Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Recommended Posts

schoondoggy
7 hours ago, FreeN@S said:

 

Now both Gen8 and N54l/40l/36l users hate Gen10 :D N54l/40l/36l was liked because they can fit 6 x 3,5" drives and have a RAIDZ2 array.

I work for >10.000+ enterprises , non of them bough Microserver Gen8. As you say, it did have features, but it is not a server for Enterprises.

 

Can you also test ZFS much liked IBM M1015 controller, to passthrough it to VM ?

 

Most N54l/40l/36l users that did not like MS Gen8 was due to the complexity of iLo, IP, B120i boot from ODD port. 

M1015 is going to be a problem in the Gen10, due to the tab above the PCIe slots. The SFF-8087 connectors on a M1015 are directly under that tab facing up. It would be a very tight turn on the cable. I cant risk damaging the cable on the beta unit. Also in its current path the cable is too short to reach that far ahead. It may reach if I change the routing. As I found all of my M1015's were not going to work, I bought a HP H220 which is a LSI SAS 9205, in the picture below. For some reason the H220 did not see the drives I was testing. I switched to four Hitachi drives and it sees them. Wasted the better part of a day on that. I also seem to have a red LED on the motherboard now. I think I will be stripping it down and starting over fresh. 

 

20170612_094748.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael Charlton

We've got 150+ Gen8 and a few remaining Gen7 (2 or 3) out and about in customer sites... we bought the RAC cards with the Gen7, and iLo Advanced with the Gen8. We used them to replace aging Dell and HP tower or rack servers (ML/DL, PowerEdge) and ran 2008 Core Hyper-V with a few guest machines... lack of iLo on Gen10 is a killer for us really, and we'd end up looking at towers again I think, even though the other main plus point was a tiny+quiet box that could live anywhere, and which didn't need a rack or a chunk of space.

 

Still want a Gen10 for home though, just because!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trig0r

If I were still rocking the Gen8, I don't think I'd bother with the Gen10, even less so now I've got Frank.

Hopefully, we'll see a bit more direction from HPE with the Gen11/12 if they ever arrive, hopefully something with a socketted CPU is next, or, failing that maybe Dell/Lenovo or someone else will step into the hole HPE seem to have left..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
On 6/12/2017 at 10:24 AM, schoondoggy said:

Most N54l/40l/36l users that did not like MS Gen8 was due to the complexity of iLo, IP, B120i boot from ODD port. 

M1015 is going to be a problem in the Gen10, due to the tab above the PCIe slots. The SFF-8087 connectors on a M1015 are directly under that tab facing up. It would be a very tight turn on the cable. I cant risk damaging the cable on the beta unit. Also in its current path the cable is too short to reach that far ahead. It may reach if I change the routing. As I found all of my M1015's were not going to work, I bought a HP H220 which is a LSI SAS 9205, in the picture below. For some reason the H220 did not see the drives I was testing. I switched to four Hitachi drives and it sees them. Wasted the better part of a day on that. I also seem to have a red LED on the motherboard now. I think I will be stripping it down and starting over fresh. 

 

20170612_094748.jpg

M1015 will not work in the MS Gen10 due to cabling. LSI 9205 or 9207 would be good choices. If your card has connectors like the picture below it will not work with the cabling in the MS Gen10.

20170612_231057.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
On 6/12/2017 at 2:11 AM, FreeN@S said:

 

Now both Gen8 and N54l/40l/36l users hate Gen10 :D N54l/40l/36l was liked because they can fit 6 x 3,5" drives and have a RAIDZ2 array.

I work for >10.000+ enterprises , non of them bough Microserver Gen8. As you say, it did have features, but it is not a server for Enterprises.

 

Can you also test ZFS much liked IBM M1015 controller, to passthrough it to VM ?

 

Waiting for info back from HPE. Everything in ESXi under pass-through is listed as 'not capable' including the H220 which I have run pass-through on other HP servers. Checked all BIOS settings everything seems to be in order. Checking for new BIOS or other direction from HPE development team.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, yodafett said:

Schoondoggy, does esxi see a mirrored drive array,   I could see using it as an esxi box instead of a converted desktop with 3 mirrored arrays,  2 ssd arrays and 1 spindle storage array.  Could put esxi on the internal port,  at most add a 10gbe on pci slot. 

The on board Marvell SATA controller uses software RAID and is not recognized by ESXi.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FreeN@S
2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Waiting for info back from HPE. Everything in ESXi under pass-through is listed as 'not capable' including the H220 which I have run pass-through on other HP servers. Checked all BIOS settings everything seems to be in order. Checking for new BIOS or other direction from HPE development team.

The on board Marvell SATA controller uses software RAID and is not recognized by ESXi.  

 

This suggest that maybe this APU is not capable of AMD IOMMU .  Lets see what HPE reply about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Magnets

Does the CPU support AES-NI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nomorlow
Quote

M1015 will not work in the MS Gen10 due to cabling. LSI 9205 or 9207 would be good choices. If your card has connectors like the picture below it will not work with the cabling in the MS Gen10.

Had seen that in the first Review to. This stupid steel sheet just shrinks to Low Profile Cards ... there is no other reason ...

 

the Gen10 looks like a artificial shrink of possibilities against a lot of Users.

The Gen10 got his Usercases but it's not what it was before with low end shrink tech and wasted space.

Edited by Nomorlow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
On 6/6/2017 at 9:49 AM, schoondoggy said:

John and I are the only two I am aware of in the Reset forum. From what I have heard they sent several units to application specif partners, 

The 6th SATA port is about the only thing I can think of that may be in question.

There will be 5 SATA ports on the production MS Gen10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi 
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.
       
      Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(
       

    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.
       
      New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.
       
    • Angelus
      By Angelus
      Good day all
       
      i bought a gen 10 x3216 MicroServer and I have been trying to install windows server 2016 on it with a usb and I get it to boot into the usb with the iso on it but I can not get past the one install step where u supposed to select the drive.
       
      instead it says to download storage drivers and browse to select driver. I have downloaded every single storage driver from the hpe site or is sure does feel like it.
       
      if I try to select the driver I have to do so manually by unticking show only compatible drivers because if I leave it ticked there is nothing compatible. Iam stumped on what the correct driver is.
       
      ok so what Iam trying to do isssssss I want to install the os onto the usb that I have attached inside the box the one that is directly coming off the board. Is that a different driver ? 
       
      In bios/boot up options I can see all usb connected.
       
      can anyone please help me with this 
    • Mark Belanger
      By Mark Belanger
      Greetings,
       
      I'm new to the HPMSG8 world and so far I'm loving it. I have a stock Xeon with 16G of aftermarket memory with iLO patched to 2.70. Next up is adding a RAID card, so I can put my boot SSD on the onboard RAID. I picked up a LSI SAS9211-8i on Amazon, but am struggling to flash it to IT mode on the MicroServer. Is this even possible? Unfortunately, the only other system I have with PCI slots is 32-bit.
       
      Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
       
       
      -MB


×
×
  • Create New...