RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nas-hosting.net - anyone tried it?

Well I went on their website and used the link to send a few questions (maybe 5).  That was Tuesday or Wednesday.  I can't imagine it would take more than 5-10 minutes to send me answer, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Not a good sign...

There's a chat-link on the site as well - I might try that, but sites that have a link to ask questions and then don't even respond rub me the wrong way, so my enthusiasm and interest is definitely waning.

Drashna Jaelre

To be blunt here .... I suspect that this company may be using "XPEnology" in VMs and not actual Synology boxes.  If that's the case, you're not going to be using the most up to date firmware, and there may be security issues BECAUSE of that. 

Not to mention, if they *are* using XPEnology, they may get shut down sooner or later as .... this would be very questionable. 

Additionally, there are the already mentioned security/privacy concerns here ....

And then there is the big one... if they ARE using actual synology hardware, this may be a blatant violation of the EULA/TOS for the hardware. Which is another reason that they could get shut down. 

Additionally, for the pricing, this isn't a good deal. This is HaaS (Hardware as a Service). And you're getting the short end of the stick. 

I can find the 4 bay model (DS916+) for about $600.  At $59/month, that's 12 months to pay for the same hardware.  Not counting electricity costs (or internet).  Differences due to electricity costs are going to be negligible, to especially after 14-16 months (most likely, and assuming what I'm paying for electricity .... yay San Diego). 

The 8 bay model is even worse. (DS1815+). You can find it for $800, so at $219/month, you've paid for it in 3.6 months.  And the difference in electricity costs will be negated by 5-6 months.  

Now, however, if you use the 2 bay model, that's where this may actually be cost effective.  At around $500 for a unit (DS716+), it would take 18.6 months to pay for the same hardware.  

6 minutes ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

To be blunt here .... I suspect that this company may be using "XPEnology" in VMs and not actual Synology boxes.  If that's the case, you're not going to be using the most up to date firmware, and there may be security issues BECAUSE of that. 

Not to mention, if they *are* using XPEnology, they may get shut down sooner or later as .... this would be very questionable. 

Additionally, there are the already mentioned security/privacy concerns here ....

And then there is the big one... if they ARE using actual synology hardware, this may be a blatant violation of the EULA/TOS for the hardware. Which is another reason that they could get shut down. 

Additionally, for the pricing, this isn't a good deal. This is HaaS (Hardware as a Service). And you're getting the short end of the stick. 

I can find the 4 bay model (DS916+) for about $600.  At $59/month, that's 12 months to pay for the same hardware.  Not counting electricity costs (or internet).  Differences due to electricity costs are going to be negligible, to especially after 14-16 months (most likely, and assuming what I'm paying for electricity .... yay San Diego). 

The 8 bay model is even worse. (DS1815+). You can find it for $800, so at $219/month, you've paid for it in 3.6 months.  And the difference in electricity costs will be negated by 5-6 months.  

Now, however, if you use the 2 bay model, that's where this may actually be cost effective.  At around $500 for a unit (DS716+), it would take 18.6 months to pay for the same hardware.  

Your first point was one of my questions.  I asked if they were renting me my OWN un-shared Synology device, or if what I was getting was shared or virtualized in some way.  I also directly asked that (if shared or virtual) was it Synology hardware & OS or something else, and mentioned XPEnology specifically.  Still no answer, and maybe that's why.

Your mention of costs is well taken, although the numbers you use look like they are for diskless, not populated.  I was mainly interested because of their location (and only if it's my device to control).  I'd be very surprised if they could make ANY money using the DS716+ -- if they are using 2-bay devices at all I'm sure it's one of the cheaper models.

The lack of response has pushed my decision to contact another relative and see if I can host one of my devices there.  At least I know what I'll be getting.

Drashna Jaelre

If you asked the company and got no response... that's not promising.  I know some companies can take a while to get back to you (I'm looking at you, ASRock and your 3 week turn around).... but it's not promising, especially for this type of company.

The paranoid part of me says that they're not responding because they are using XPEnology either on physical machines or ... more likely VMWare/KVM/proxmox clusters. And they know they can/will get into a bunch of shit for doing so. 

And yes, the prices are diskless, But .... $22.5/month per 6TB drive.... yeah.... 11 months to pay for themselves. 

If you're going to host for 6 months, this is a great deal. But anything past a year really, it's going to cost you much more in the long run.  And you're at their whim.