Dave

eero announces Gen 2, eero Beacon, and more

Dave

The second generation of eero hardware is here and if it is as good as first gen it looks to be something awesome. Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.43.59 AM.pngThere is new hardware and new software to fill in the gaps that other vendors filled in since eero exploded onto the market early last year.  This could put eero on the top for good but before we crown them king, let's look at the new offering.

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.15.39 AM.png

• eero (2nd generation): the same design and footprint as eero (1st generation), but twice as powerful. It is the first and only WiFi access point of its size broadcasts on three wireless bands simultaneously (triband WiFi), doubling the speed of its predecessor. As the gateway of an eero WiFi system, eero has two auto-detecting Ethernet ports. One connects directly to the modem and the other port provides the option to hardwire devices. eero is also equipped with a Thread radio so it can connect to low-power devices such as locks, doorbells, and other sensors.

• eero Beacon: eero Beacon is a new addition to the eero product family. It’s half the size of eero, but is even more powerful than eero (1st generation).It’s wireless and cordless, so it can be plugged into any wall outlet to expand coverage into areas like hallways and stairwells where chords can be disruptive. eero Beacon is also equipped with an LED nightlight.With an ambient light sensor and automatic dimmer, it intelligently adjusts brightness depending on the time of day. Or set a specific brightness schedule using the eero app.

• eero Plus: is a premium subscription service added to eero’s existing world-class, built-in security that provides advanced security measures, enhanced parental controls, and priority access to customer service. With eero Plus, you’re protected against millions of malicious websites that host ransomware, viruses, phishing scams, and more. Unlike built-in protections included  in a web browser or email client, the database of millions of websites eero Plus protects against is updated every second to keep people protected. With enhanced parental controls, parents can now filter out adult, illegal, and/or violent content, or enable SafeSearch for specific eero profiles. eero Plus also offers priority access to eero’s customer support team, with limited or no wait time before talking with a WiFi expert. Priced at $9.99/mo. or $99/year - first month of eero Plus is free of charge.

• Thread: the 2nd generation eero and Beacon are now  Thread enabled. Thread allows eero to connect to  low-power devices such as locks, doorbells, and other sensors. . Using IPv6, Thread is reliable for mesh systems, and uses secure protocols and encryption by default.

The eero product has never been the cheapest system to purchase and Gen 2 is doesn't come in fighting to be the lowest price offering.  In fact, it's pretty darned expensive.

Pricing

● Home WiFi System (1 eero + 1 eero Beacon): $299

● Home WiFi System (1 eero + 2 eero Beacons): $399

● Pro WiFi System (3 eeros): $499

● eero Plus: $9.99/month (or $99/year) available soon

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.18.56 AM.png

Single eero's will be $199 and the beacon will sell for $149.  They will ship at the end of this month. June 2017 and are available at Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, and eero.com.

If you want to compare, the Netgear Orbi system is usually $399 for the pair. (it's on amazon.com for $349) . That is a router and one satellite. The new RBW30 add on is usually $149.  

Eero Plus

This is a feature we all want but don't want to pay for! Eero is going to test us with this because it is pay based.  $9.99 a month or $99 for the year.

• Advanced Security: Blocks you from accidentally accessing millions of sites associated with harmful content, like malware, ransomware, and phishing attacks. Unlike the built-in protections included in your browser or email client, the database of threats eero Plus protects against is automatically updated every single second.
  • Expanded Parental Controls: Lets you filter adult, illegal, and violent content, or enable SafeSearch™ for specific profiles on your network. eero Plus ensures that as new content is posted, it’s filtered in real time.
  • VIP Support: Gives you priority access to our support team so you don’t have to wait to speak with a WiFi expert.

The eero app has set the bar high for wifi mesh products.  Many competitors have tried to step up and many have failed.  The new eero, new app, and Pro should push eero ahead but there are still ways competitor products can, well; compete.  This is and inexpensive proposal and then add on an extra "Benjamin" a year? There is a ton of value in online safety but it comes at a cost.

Tri-Band

The eero product is finally stepping up with Tri-Band radios and eero has always been popular with its Ethernet backhaul option.  That is something the Orbi fans have been wanting for their satellites.

The eero Beacon is half the size of the main unit yet delivers a 30% gain over the Gen 1 eero access point.  The Beacon doesn't have Ethernet backhaul as it is meant to fill in the gaps of coverage where you should need them.  It even has a handy "night light" feature with an ambient light sensor for hallways and dark areas.  

Eero has Thread

Yes, a low power connectivity protocol that you might not know of but several big companies like Google will make sure you do in the coming years.  We need to dive into this deeper in the coming months.

Do they work together?

I'm reading all the press release and other material and cannot find any mention of NOT playing nicely. 

There is a lot to digest here.  There will be even more to test and try in the coming months.  

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.15.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.16.02 AM.png

• Like 1

Dave

Please leave your comments and/or questions here. I can always ask eero to help out in answering if needed.

Jason

Wow. Very intriguing. I wasn't particularly impressed by Eero gen 1 in my home environment (luckily returned within my 30 days), but gen 2 looks pretty awesome!

Don't know about everyone else, but I'm getting tired of buying/replacing options within the same year, even months apart

I may seriously need to preorder these from Amazon and trial them vs Orbi...

Currently Amazon makes no mention of Gen 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Compatibility Update

All of the new units are backwards compatible and can interoperate. Beacons can be put into a Gen 1 network, but they cannot power a network by themselves.

You can use a Gen 2 as a router and Gen 1 as a satellite.  That should help alleviate those of us, and @Jason, who buy this stuff over and over!  This is a good move by eero.

Dave

Where to Buy

Best Buy

Target

Wal-Mart

Amazon

eero 

I'm updating these links as the stores update them.

schoondoggy
59 minutes ago, Dave said:

Compatibility Update

All of the new units are backwards compatible and can interoperate. Beacons can be put into a Gen 1 network, but they cannot power a network by themselves.

You can use a Gen 2 as a router and Gen 1 as a satellite.  That should help alleviate those of us, and @Jason, who buy this stuff over and over!  This is a good move by eero.

That answers the compatibility question. Another thought on the Beacon, it could be a good way to temporarily extend WiFi coverage to a patio or deck. Would need to see how the app would handle the Beacon being added and removed from the network.

adammiarka

Amazon links can be found here

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0713ZCT4N?tag=eero-20&th=1

Looks like they ship starting on 6/27.   If this can compete with my existing Orbi system in terms of speed throughout my house, I'll be swapping out as I enjoy the eero software side much more.

Edited by adammiarka
incorrect link
  • Like 2

Dave

Compatibility Update 2, eero Plus and more information on Gen 1

eero Plus will run on existing, Gen 1, hardware.  I don't know about you but I'm thinking about adding a Gen 2 as my main router and possibly a beacon if still needed.  According to eero the new Gen 2 system is more powerful with 2 units than Gen 1 with three units.  The radio and antenna combination in Gen 2 are better and the beams are more sophisticated to reach out to clients.

More good news for Gen 1 customers is eeroOS 3 which is coming soon.  Gen 1 will get firmware updates that will improve it as well.  I know Gen 1 customers will have "update envy" but my guess is you got your eeros at a good price(Luma Pricing, ahem) and Gen 2 will only make them better in the long run.  Especially with backwards compatibility and the ability to mix the units.

If you have scrolled all the way down and forgot what eero Plus is, here ya go.  https://eero.com/plus

eero Gen 2 Available on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2skN51t

Jason
eero Gen 2 Available on Amazon - http://amzn.to/2skN51t

Which route to go - 1 Eero + 2 beacons? Or 3 eeros (for only $100 more)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk