RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can Windows 7, two JBODs, and Synctoy replace DE?

AllToga

Now that DE looks dead, I was thinking of replacements. One thing I thought about was using Windows 7.

My requirements:

1. Ability to add drives in the future

2. Ability to currently store 7tb of data

3. Ability to duplicate the data for a back up, in case of a drive failure.

I think if I install Windows 7, add my hard drives into two separate 8tb JBOD arrays, and have one array be the main storage area and mapped to other computers, while the second array would be a back up of the first. I would use SyncToy on a schedule to duplicate the first onto the second.

So it would be this:

C:-OS

D:-JBOD#1

E:-JBOD#2 (back up of #1)

There would be a period of time between running synctoy that my data would be vulnerable to drive failure. Also, during that time, if I made an oops (deleted the wrong file), I could recover it from the back up array.

This is a more geeky solution. While I haven't tested this, I assume that a drive failure in the JBOD would mean I would need to re-create the entire JBOD from the back up (which would mainly mean time to copy from the back up to the main)

Also, by using Windows 7, it opens up cheap unlimited online back up solutions, like Mozy, Carbonite, Blackblaze, etc, which would also be nice.

Now that DE looks dead, I was thinking of replacements. One thing I thought about was using Windows 7.

Why does everybody keep saying DE looks dead, is dead, etc. I am pretty sure it is functioning just fine in my WHS v1 box.

Why not just a RAID10 or RAID 1+0/1+0 solution?

I didn't know if any other RAID solutions would be able to use different sized discs, or be able to be expanded in the future as easily as JBOD was.

@ AllToga - How would you manage PC backups, or would you skip this?

This is definitely a concern. While the main topic of this post was just replacing DE, for back ups I was thinking that client PCs would run some software and back up to a network share. Again, I haven't started to look into this solution yet.

Why does everybody keep saying DE looks dead, is dead, etc. I am pretty sure it is functioning just fine in my WHS v1 box.

I'm looking at options for beyond WHS v1. Right now I would like to run 64 bit, (more ram, etc) and also be able to do other things. My current server is a WHS v1 box, and it still works. Eventually, I'll need to upgrade, so I'm looking at my options now.

I have 14 drives, and over 16TB of storage, so moving to a new solution will be an exercise in evaluating the options and coming up with a workable solution, not something that I'll take lightly, nor quickly.

But you're right, WHS v1 works fine for me now.

I didn't know if any other RAID solutions would be able to use different sized discs, or be able to be expanded in the future as easily as JBOD was.

Not as flexibly, you just have to make add them in pairs. You just have to make sure each of the halves has the same amount of space.

You may have seen me mention this elsewhere on the forum, but my solution is to use unRAID to hold all of my storage and for now run WHSv1 as a virtual machine on my Xenserver. Once we know more about Vail and Aurora I will made the decision on which one will replace my WHSv1 machine. However, in either case unRAID will manage all the storage.

unRaid will not be as fast as some of the normal raid solutions, but it does let you use different sized drives and if you lose more than one drive the array is not destroyed. Since it uses a parity drive and not duplication, you should save drive space compared to WHS's DE.

For me, WHS is really just for backing up all my PC's in the house and I can live with v1 for a good while.