RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Shoud I trust iLO or OpenHardware monitor regarding temps?

Calby

Hi,
I have replace the stock CPU with a Xeon E-1265l lv2.
So far so good, I did put CPU pasta on it in the size of a rice grain.

So, I did boot it and I'm running Windows Server 2016, plex server, VM, Seafile etc.
The CPU are in 1-3% load.
Then according to iLO the temp is 40c and according to OpenHardwareMonitor it's 38c.

I did stresstest it with Prime95 during 5 minutes and I did get this temps:
iLO 57c
OpenHardwareMonitor 85c

The main (chassi(?)) fan did never spin up, it was just on 14% all the time, I did think it was going to spinup if the heat did increase?

So, which one should I trust?
How can I get the temp down? Should I buy the heatsink that are adapted for more powerfull CPU's?
As you can see it's a big difference during load / stresstest.

Edited by Calby

For the CPU, iLo is measuring temperature from a sensor near the CPU. From the number you have posted, I assume OpenHardwareMonitor is giving you core CPU temperature that is measured by a sensor in the CPU. Have you tried going into the BIOS and changing the cooling profile for the fan?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

For the CPU, iLo is measuring temperature from a sensor near the CPU. From the number you have posted, I assume OpenHardwareMonitor is giving you core CPU temperature that is measured by a sensor in the CPU. Have you tried going into the BIOS and changing the cooling profile for the fan?

Yes, OpenHardwareMonitor are messuring the core.
Yes, I did change it to the secound choose now, not the lowest or the highest in the midle so the fan is on 30% now.

From OpenHardwareMonitor:

IDLE Temps:
Core 1: 32c - 36c
Core 2: 32c - 36c
Core 3: 32c - 36c
Core 4: 32c - 36c
Cpu package: 32c - 36c

After 15min stresstest with Prime95 (maxing everything at 100%) after sometime the fan did speed up to 58%.
Core 1: 81c - 85c
Core 2: 81c - 85c
Core 3: 81c - 85c
Core 4: 81c - 85c
Cpu package: 81c - 85c
It do seem that it has stabled on this temp so during the first 15min the temp do increase.

Maybe I'll turn off the turbobost in bios until I have the new heatsink or?
I do have the stock heatsink maybe I'll take a look after the 65w heatsink, but the temps are not dangerous or is it?

I believe theT-case temperature range for your CPU is 45-70C depending on power consumption. You can download the E3-1200 v2 family guide to see the numbers. If you are running t-case of 57 c under load that should not be a problem. I believe core temps are measured so the CPU can throttle itself if it gets too hot. The guide I listed above should show T-core max as well. As for thermal paste, too much is bad and too little is bad. Most guides show making a 'X' on the heat spreader. I generally use one finger of a latex glove to apply a very thin and consistent layer of paste on the heat spreader.

18 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

I believe theT-case temperature range for your CPU is 45-70C depending on power consumption. You can download the E3-1200 v2 family guide to see the numbers. If you are running t-case of 57 c under load that should not be a problem. I believe core temps are measured so the CPU can throttle itself if it gets too hot. The guide I listed above should show T-core max as well. As for thermal paste, too much is bad and too little is bad. Most guides show making a 'X' on the heat spreader. I generally use one finger of a latex glove to apply a very thin and consistent layer of paste on the heat spreader.

Ok,
When I did turn off Turboboost I did get it down to the core temps of 70-72c so I'll stay on that until I do get the new heatsink.

The T-case temprature is the temp that iLO shows right?

Before you invest in a new heat-sink, I would reapply the paste. A grain of rice amount of paste is not enough. I described how I apply it or you can follow these directions for the E3-1200 XEON:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Here is an FAQ for Tcase and Tjunction temperatures:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005597.html

After reapplying the paste, turn on TurboBoost and run your tests again. If core/Tjunction temperatures stay below 70-75c you should be fine. A next step to reduce the temp would be to add a blower or fan to the existing heat-sink. 

On 6/10/2017 at 6:06 AM, schoondoggy said:

Before you invest in a new heat-sink, I would reapply the paste. A grain of rice amount of paste is not enough. I described how I apply it or you can follow these directions for the E3-1200 XEON:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

After reapplying the paste, turn on TurboBoost and run your tests again. If core/Tjunction temperatures stay below 70-75c you should be fine. A next step to reduce the temp would be to add a blower or fan to the existing heat-sink. 

Thanks for the tip, but according to Noctua (the manufactorer of the pasta) it's good.
Also when I did take the heatsink away it's good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2017 at 6:06 AM, schoondoggy said:

I did try it and with turboboost it did go up to around 87-90c and then I did use the max cooling.

And then I needed to turn Prime95 of because the temp did keep increasing.

Now when I have the heatsink for the 65w I can have the cooling on the lowest and now when I max it the cores go up to max 80c when I'm maxing the CPU with Prim95 for 40min, it stays stable on 80c after around 20 min.
And I have turboboost on :)

I guess this is so good that I can have it when I want to keep the server quite, iLO says the sensor for the CPU are 54c so that's good also, max for that according to Intel it's 65c for my CPU.

And for the record it's much warmer inside here now, it's around 30c when I did make the other test with the original heatsink it was around 20c.