, which runs January 9-12, at the Sands Expo in Las Vegas.
       
      About EZVIZ
      EZVIZ, Inc., provides smart home security systems through its versatile cameras and cloud-based platform. The intelligent and intuitive products from EZVIZ enable customers to see, capture, share and protect what’s valuable to them. Located in City of Industry, California, EZVIZ is the consumer and residentially focused subsidiary of Hikvision, the world’s largest provider of video surveillance solutions. 
       
    • Dave
      By Dave
      I've been a big fan of this product and have it running in my home.  It's now $20 off if you follow this link.
       
      http://mbsy.co/circlemedia/mccabeio
       

       
      There is an Amazon link to buy it and December 17th to 22nd it will also be $20 off on the Circle website.  So heads up!
       
      Take a look at the video below for a better understanding of what it can do for you.  In my house, if anything hops on my wifi the box will notify me immediately.  I've set it up so anything that jumps on is put in a KID friendly profile.  I look at what they are seeing on their iPads and can turn off apps. YouTube, Safari, App Store = Off.
       
       
    • Dave
      By Dave
      Power over Ethernet.  Words always found on my eero wishlist.  According to Julie Jacobson at CEPro, eero is edging ever closer to this reality. 

      http://www.cepro.com/article/eero_cozies_up_to_channel_with_poe_and_remote_network_management
       
      Yes, but can I have it at my home?  The POE that is?  RMS looks great for integrators but also "carries a fee" according to eero.  We'll have to wait to see if anymore information comes out of CEDIA. 



×