RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver b120i dropping raid config

Dogpatch01

Hello everyone,

Having small but horrendous issues with my HP Microserver gen 8. Every time I reboot the server, it drops the config of the Smart Array or storage manager or whatever it's called.
This causes the server not knowing which drive it should boot from. So I have to go in there and basically set a new boot drive every time it reboots.

I've googled this issue and I found one guy with the same problem. Alltho, he never got any help.

I'm hoping to get some answers. And in worst case, I'll just disable it and buy a PCIe SATA card instead. I'm running software raid in linux and really don't have any use for a raid card. I just want the server to boot from my SSD and that's it.

Anyone got any ideas?

Are you running the latest BIOS and Firmware? How do you have your drives configured? Is it losing the RAID configuration or just the identity of the boot drive?

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Hello, and thanks for your reply.

I'm not running the latest bios. I will get on that.
I have the fallowing drives:
* SSD OS Drive.
* 2tb drive
* 3tb drive
* 3tb drive

They are not set up at any way. The only thing I do in the Smart Array is to specify the SSD as boot drive. Nothing more.
The 2x 3tb drives are then set up as raid in Linux.
Every time I reboot it drops the config only. So it doesn't have any specified boot drive.

If all four drives are in the front bays, I would go into the BIOS and change from the B120i to AHCI for storage. For the B120i to save the configuration I think you would need to define the drives in some form of RAID. Sitting each drive to a single drive RAID0 works much like JBOD. If you are not booting from the 5th SATA port and you are doing RAID in the OS, I would try changing to AHCI. If your SSD is on the 5th SATA port, use the B120i, but you need to set each drive up as a single drive RAID0.

If you are using the B120i be sure you have the correct driver for Linux.

I've read through the Bigger mans post. Seems like it's a very complicated process.

My SSD is using the 5th sata connector on the MB. I will try to switch to AHCI as I've seen others recommend it. I need to backup everything first at some point.

One other solution for me would be to just use a SD card ot a USB stick with the OS instead. As these seem to be outside of the b120i.

The 5th SATA port is only bootable with the B120i enabled. It does not boot in AHCI. In the SSA have you setup each drive as a single drive RAID0? You could move to AHCI if you are going to boot from USB or micro SD.

If I boot from a USB or Micro SD, I will not have to do anything in SSA. Currently, I have not set up any of the drives in SSA (Except for SSD on Boot). And they work just fine in Linux. In the beginning, I had all drives set to Raid 0. But that configuration got dropped as well after reboot.

Going to buy the best usb / micro SD card I can find. Any tips on which ones are stable enough to run in a server like this?