RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

My First Review of HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA

Lord Raven

Hi, my server spends about 1 minute in post process. Is there a way to reduce this time? What is causing this long duration? Thanks

schoondoggy
Hi, my server spends about 1 minute in post process. Is there a way to reduce this time? What is causing this long duration? Thanks
Are you using UEFI boot or legacy?

Lord Raven
33 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:
21 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Are you using UEFI boot or legacy?

UEFI to boot Windows 10 Enterprise

schoondoggy
You may be able to go into the BIOS and remove the NIC's from boot to shave a little time off. Do you have any other cards in the server?

Lord Raven
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:
1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

You may be able to go into the BIOS and remove the NIC's from boot to shave a little time off. Do you have any other cards in the server?

I have disabled all other boot options, but still, the system stays in the post for about 1 minute before booting OS. This is weird. I have disabled the 2nd NIC from boot options. 1st NIC is connected and in use.

The other boot options are disabled. I do not have any other cards installed. 2 x WD drives on 1 and 2 ports and SSD on port 5 using a floppy power converter.

Do you think it is some kind of hardware issue?

schoondoggy
I have disabled all other boot options, but still, the system stays in the post for about 1 minute before booting OS. This is weird. I have disabled the 2nd NIC from boot options. 1st NIC is connected and in use.

The other boot options are disabled. I do not have any other cards installed. 2 x WD drives on 1 and 2 ports and SSD on port 5 using a floppy power converter.

Looking back on initial testing I did with the beta unit, initial boot time was about 50 seconds. The more things I installed and tested the longer boot times got. I may try clearing the BIOS to get back to a clean state. If your server is taking 60 seconds to boot, that sounds about like what it should be.

Lord Raven
4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:
4 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Looking back on initial testing I did with the beta unit, initial boot time was about 50 seconds. The more things I installed and tested the longer boot times got. I may try clearing the BIOS to get back to a clean state. If your server is taking 60 seconds to boot, that sounds about like what it should be.

It starts booting after a 1-minute delay when you see the dots in a circular motion.  I tried to update the BIOS but the SW won't download from HP site, they need some kind of agreement to download it. Can I get the update from somewhere else?

schoondoggy
10 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

It starts booting after a 1-minute delay when you see the dots in a circular motion.  I tried to update the BIOS but the SW won't download from HP site, they need some kind of agreement to download it. Can I get the update from somewhere else?

You just need to register your server with HPE, then you can download BIOS while the server is under warranty. Setup a user profile at HPE Support Center then follow the directions here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04055475

Lord Raven
23 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You just need to register your server with HPE, then you can download BIOS while the server is under warranty. Setup a user profile at HPE Support Center then follow the directions here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04055475

Thanks. I have upgraded the BIOS. At first attempt, it gave a warning of the processor being overheated and it restarted, I don't know why. Then on the second attempt, it was updated without any notification of success. When I reboot the device, it stays even longer for boot. The Hp logo stays, then the device goes through another power cycle, then I see Hp logo and finally, the Windows starts to load.

Scepticalist

Having used HP servers for the last 20 years I'd say it's absolutely as intended. Their boot times have never been good - a DL380 can take up to 3 minutes. At the end of the day it's a server, it's not intended to be shut down/booted regularly.

Edited by Scepticalist
  • Like 1