RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
barry

New Home - Need Some Help

barry

Hey so I'm a recent fan of the podcast and so far am having fun going through the old episodes and getting caught up on the discussion.  Lots to learn in the Home Automation world.  I'm a fairly competent hobbiest - i usually build my own PCs.  Going to be trying my hand at a laptop next once that one dies.  

Ok to my problem.   We just moved to a new house with lots more space.  Yay!  The old place was a 1200 square foot place - little shoe box basically.  Now we're in 4600 sqft with 5 BR, a couple large living rooms, bed rooms spread all over, 3 car garage.  I'm starting to peel back the layers a bit to see what's under the hood and to my delight, I found that the builder ran CAT5e for the phone jacks (just twisted 2 pair and ignored the others).  I have COAX in most of the rooms as well (but not in the same locations and not all in the same rooms).  These all run from a central point in the basement utility room.  Those wires are all currently just banded together with very little organization.  The FIOS installer used a splitter to activate a few of the COAX runs and use a wall jack up in the living space to install the FIOS Router and a white COAX/Ethernet Bridge device.  I have an appleTV device, a PC computer with a wired/wireless networking capability, an XBOX360, a home theater system with only an ethernet port.  We also run a few iPhones and iPads through the house on the wifi.  

I can handle the first couple steps but if anyone has suggestions on this please advise:

1 - to have all the COAX set up in a box in the basement to distribute that data through the house.  We have about 15 cable runs through the house.

2 - repurpose the phone jacks through the house to Cat5e network data jacks.  will require a punchdown rack mounted box in the basement sending signal out.  also will need new wall jacks and punchdown fittings.  On a few walls... I have a jack on one side of the wall that i would also like to have a live connection on the other side.  (i.e. the current run is to a bedroom, i'd like to keep the bedroom active as well as directly on the other side into that living space.

Once I have this distribution solution in place is where i start to get a bit fuzzy.  The end state once im done is the following ideas:

I would like to start to add Apple HomeKit devices throughout the house.  I'd like to be able to see all wired and wireless devices on the network.  I'd like to have flexibility to install wall mounted home control panels at the once main entry and perhaps in the kitchen.  Home Automation goals to include;  motion activated lighting.  Scene selected lighting.  Whole home audio.  Distributed AV to the TVs.  Locks.  exterior Cameras.  Interior cameras at entry doors, in the garage, basement utility room.  Water Sensors.  I would like to have a router in the basement utility room send data through the ethernet but also utilize the wireless router for the wifi - and have all that still able to talk to each other.  Most if not all the home automation hardware will be on the wifi but i might have cameras on the wired ethernet in some places - would just depend on layout etc.  

I am at the very beginning stages of planning this out.  The only real commitment I have made is to the Apple HomeKit universe, which is entirely based on security and simplicity.  I would prefer to keep the number of required apps and software interface among the devices as low as possible.  I plan on adding the HomePod device as it becomes available.  Also for note... the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is a concern.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      This was just posted at HPE a couple days ago -- I really like this video --

https://www.hpe.com/h22228/video-gallery/us/en/products/servers/459b9352-af92-4cc5-9701-870218f2a942/HPE-MicroServer-Gen-10-Hardware-Demo/video/

I'm checking out what's below the heat sink shortly....................
    • Nickolai
      By Nickolai
      Has anyone tried (or thought of) upgrading Surface Pro 2? CPU, RAM or SSD.

I had this crazy idea that I could probably put an i7 CPU in SP2 with the help of a specialized company that does this kind of things; and while I'm at it, maybe replace SSD and RAM as well (I have the most concern for the RAM: I'm afraid larger RAM should have different bank organization and therefore not compatible)

CPU candidates I have in mind are i7-4600U (CPU upgrade), i7-4650U (CPU+GPU upgrade) or i7-4610Y (energy economy upgrade). There are mSATA SSD's up to 1 TB, at least. It's trickier with RAM - according to CPU datasheet, it supports up to 8 GB RAM per channel, which means that if the board is designed for single-channel configuration, I can't go above 8 GB.  
      The idea can seem crazy, but with the computer enthusiasts doing various crazy things to their computers, I thought I'd give it a thought. After all, if there are people who think of such things, where should I find such individuals if not on SurfaceGeeks forums? I know for a fact that they do such things e.g. with Apple hardware, and I've talked to a manager from a local repair company that has experience with Apple hardware, but they have no experience with Surface (Pro) devices, and this is important. I'm still yet to find a company that does this kind of thing with Surface professionally.

What do you think?
    • mleanz
      By mleanz
      Hi All,

I'm looking at creating a hyper v failover cluster at home with shared storage. I am not really sure as to what to purchase however. I would probably like a SAN with a 4 disk raid however would this have enough IOPS to run a small number of servers.

I was looking at purchasing the following equipment obviously also buying more RAM. I have a few CISCO switches at home from doing a CCNA so I will VLAN these up for the ISCSI.

Is it better to have a home SAN or buy a third machine and a raid controller?

Synology DS416j 4 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure
      Dell PowerEdge T20-3708 Xeon E3-1225V3 3.2 GHz 4GB RAM 1TB HDD Tower Server

Or somebody else may have a better idea as I am open to all suggestions. 

Regards,

Mark
    • BJWTech
      By BJWTech
      I have the OEM PSU for my 2 G7 Microservers. One is a N36l and the other is a N40l. About one year ago I replaced the 40MM Fan on both with a lower noise Sunon fan. They were pulled whilst working.

I will charge $20 for each plus shipping.

Let me know If you are interested!

Brian

Edit: Typo....
    • Server Grunt
      By Server Grunt
      Taking a new shot at this

I am still in a thinking period and I would appreciate some additional input from you.
      The reason is that some external factors have been changed and that I have discovered more of what I really need

Environment/Limitations
      The space available only allows for one large tower and I have narrowed it down to a Lian li Armorsuit PC-P80 or PC-A70F – I also have some possibility to place a SAN box “remotely” in the network or in a small space in the same room

Usage scenarios and environment
      As previously said the basic plan is to run a one box virtual environment using Server 2008 R2 as host and that would also manage my home NW environment, group policies etc.
      Guests would include
      WHS2011 production server
      WHS 2011 test server
      W7 Production PC – work and play
      W7 test pc
      W8 test pc

Usage/tasks
      WHS for storage and back up
      W7 for work and gaming – see below (NEW)
      W7 or WHS for media management (transcoding, photo editing etc.)

Raid cards and SAN card
      Previous suggestions was for one expensivehttp://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115095card to cover all of the 20 storage HDDs and 4 to 6 host and guest system SSD. Is this one card to prefer over 2 less expensive cards, concidering my usage scenarios
      Now, to be able to accommodate the possible graphics cards I would probably need to remove one of the storage cages (5 HDDs) to house the SSDs at the bottom (this will also create a freeer cool air flow)
      This would mean that any expansion would be in an external case that needs to be connected. eSata has already been discarded, but what about using a SAN card to connect?

Gaming
      Now concerning gaming – I have realized that I would like to have some fairly high end gaming capabilities (read BF3 and similar) This would probably mean that I would insert 2 fairly large and hot graphic cards, in addition to the 1 (or 2) RAID cards (depending on set-up (separate discussion above) and a possible SAN card (see expansion above)

Would it be wise or even really possible to fit the hardware that would support server, transcoding and heavy gaming in a system that would run 24/7 365?
      Wolud any reasonable system that fits in a fairly normal case and not being prohibitory expensive manage this?

Cooling
      Both cases have a lot of fans and with the new possible gaming set-up I am also concidering CPU and GPU water cooling, using pre-assembled systems such as a corsair unit for CPU, but do not know what to use for GPU – are ther any integrated units. The CoolIT 180 Epic would be nice, though ;-)
      The caveat is that I do not know the mounting capabilities of the cases for this.

Maybe a little bit of a confusing post but hope that you are able to give some input.

//Grunt