RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Lord Raven
On 20/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, schoondoggy said:

Not sure if it does. Unfortunatley, I do not have a good way to test it right now.

Hi Sir, 

My server has arrived. I totally missed that it does not have a HDMI port for display. What is he adapter required to use HDMI cable? Can you please post a link or description? I need an adapter that will send Bitstream, I think it'll be possible. 

Best Regards

Lord Raven

Are these the two cables mentioned in main post for DP to HDMI? 

DisplayPort to HDMI 4K UHD Adapter with Audio, Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI Ultra HD 4K 2K 3D Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord for Lenovo Dell HP and other Brand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06VV26BLB/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_UoHkAbPFR0BBM

Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord Supporting Eyefinity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5DX296/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_FsHkAb4S8BCJC

What cable do I need to connect Samsung SSD to SATA port? 

Thanks & Regards

Lord Raven
9 hours ago, Scepticalist said:

The onboard SATA port is a nomal SATA connection. A standard SATA cable is fine, but you'll need an adapter to change a floppy power into a SATA power connector:

https://www.amazon.com/Delock-Power-Cable-15pin-floppy/dp/B018NKPZVW/

Thank you so much. This is the power converter cable, what is a good data cable?

Also, I only have a single display, which is 4k. What is the difference between Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord AND DisplayPort to HDMI 4K UHD Adapter with Audio, Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI Ultra HD 4K 2K 3D Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord?

I will only buy one of these. Festive time is here and shipping will be delayed.

schoondoggy
Thank you so much. This is the power converter cable, what is a good data cable?

Also, I only have a single display, which is 4k. What is the difference between Active DisplayPort to HDMI 4K Adapter, Benfei DP to HDMI Ultra HD Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord AND DisplayPort to HDMI 4K UHD Adapter with Audio, Benfei DP Display Port to HDMI Ultra HD 4K 2K 3D Converter Male to Female Gold-Plated Cord?

I will only buy one of these. Festive time is here and shipping will be delayed.
Currently I do not have a 4K tv, but if I was trying to connect the MS Gen10 to a 4K tv I would search on these terms: displayport 1.2 to hdmi 4k active. I would probably try one of these: Vantec DisplayPort 1.2 to 4K HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter - 4K@60Hz (CB-HD20DP12.

Lord Raven
On 09/12/2017 at 3:44 AM, schoondoggy said:
On 09/12/2017 at 1:30 AM, Lord Raven said:

Currently I do not have a 4K tv, but if I was trying to connect the MS Gen10 to a 4K tv I would search on these terms: displayport 1.2 to hdmi 4k active. I would probably try one of these: Vantec DisplayPort 1.2 to 4K HDMI 2.0 Active Adapter - 4K@60Hz (CB-HD20DP12.

Thanks for your response. I did my research and ended up buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017BQ8I54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has amazing reviews, people seem to love it and they tested it for 4k at 60Hz. I am going to test it for myself when it arrives. This had amazing reviews with AMD GPUs, so I went for it. I hope it will work. Just documenting it for others.

brewmonkey

Six months after release now and I can't seem to find one of these anywhere with the X3421 APU. Anyone else find them available anywhere? Thanks!

schoondoggy

I hear from friends at AMD they have not been able to supply the x3421. If all goes well they should have them Q1 2018.

dragosj

On my MS Gen8 with 1265L V2 and 8GB HP RAM I get 8215 in CPU PassMark so seems better than MS Gen10 with AMD. For me, not having iLO is a deal breaker as I'm not using it for conversion (I stream over network on my two android TV's at 4K with no issues at all). If they will launch a Gen10 Microserver with iLO I will jump on it of course :).

Thx for review schoondoggy.

schoondoggy
On 11/24/2017 at 6:12 AM, pcarmo said:

Thanks schoondoggy.

Can you elaborate a little more. Didn't work at all?

I know there is some problem enabling the Smart Array Pxxx controllers ROM on a non Proliant server (I remember reading that it is related to some iLo hooks). Was that the problem?

My goal would be to build a home NAS with 4x4Gb WD Red SATA disks at RAID 5. I don't want software raid (been there) but I'm cool with hardware RAID as I use it a lot on work (mainly with P400 on a DL380 with SAS).

What are my options for a hardware RAID controller that works on the Microserver Gen10? (online RAID expansion would be a nice bonus).

Thanks you,

Paulo Carmo

Sorry for not replying sooner.

When I initially tested the P222 it kept the server from booting. Over the past couple of days I have been playing with RAID and HBA cards in the MS Gen10. I was still having issues, until I changed from UEFI boot to legacy boot. In legacy boot I was able to get the P222 to work and a LSI SAS 9261-8i.