RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Joe_Miner

My earliest Configuration was just one drive -- the Samsung 840 Pro attached to SATA Port5 for my OS drive

2017-04-15 SATA Port5 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

Later I added a Corsair Force GT to SATA Port6 (CDM comment bar incorrectly says Force 3) -- I enabled Hyper-V and loaded a VM on the Force GT

2017-04-15 SATA Port6 Corsair Force3.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

OK, a 60GB SSD was too small for me to add much in the way of VMs so I next added two 300GB VelociRaptors to Bays 1 & 2 (i.e. PORTS 1 & 2) and created a Software RAID0 with them for more VMs

2017-04-15 Ports1&2 2 300GB VRs RAID0.JPG

I next added 2 5TB Enterprise drives in Bays 3 & 4 (i.e. SATA Ports 3 & 4) and created a Software RAID1 -- later I would add a number of video and large files simulating a home database

2017-04-15 Ports3&4 2 5TB SE RAID1.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Which gave me the following configuration:

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA

• 32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled
  • OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay
  • Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay on top of OS drive (the first drive I attached to SATA PORT6 was a Corsair Force GT 60GB
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x WD5001F9YZ in drive bays 3&4
  • Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” 
  • 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   
  • 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port
  • Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable
  • SDM 3.5 (revised)

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

2017-05-01 SATA Port5 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

2017-05-01 SATA Port6 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

2017-05-01 Ports1&2 2 300GB VRs RAID0.JPG

2017-05-01 Ports3&4 2 5TB SE RAID1.JPG

• Joe_Miner pinned this topic

I changed out the 5TB drives with two 1TB 2.5" RED WD10JVCX using Icy Dock EZConvert's in Drive Bays 3 & 4 (SATA Ports 3 & 4) and did a RAID1 with them

2017-06-04 Ports3&4 2 1TB RED RAID1.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

I next moved the Samsung SSD on PORT6 from the ODD Bay to a modified SDM R3.5 and mounted that on the side of the PSU - I didn't notice any change in performance but I did notice that like with the Gen8 there was enough space to mount a 15mm thick drive on the modified SDM R3.5 and still be able to get the cover onto the Gen10 MicroServer BETA

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

I next wanted to try removing the Samsung SSD off of PORT6 and replacing it with a WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5" HDD using the modified SDM R3.5 Mounted on the side of the 200W PSU

2017-06-04 Ports3&4 2 1TB RED RAID1.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

I am now at As-Built June 5, 2017:

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA 

• 32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled
  • OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay
  • Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5” HDD mounted on revised SDM 3.5 that I mounted on side of PSU
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x 2.5” WD10JVCX Red Drives in Icy Dock’s EZConvert’s in drive bays 3&4
  • Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” 
  • 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   
  • 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port
  • Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable
  • SDM 3.5 (revised)
  • MicroSoft wireless Keyboard & Mouse

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Joe

thanks for sharing.  I want to buy the same machine for me. I'm wondering if I need to change the bios or do other tricks in order to let the OS run over a separate SSD like you did. My plan is to have four HDD and a separate SSD for the operating system. Could you let me know if it natively boots up from a 5th sata interface?  another question did you do any experience regarding the noise level and can you let me know what it is?

Nope.  Pretty much like the older G7's -- but with no BIOS mods or tricks needed.

I thought it was quiet unless I worked it hard then I could hear the fan spin up.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• BooyaK
        By BooyaK
        Hi all

Apologies for hijacking a new thread as I couldn’t easily find an existing post which described this..

I have an original HP Microserver N36L from 2012 that am Iooking to upgrade to a Gen 10 Plus.

In the N36L I have added a Smart Array P410 with 256MB FBWC (via ebay) configured with 4 x 2TB WD Green drives with RAID5 (6TB logical) along with a 256GB SSD as a boot system drive in the ODD bay (with the BIOS mod of course) plus a PCIe x1 video card.

The server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 but looking to uplift to 2019 (and maybe 2022 once it comes out) for general home enthusiast use mainly as a file server and to test VMs for labs.

Am I able to “lift and shift” the drive array subsystem from the old to new server? I have done this on the DL380s in the past as the controllers and drives hold the RAID config.

I guess I’m happy to get a new boot SSD if required (maybe boot issues between AMD and Intel CPU) but may have constraints mentioned below with the 5th interface.

Have read from the various great posts by schoondoggy etc. that the P410 has issues with UEFI etc, so looking at a compatible option that’s not the “latest and greatest” eg something that can bought via ebay second-hand and relatively inexpensive (the E208i-p maybe stretching it…) and can of course read the existing RAID5 array config from the drives.

Once moved across, I plan to progressively update them to larger HDD or SSDs and use the Smart Array expansion utility to expand the RAID-5 logical drive size once array rebuilds are complete.

From what I understand I can’t add the 5th drive as there is no onboard NVMe or SATA connector. There is USB3 to boot off a thumb drive of course which is great for VMWare ESXi but maybe not for Windows…

If I add the Smart Array card I guess it may limit my options as I understand it only has one PCIe x16 slot so can’t do both.

Does anyone have any suggestions or other techniques (for example I’m not fussed with the expansion iLo slot but I think dedicated for that purpose only)?
        I have also looked at some of the great Servethehome reviews and benchmarks too but these are early 2020 and things may have evolved since then.

Thanks in advance!
      • oldwhs12
        By oldwhs12
        I have been running the WHS1 pack 3 for many years.  Unfortunately it is no longer working.  I got a Proliant microserver Gen10 hoping it will run it but was unable to install the software.  The software should run on most older PCs?

Does anyone have the WHS1 running on the Gen10?  Also my WHS1 iso is Pack 1.  If I manage to install the Pack 1 can I find on the web the upgrade to pack 3?  Would I be forever stuck at Pack 1?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• AVsonyfan
        By AVsonyfan
        All credit to schoondoggy for his original idea. A shame I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to order an SDM kit as the import duties make it an expensive option, or would have if they were still available. I had to look around to see what alternatives I could find... and managed to find the bits needed on Amazon!

I must admit I am rather pleased with the end result of this project and may repeat it on the other Gen8 MicroServer. The outcome is a server with a mirrored system drive on the internal B120i, and the main drive bays connected to an HP P222 card providing a RAID-10 data volume. This is pretty much my ideal setup for a stable resilient but small server.

Sabrent 3.5" to x2 SSD Internal Mounting Kit (BK-HDCC)
        Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/32qEVou
        Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h8Blom
        The kit comes with all the cabling you need and all the required screws to mount the drives and bracket.
        Two types of power splitter cables are included along with two SATA cables. The bracket holds two SSDs and provides a small gap between them.

I mounted the bracket next to the PSU but leaving a 2-3mm gap to allow for some airflow past the SSDs in case they get warmed by the P222.

Tips:
        Put some insulating tape along the underneath of the upper chassis rail next to the PSU and drilled three small holes.
        I used two strips on to stop the drill bit from walking across the metal. Drill with a 2mm first then a 2.5mm bit. This leaves enough metal for screws to thread in.
        Check and measure each hole against the bracket as you go so that they line up. Bracket is then fixed in place using the provided screws (see photo).

The final part of the puzzle is another Mini-SAS to SATA cable the same as the one connected to the internal drive bays.
        This is an SFF-8087 Mini-SAS [male] connector to 4 SATA [female] header cables. The 50cm cable from Jyopto works great and not too much spare to lose within the system.
        Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2CXAzgb
        I could not find it on Amazon US site but there was one from CableCreations that same length.

Just need to add your choice of SSDs and cable up to B120i port.  I went with Samsung 860 Pro SSDs for the longer rated lifespan of write cycles.

I decided to forget about an internal DVD/RW drive and opted for an external HP F2B56AA slimline drive that can be plugged into the USB of either system.
        Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2EgSSxD
        Amazon US - https://amzn.to/326uFmL

Sabrent also make a really good quality 2.5" to 3.5" bay converter adapter (BK-PCBS) that I have used in the EX490/X510 to convert from HDD to SSD system drives.
        Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3jbYBmT
        Amazon US - https://amzn.to/335kXQz

Hopefully this information will prove useful to some looking to update their MicroServer.

• E3000
        By E3000
        Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
      • E3000
        By E3000
        Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?