RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

iPad for Autistic Kids

jam3ohio

I have been considering an iPad for a while for my 4.5 year old son. I have mentioned in other posts about trying out different pieces of technology with him (like Kinect for XBox360). Their is an application called iPrompts from a company called HandHold Adaptive. iPrompts basically works the same way that the purpose built devices link Dynavox that are used with kids with Autism (only is costs considerably less).

BTW - There was just a story I saw about a game system reviewer with a son in the spectrum. His son always had difficulties with controllers but picked up playing Kinect games right away. Something to pass on to your nephews family.

I have been considering an iPad for a while for my 4.5 year old son. I have mentioned in other posts about trying out different pieces of technology with him (like Kinect for XBox360). Their is an application called iPrompts from a company called HandHold Adaptive. iPrompts basically works the same way that the purpose built devices link Dynavox that are used with kids with Autism (only is costs considerably less).

BTW - There was just a story I saw about a game system reviewer with a son in the spectrum. His son always had difficulties with controllers but picked up playing Kinect games right away. Something to pass on to your nephews family.

Thanks for the pointers...will pass that on. Have you seen anything like iPrompts for Android?

Jij,

Thanks for the pointers...will pass that on. Have you seen anything like iPrompts for Android?

Jij,

Nope...nothing yet.

• 2 months later...

I am just resurrecting this because we bought an iPod at Christmas and my son is doing awesome with it. He is an Angry Birds fanatic and he has figure out how to play videos too. We have to take it away from him because he wants to take it everywhere. Next app purchase will probably be Proloquo2. It is $189 but has been recommended a couple times by Speech therapists and Pediatricians.

I am just resurrecting this because we bought an iPod at Christmas and my son is doing awesome with it. He is an Angry Birds fanatic and he has figure out how to play videos too. We have to take it away from him because he wants to take it everywhere. Next app purchase will probably be Proloquo2. It is $189 but has been recommended a couple times by Speech therapists and Pediatricians.

My nephew has taken to the Wii. All of the Miis have to be African American and wear green shirts. He LOVES the Wii.

Who knew that tech like this could help these kids? He's making real progress.

Jim