RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Nas-hosting.net - anyone tried it?

I currently have my Synology data synchronized to two other Synology boxes at other locations from my home.  Due to one of my sites (vacation home) going away soon, and the other (parent) becoming somewhat unreliable lately, I'm trying to figure out options for the future to allow me to keep doing things this way.

I was thinking about going a bit more commercial (just for the reliability) but the costs at most data-centers for co-locating even a small server are prohibitive, and complete overkill for my needs.

Then I came across a site called nas-hosting.net.  They provide a dedicated Synology in a co-located setup for prices that seem pretty reasonable.  Has anyone tried them or heard any good/bad experiences?  I'm not finding much in the way of independent reviews when I Google them.

• Like 1

Wow, haven't heard of this. How much data are we talking about? Did you see the recent Backblaze thread? B2 seamed reasonable.

itGeeks

I have never heard of them though there US phone number seems to be by me. One thing comes to mind with all this, Caution on the side of data privacy, I don't even trust the big players doing this such as Amazon, Google, Microsoft let alone a company we never heard of. I don't push any files to anyplace unless I can encrypt them first. I also have Synology NAS and there are many built in providers that can be used with Hyper Backup. If you own one of there plus models then you should be using the new btrfs file system as its much better then the old ext4 file system and you can encrypt the data before it goes out. I was going to recommend having a look at Amazon Cloud Drive that I use with Synology Hyper Backup but it seems they have now discontinued the unlimited storage for 59.99 a year so now I have a problem as well.

Amazon ends its unlimited cloud storage plan

The company you where looking at seems like it more geared towards peaple that don't want to host there own NAS on sight but it seems you are just looking for a off-sight backup target. How much data are you trying to backup?

I also want to note that Synology themselves are in beta of there own backup service for Synology users, You may want to take a look at.

Synology® Unveils Synology Cloud2 for Beta Testing

I did see the Backblaze thread, but I'm still a bit mistrustful of cloud-specific solutions for this - I treat them as a secondary backup if my primary solutions fail.  I would prefer a solution where I have some control over the device.

For nas-hosting.net reasonable starts at $29/month for a dedicated 2-drive Synology with two 1TB drives.  There's a $60 one-time setup fee.  The data connection is 1GB unmetered.  You can go to units with more drives, higher-capacity, different processors, etc... but of course the price goes up.  For me, something like 4TB in a 2-drive array might be worth the cost. 

I don't think they've been around all that long, but was unable to find any reviews or ratings indicating if the company was reputable or not.  Maybe I'll have to be the HSS guinea pig?

itGeeks
21 minutes ago, Dave said:

Wow, haven't heard of this. How much data are we talking about? Did you see the recent Backblaze thread? B2 seamed reasonable.

Dave do you have the link to that thread? As important as off-sight backups are this continues to be a struggle for most. Amazon has now joined forces with the "Unlimited" is really not. Most of this change is mostly in part of us having NAS and backing up many TB of files I understand but gee wiz can the pricing be a little more kind? Dave what are you doing for off-site backup?? I think its time I take a hard look at iOsafe with Synology and hope for the best.

Oh, thanks - hadn't heard about the Synology cloud service yet. 

My data needs right now are 2.5 TB - so with room for a bit of growth a 4TB box would hold me for a few years.  I need to send nas-hosting a few questions -- one thing their site needs is a FAQ -- I would like more info on (as you mentioned) security, and exactly how upgrades work if I need more space.  Would they just swap drives to larger capacity, or would it make more sense to start renting a larger one, transfer data, and stop rental on the old one once everything is moved over?  Also if I want access to my data faster than the internet can provide, would they just send me the Synology I'm renting?  Lots of questions...

itGeeks
18 minutes ago, BSR said:

I did see the Backblaze thread, but I'm still a bit mistrustful of cloud-specific solutions for this - I treat them as a secondary backup if my primary solutions fail.  I would prefer a solution where I have some control over the device.

For nas-hosting.net reasonable starts at $29/month for a dedicated 2-drive Synology with two 1TB drives.  There's a $60 one-time setup fee.  The data connection is 1GB unmetered.  You can go to units with more drives, higher-capacity, different processors, etc... but of course the price goes up.  For me, something like 4TB in a 2-drive array might be worth the cost. 

I don't think they've been around all that long, but was unable to find any reviews or ratings indicating if the company was reputable or not.  Maybe I'll have to be the HSS guinea pig?

1) How would you backup to them? Sorry I forgot there hosting a Synology NAS so you would be using Hyper Backup? 

2) What model NAS do you have?

3) Make sure you encrypt your data before sending it to them.

4) There service seems like an interesting concept and something I considered on offering but decided agents it.

5) What kind of backup are they doing to protect your files in the event they have a problem?

Like you I have a second Synology NAS on-site strictly used as a backup target for my primary NAS located in another part of the house so unless some active god or fire strikes I feel I can get my files back. I know there is theft to worry about but where I have it good luck getting to it, Even I hope I never have to get to the backup unit. 

itGeeks
1 hour ago, BSR said:

Oh, thanks - hadn't heard about the Synology cloud service yet. 

My data needs right now are 2.5 TB - so with room for a bit of growth a 4TB box would hold me for a few years.  I need to send nas-hosting a few questions -- one thing their site needs is a FAQ -- I would like more info on (as you mentioned) security, and exactly how upgrades work if I need more space.  Would they just swap drives to larger capacity, or would it make more sense to start renting a larger one, transfer data, and stop rental on the old one once everything is moved over?  Also if I want access to my data faster than the internet can provide, would they just send me the Synology I'm renting?  Lots of questions...

You make some good points, One interesting point is are they really giving each of there customers there own NAS on rental? That seems a bit far fetched to me. I agree ask questions.

• Like 1
schoondoggy

Most Enterprise storage arrays offer multi-tenancy. Multiple companies can securely share an array at a remote location. They can all mirror their small arrays to one large array, safe and secure. If Synology has added multi-tenancy to their arrays, this company could be using a large Synology array to look like several smaller Synology arrays.

ShadowPeo
On 6/12/2017 at 8:12 AM, itGeeks said:

You make some good points, One interesting point is are they really giving each of there customers there own NAS on rental? That seems a bit far fetched to me. I agree ask questions.

On 6/12/2017 at 0:23 PM, schoondoggy said:

Most Enterprise storage arrays offer multi-tenancy. Multiple companies can securely share an array at a remote location. They can all mirror their small arrays to one large array, safe and secure. If Synology has added multi-tenancy to their arrays, this company could be using a large Synology array to look like several smaller Synology arrays.

This is what I was thinking, I have two questions/thoughts XPendology on a server?? probably not but possible. More likely and given the costs associated I am thinking they have one or two of the big units with massive disks in it and are utilising the virtual DSM feature that is available on some of the NAS units