Dave

eero announces Gen 2, eero Beacon, and more

whsbuss    10
whsbuss

I got my eero 3-pack over a month ago for $389 minus a $15 gift card. It has been the best wifi experience I have ever had. For the first few days I constantly checked signal strength, whether or not my Apple devices switched between nodes, and check the iOS app. Since then I have forgotten about all that. Full coverage in my 2800 sq ft 2-story home, no dead spots and great speed. If gen-2 is as good, I would totally recommend getting it. I tried and tested all the mesh solutions prior to settling on the eero.

• Like 2

Dave    277
Dave
18 hours ago, adammiarka said:

If you are like me...you'll regret not buying the 3 eeros and always wonder if it was a better setup... ;)

or six...

:D

• Like 2

Jason    56
Jason

Hopefully one of the tech sites will do a hands-on review soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Neil    2
Neil

I currently have 6 eero's all connected via ethernet and pre-ordered the pro system of the gen 2s. I'm hoping that I can reduce the overall number of eero's that I need in the house with using the new 2nd gen 3-pack and then supplementing in maybe 1 or 2 spots if necessary with the gen 1s for further coverage in some of the edge locations like broadcasting out to the Rachio irrigation controller and Nest outdoor cameras. Overall I like my eero's, but I'm hoping the eeroOS 3.0 alleviates some of the issues I've come across with eero's randomly seeming to go offline and then come back a minute or two later. I think it has to do with my Sonos devices as well, but hoping the combo of the new firmware and next gen equipment will help smooth things out. I have close to 60 internet connected devices at any time around the house due to using nest protects, thermostats, cameras, Sonos, phones, tablets, computers, smart tvs, etc. and I notice almost on a daily basis that some devices or another drop their wifi connections and then come back online after a few minutes. I'm wondering if the MU-MIMO Wave 2 support will help at all with any of this. We shall see.

• Like 1

whsbuss    10
whsbuss
4 hours ago, Neil said:

I currently have 6 eero's all connected via ethernet and pre-ordered the pro system of the gen 2s. I'm hoping that I can reduce the overall number of eero's that I need in the house with using the new 2nd gen 3-pack and then supplementing in maybe 1 or 2 spots if necessary with the gen 1s for further coverage in some of the edge locations like broadcasting out to the Rachio irrigation controller and Nest outdoor cameras. Overall I like my eero's, but I'm hoping the eeroOS 3.0 alleviates some of the issues I've come across with eero's randomly seeming to go offline and then come back a minute or two later. I think it has to do with my Sonos devices as well, but hoping the combo of the new firmware and next gen equipment will help smooth things out. I have close to 60 internet connected devices at any time around the house due to using nest protects, thermostats, cameras, Sonos, phones, tablets, computers, smart tvs, etc. and I notice almost on a daily basis that some devices or another drop their wifi connections and then come back online after a few minutes. I'm wondering if the MU-MIMO Wave 2 support will help at all with any of this. We shall see.

I'm also a 3-pack eero user. Question: when you lose internet connectivity do your Nest local stuff still work?

Jason    56
Jason

Yes, they still work but just don't transfer any data back to the server or download any updates made via the web.

whsbuss    10
whsbuss
11 hours ago, Jason said:

Yes, they still work but just don't transfer any data back to the server or download any updates made via the web.

And I would assume remote Nest or HomeKit apps would not work until connectivity returns. But at least if your at home and need to change the thermostat you can.

Neil    2
Neil
36 minutes ago, whsbuss said:

And I would assume remote Nest or HomeKit apps would not work until connectivity returns. But at least if your at home and need to change the thermostat you can.

That is correct that even if the internet is down or my eeros have gone offline for some reason I can still manually control my Nest thermostats and the protects still function, you just don't get alerts and can't control anything through the app. The Nest cams are useless while the internet is down.

whsbuss    10
whsbuss
22 hours ago, Neil said:

That is correct that even if the internet is down or my eeros have gone offline for some reason I can still manually control my Nest thermostats and the protects still function, you just don't get alerts and can't control anything through the app. The Nest cams are useless while the internet is down.

The apps need to contact their central control and with the internet down, that would be understandable. I don't have Nest cameras - do they send their content to the internet or recorded locally?

Neil    2
Neil
On 6/17/2017 at 7:52 AM, whsbuss said:

The apps need to contact their central control and with the internet down, that would be understandable. I don't have Nest cameras - do they send their content to the internet or recorded locally?

The content is recorded in their cloud, no local access or storage to my knowledge

• Like 1