RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Trig0r

So, just out of interest how many of you guys here actaully have one of these Beta units, and what do we think, other then SATA6 will change between now and the actual release unit?

nrf

can anyone with a beta unit compare/contrast the ease of "operating" on it to add pci-e cards / change memory etc relative to earlier microserver generations?

thanks

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, Trig0r said:

So, just out of interest how many of you guys here actaully have one of these Beta units, and what do we think, other then SATA6 will change between now and the actual release unit?

John and I are the only two I am aware of in the Reset forum. From what I have heard they sent several units to application specif partners, 

The 6th SATA port is about the only thing I can think of that may be in question.

schoondoggy
3 hours ago, JackoUK said:

I agree with your 3-way use-case assessment ... and would like to know how the G10 performs as a 4K video streamer.

HP are citing this as a use-case too but the displayports are only rev. 1.2 which I believe is limited to a 60/75 Hz refresh rate, New TV's have moved up to 120Hz.

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=a00008776enw&doctype=Solution

If you don't own a 4K TV then I'll understand why you can't do the test!

I am embarrassed to say I don't have a 4K TV yet!

FreeN@S

yes, thats why we , server guys , need iLO, not a 4K monitor next to server :)

• Like 1

Trig0r

tbh, the more I think about how much I used iLO vs ditching the onboard Matrox GPU (if you could call it a GPU) the only think that does bother me is them going back to soldered CPU's, one of the greatest strenghts of the Gen8, imho, was the ability to buy it cheap, get it up and running, then upgrade it as and when needed..

Dave

I've had the luxury of knowing about this release for a while and I've gathered a few thoughts on it but my main one is this. The Gen 10 feels like a "brother" box to the Gen 8. I think they should have released both at the same time honestly.  One is the Enterprise box, ILO, upgradeable, etc. and the other is slightly less yet still powerful enough.  I personally don't need ILO and all of those options of RAID cards and such.  I do however, greatly appreciate having the option of a slightly upgradeable box that will serve my home needs.  I would love to have a Gen 10 to try to use as my Plex server and maybe a camera server. Perhaps even replace my NAS.

I see it as an add-on and not so much of a replacement.  I don't know if HP will agree with me but there it is! I hope the Gen 8 has a good healthy life beyond the 10.  I would also hope for some good price cuts for you guys! My 2 cents.

schoondoggy
23 minutes ago, Dave said:

I've had the luxury of knowing about this release for a while and I've gathered a few thoughts on it but my main one is this. The Gen 10 feels like a "brother" box to the Gen 8. I think they should have released both at the same time honestly.  One is the Enterprise box, ILO, upgradeable, etc. and the other is slightly less yet still powerful enough.  I personally don't need ILO and all of those options of RAID cards and such.  I do however, greatly appreciate having the option of a slightly upgradeable box that will serve my home needs.  I would love to have a Gen 10 to try to use as my Plex server and maybe a camera server. Perhaps even replace my NAS.

I see it as an add-on and not so much of a replacement.  I don't know if HP will agree with me but there it is! I hope the Gen 8 has a good healthy life beyond the 10.  I would also hope for some good price cuts for you guys! My 2 cents.

The features of the MS Gen10 make it a nice fit for a SMB commercial surveillance server and security viewing station all in one. Pair it up with Milestone software, cameras and two monitors. 

• Like 1

Dave

I can totally see that.  Do you see it as an "add-on" server for the SMB and mid size business channel? We need a box to do "x," but don't want to invest thousands of dollars to do so.  Upgrade in the future perhaps.

Dave

Just wanted to say thanks to @Joe_Miner and @schoondoggy for this great coverage of the Gen 10. Love the videos John. No clue that you were an engineer in past life!

#detail

Last comment/question, where does the #RESET sticker go on the Gen 10?

• Like 1