RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Performance - Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Joe_Miner

My earliest Configuration was just one drive -- the Samsung 840 Pro attached to SATA Port5 for my OS drive

2017-04-15 SATA Port5 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

Later I added a Corsair Force GT to SATA Port6 (CDM comment bar incorrectly says Force 3) -- I enabled Hyper-V and loaded a VM on the Force GT

2017-04-15 SATA Port6 Corsair Force3.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

Joe_Miner

OK, a 60GB SSD was too small for me to add much in the way of VMs so I next added two 300GB VelociRaptors to Bays 1 & 2 (i.e. PORTS 1 & 2) and created a Software RAID0 with them for more VMs

2017-04-15 Ports1&2 2 300GB VRs RAID0.JPG

Joe_Miner

I next added 2 5TB Enterprise drives in Bays 3 & 4 (i.e. SATA Ports 3 & 4) and created a Software RAID1 -- later I would add a number of video and large files simulating a home database

2017-04-15 Ports3&4 2 5TB SE RAID1.JPG

DSC_0047.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Joe_Miner

Not long after that I replaced the Corsair Force GT with another Samsung 840 Pro 256GB:

2017-04-15 SATA Port6 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

Joe_Miner

Which gave me the following configuration:

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA

• 32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled
  • OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay
  • Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay on top of OS drive (the first drive I attached to SATA PORT6 was a Corsair Force GT 60GB
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x WD5001F9YZ in drive bays 3&4
  • Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” 
  • 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   
  • 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port
  • Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable
  • SDM 3.5 (revised)

DSC_0056.JPG

DSC_0060.JPG

2017-05-01 SATA Port5 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

2017-05-01 SATA Port6 Samsung 840 Pro.JPG

2017-05-01 Ports1&2 2 300GB VRs RAID0.JPG

2017-05-01 Ports3&4 2 5TB SE RAID1.JPG

Joe_Miner

I changed out the 5TB drives with two 1TB 2.5" RED WD10JVCX using Icy Dock EZConvert's in Drive Bays 3 & 4 (SATA Ports 3 & 4) and did a RAID1 with them

2017-06-04 Ports3&4 2 1TB RED RAID1.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

DSC_0079.JPG

Joe_Miner

I next moved the Samsung SSD on PORT6 from the ODD Bay to a modified SDM R3.5 and mounted that on the side of the PSU - I didn't notice any change in performance but I did notice that like with the Gen8 there was enough space to mount a 15mm thick drive on the modified SDM R3.5 and still be able to get the cover onto the Gen10 MicroServer BETA

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0067.JPG

Joe_Miner

I next wanted to try removing the Samsung SSD off of PORT6 and replacing it with a WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5" HDD using the modified SDM R3.5 Mounted on the side of the 200W PSU

2017-06-04 Ports3&4 2 1TB RED RAID1.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

I am now at As-Built June 5, 2017:

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 BETA 

• 32GB RAM (2 x KVR24E17D8/16)
  • Windows 10 Pro x64 with HyperV enabled
  • OS Drive: SATA Port 5 – Samsung 840 Pro 256GB located in ODD bay
  • Data Drive: SATA Port 6 – WL500GLSA8100 500GB 10K RPM 2.5” HDD mounted on revised SDM 3.5 that I mounted on side of PSU
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 1&2 in SW RAID0 2 x WD3000HLHX in drive bays 1&2
  • Data Drive: SATA Ports 3&4 in SW RAID1 2 x 2.5” WD10JVCX Red Drives in Icy Dock’s EZConvert’s in drive bays 3&4
  • Main Monitor attached with HDMI cable via : Passive “4K DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI Adapter by Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI UHD 2K 3D Audio and Video Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord” 
  • 2nd Monitor attached with HDMI cable via: “Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter”   
  • 3rd Monitor attached to VGA Port
  • Misc. Cables: 2 SATAIII, Dell MX714 Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Cable, SATA Power to two SATA Power Y splitter cable
  • SDM 3.5 (revised)
  • MicroSoft wireless Keyboard & Mouse

• Like 1

Lallkopf

Hi Joe

thanks for sharing.  I want to buy the same machine for me. I'm wondering if I need to change the bios or do other tricks in order to let the OS run over a separate SSD like you did. My plan is to have four HDD and a separate SSD for the operating system. Could you let me know if it natively boots up from a 5th sata interface?  another question did you do any experience regarding the noise level and can you let me know what it is?

Joe_Miner

Nope.  Pretty much like the older G7's -- but with no BIOS mods or tricks needed.

I thought it was quiet unless I worked it hard then I could hear the fan spin up.