RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Harmony Hub and Alexa Can't get Turn off my tv working

Dave

Hey Smart TV People,

I have Alexa, and I have the Harmony Hub and remote.  I have both of the Harmony Skills loaded and it somewhat works.  I can say, Alexa, watch netflix and it switches Roku over to netflix. I can't ask it to turn the tv on or off.  I may not have the hub setup completely either but I have a Watch Roku button setup on the app and it turns on the TV, sets the input, and fires up the Roku 4.  It works really well.  

I only have 3 devices setup.  Samsung TV, Roku 4, and a Philips Soundbar. It seems to work ok. The watch Roku button reverses to turn it all off but it turns the Roku off when I would rather it stay powered up.  I may have to redo that activity.

Anybody have Alexa turning off the TV like this?

GavinCampbell

What you probably need to do is edit the device is the harmony app and modify the power settings for the roku to "Keep Device Always On".

You can also do something like modify the power settings so that power on will turn it on (in case it was off) and power off will do something like logoff (which is what I do with my Kodi setup) so it always starts at the logon screen.

Shouldn't be hard to do.

Dave

Whew, I think I got it.  Actually, I don't have Alexa turning on the TV but the remote works.  Long story. @GavinCampbell, yes, I finally found that setting(should have checked here first) and set the Roku, Media Center, and Sound bar to never turn off.  I think it's going to take so long to explain it i might talk about it on RESET 25.  This might even need a YouTube!

The Alexa issue is that I have two devices labeled TV in the devices. The remote works so I'm stopping on a win and will unload and reload the skills at a later time!  

GavinCampbell

Glad you got it working. 

Ive been using the harmony remotes for a number of years. I actually have more remotes than TVs now. I think I need to offload a few. 

I have two hubs in my place and have integrated them in to HomeKit so I can activate scenes with Siri. It works really well. 

Dave

I just added it to SmartThings and now can control a little bit of lighting around the house.  Pretty cool that it will do that.  Now, I just need to see how much tech support I have to do on it with the family.  It's great for Roku but REALLY different on the Media Center.

Also, figured out that I need a Plex server instead of running it off my NAS. Anyone know where I can get a nice Gen 10 microserver? ;)

up7500

Got to ask how it is different on the media center.  I have been using a Harmony remote with media center for a long time and it works great.  You can even assign a physical button to be the Green Button, which is always the big rant you hear about using a universal remote with media center.

Dave

I'm still real early in using it but my first impression with MCE and the Harmony is I don't have a lot of options to program buttons.  I have a Green Button, and one more function button that you can go directly to recorded TV or Guide. The skip forward button and the FFWD button are in 1 button.  So long press to skip ahead 30 and short press to forward the first speed.  All of us have goofed this up. I would like two physical buttons to do this but that's just me.  Otherwise, it's working.

I have one button that goes directly to Roku and fires up netflix. Once in Roku I have to function buttons that will jump to Netflix or jump to Amazon Video. No going back through menus, just jump.  Hit the TV button and it changes inputs and goes to MCE.  That, so far, is working well.

GavinCampbell

I agree with Dave about the button combinations. On the newer remotes (wth the hub) they allowed you to assign short press and long press buttons. Which is nice as it adds a lot more buttons. For example, I press guide to go to the guide and long press it to change through categories in the guide. I like that. However the channel up/page up combination of buttons are a pain in the ass. I wish they left those as dedicated buttons.   

Alsp so on the newer models with the touch screen they removed the number buttons which I don't like. 

GavinCampbell

Just listened to the latest Reset podcast.  Glad to hear you got the harmony stuff going and are happy.  If you have questions let me know.  I've been working with them for years and even had to get them for my mom to simplify her setup.  The wife loves them.  I even tied them into HomeKit so she could turn on and off the TVs by asking Siri.  First time I heard her do that brought I little tear to my eye.

Dave

Richard Gunther pinged me on Twitter and said you could swap those FWD and FFWD button actions.  I have yet to look for how to do it though.