RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CyberPower CP850PFCLCD PFC Sinewave $95.95

schoondoggy

Chris, could you please be more specific for those of us who may not recognize the difference between a great one and an average one?

thanks!

Well, the big thing is Active PFC/Pure Sinewave vs AVR/Stepped approximation.  It's cleaner power, in theory, and newer power supplies require Active PFC (or you may have issues when switching to battery IIRC). 

The LCD interface is nice, as it has a lot of information, including power usage (Wh, etc).

The software is decent, but not required, as it shows up as a normal "battery" in Windows. 

Nice number of outlets, and a decent amount of uptime.

And that price is very nice for a UPS in general. 

thanks. the run time of 2 minutes at 100% of rated capacity seems deceptive but I think the whole industry is deceptive on that point.

Yeah, it can be.  But it really depends on the load you're plugging into the UPS.   

But it's impossible to tell each people's need, and uptime... Like my beast of a server is going to use more power than a HP MicroServer. So it's impossible to tell.  The best they can really do is post the "max usage" here. 

some ups have a detailed chart or table of runtime vs load. one needs a certain amount of time for shutdown. if more than one pc is on the ups only one of them can get the signal, unless you have some fancy software solution for ups management. I prefer to engineer that runtime so I can get in and shut down the other pc(s) if I am present at the time of the power failure.

Even the 2 minutes can be useful in terms of smoothing over short interruptions while the grid recovers from an event.

22 hours ago, Drashna Jaelre said:

Very nice.  I own the 1500VA model, it's a fantastic UPS. 

Nice UPSs, I have 5 of the 1500VA models and one of the 850VA

I had a cheap UPS years ago that destroyed the PSU in a MediaSmart Server because it wasn't a pure sinewave and caused constant switching of the MS PSU when the UPS was enabled (p0wer outage) -- learned my lesson then.  Switched to pure SW.

Unit also protects against brownouts and overvoltage events - not just surges which is nice too.

• Like 1