RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

yodafett

Rethinking about this box.  Maybe instead of comparing it to the gen8 we compare it to the qnaps and synologys in the same price bracket. With the clearOS, it seems to hit as more of a cross between the NAS and the mediasmart servers.  Especially  against like a qnap 451+ with both having video out, Plex, etc. 

yodafett
9 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Sorry, life got in the way of fun! Up and running ESXi from a USB drive. I have a SSD on SATA Port5 and a small HD on SATA Port6. I will put four drives in the bays and try to pass through the Marvell controller to a VM. I will start a new thread to discuss ESXi on the MS Gen10:

esxi Gen10.JPG

Schoondoggy, does esxi see a mirrored drive array,   I could see using it as an esxi box instead of a converted desktop with 3 mirrored arrays,  2 ssd arrays and 1 spindle storage array.  Could put esxi on the internal port,  at most add a 10gbe on pci slot. 

FreeN@S

it is still interesting to see how it will work with ESXi, devices passtrough and etc. 

but for a little more, you can configure yourself future proof Supermicro mini-ITX box with Xeon D-1521 4core/8threads which can hold up to 128GB RDIMM ECC or 64GB UDIMM ECC.

you will also get 2x 10GBe, M.2 slot, 6x6Gbps SATA3 and IPMI. 

priced around 500eur :  X10SDV-4C-TLN2F  + SC721TQ-250B beautifull chasis for another 150eur.

Gen10 is step back, but pricey. Can't imagine myself paying 666eur for a AMD SoC  and low end features..

• Like 1

strux

Thanks for review! However, I'm very disappointed. My personal feel is, that this is a watered down, step back version, so they get better price margins. Even simple things like front mask, is poorer. Gen8 lockable front mask is more than awesome, why change it, with slap just the plastic on? 

I'm also not big fan of AMD, I would have liked to see Xeon in there, and what's even worse CPU cannot be changed if I understand it well.

All that and no ILO, just make it a plain small factor PC with ECC memory. 

Probably better deal would be to buy mini ITX from (e.g. EPC612D4I - Xeon E5-2600 , 64GB ECC DDR4 2400 RAM), find appropriate ITX box and be done with it. Much greater flexibility. And there is IPMI 2.0, which is similar to ILO.

I don't get it. Gen8 is awesome, people love it, it's cool it's great, you don't need to be a genius, or do fancy market research, (just read this forum) to see that people adore it. Just improve it, don't dumb it down. It doesn't make sense... For me decision to do this would be the same as if Apple, would dumb down iPhone to blackberry. 

• Like 1

schoondoggy

It all depends on your use case. A lot of MS N54l/40l/36l users hated the MS Gen8. The MS Gen8 did have the features of HPE Enterprise class servers, but I do not think many Enterprise customers bought it. HPE did a lot of work to position the MS Gen8 as a remote office server that could be managed from the Data Center, but I do not think many customers deployed it that way. I have to believe that some of their biggest customers advised them on features they wanted to see in a new MS Gen10. The MS Gen10 is a very different server than the MS Gen8 was. Time will tell if it is a hot or a miss. 

On 6/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, yodafett said:

Schoondoggy, does esxi see a mirrored drive array,   I could see using it as an esxi box instead of a converted desktop with 3 mirrored arrays,  2 ssd arrays and 1 spindle storage array.  Could put esxi on the internal port,  at most add a 10gbe on pci slot. 

I will try it and see what happens.

FreeN@S
4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

It all depends on your use case. A lot of MS N54l/40l/36l users hated the MS Gen8. The MS Gen8 did have the features of HPE Enterprise class servers, but I do not think many Enterprise customers bought it. HPE did a lot of work to position the MS Gen8 as a remote office server that could be managed from the Data Center, but I do not think many customers deployed it that way.

Now both Gen8 and N54l/40l/36l users hate Gen10 :D N54l/40l/36l was liked because they can fit 6 x 3,5" drives and have a RAIDZ2 array.

I work for >10.000+ enterprises , non of them bough Microserver Gen8. As you say, it did have features, but it is not a server for Enterprises.

Can you also test ZFS much liked IBM M1015 controller, to passthrough it to VM ?

Edited by FreeN@S

strux
3 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I think its fair to say that HPE have changed the target audience for the Gen10..

Yep that might be the case.