RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Lallkopf

I did Turn Off UEFI and also Set the SSD as First Boot device. Still it does not boot from SSD. 

schoondoggy
11 hours ago, Lallkopf said:

I did Turn Off UEFI and also Set the SSD as First Boot device. Still it does not boot from SSD. 

Is the SSD the only drive in the server?

Lallkopf
On 9/16/2017 at 7:04 PM, schoondoggy said:

Is the SSD the only drive in the server?

My setup looks like this. I have 2 RAID HDD with 3TB each. I use it for data backup and multimedia purposes. The other two bays I like to use as a normal storage for multimedia only - both data content are expandable. All these drives are HDDs (2x3TB RAID;; 1 x3TB & 1x4TB). For the OS I wanted to use the 5th SATA interface with my SSD (120GB - I know it's big...).

Originally idea was to install NAS4Free on the SSD. Unfortunately there are some issues with the compatibility of this OS, but I saw that the booting process worked with SSD. Therefore I wanted to install Linux. I tried to install either Debian and Ubuntu distribution. Interesting was, that via internal USB it worked like a charm. I could see and install both distributions on the SSD. Once I rebooted with SSD as boot device it hang up stating that there is no OS installed. I guess that there is still a BIOS problem, but I'm not sure.

By the way thanks for helping! :)

schoondoggy

I am not as Linux knowledgeable as I should be, but when I have boot issues I try to get back to the basics. I would remove all of the drives other than the SSD and I would clear all partitions from the SSD. Then I would do a clean load of a OS and see if it boots. If I get a chance I will try to load Ubuntu on a SSD in my Gen10. 

Lallkopf

I tried this before. I removed all drives and made a clean Linux setup on the ssd without any other partitions. Same result. I was puzzled since starting Linux with USB seemed to be no problem. This is why I assumed it might be a BIOS issue. Another possibility might be that the server is broken. I considered this as a low chance possibility. 

Lord Raven

Hi, has anyone used Gen10 as HTPC here? I am interested to know if it's graphic card can do bit-streaming for DTS capable AVR or TV?

I read it is the best choice for media servers and HTPC, if compared with Gen8. I hope it is true so far after its release. Thanks

schoondoggy
On 11/15/2017 at 6:18 AM, Lord Raven said:

Hi, has anyone used Gen10 as HTPC here? I am interested to know if it's graphic card can do bit-streaming for DTS capable AVR or TV?

I read it is the best choice for media servers and HTPC, if compared with Gen8. I hope it is true so far after its release. Thanks

Not sure if it does. Unfortunatley, I do not have a good way to test it right now.

pcarmo

Does anyone know if HPE Smart Array P420 controller will work on the Microserver Gen 10?

schoondoggy
Does anyone know if HPE Smart Array P420 controller will work on the Microserver Gen 10?
I have not tried a P420, but I did try a P222 and it did not work.

pcarmo

Thanks schoondoggy.

Can you elaborate a little more. Didn't work at all?

I know there is some problem enabling the Smart Array Pxxx controllers ROM on a non Proliant server (I remember reading that it is related to some iLo hooks). Was that the problem?

My goal would be to build a home NAS with 4x4Gb WD Red SATA disks at RAID 5. I don't want software raid (been there) but I'm cool with hardware RAID as I use it a lot on work (mainly with P400 on a DL380 with SAS).

What are my options for a hardware RAID controller that works on the Microserver Gen10? (online RAID expansion would be a nice bonus).

Thanks you,

Paulo Carmo