• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• Lord Raven

• FreeN@S

• Trig0r

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its fair to say that HPE have changed the target audience for the Gen10..

Perhaps they don't actually know themselves where to target it, they've heard about people wanting a Gen9 so know there's a market but they just don't know what it actually is and where to put it, Hom

I purchased one of these awhile back to play with. Needless to say, I modded it. I upgraded to 16gb of ram (for now).   It's got an Adaptec 5805 running 4x2tb disks up front. Mini-sas S

Posted Images

schoondoggy
Hi, my server spends about 1 minute in post process. Is there a way to reduce this time? What is causing this long duration? Thanks
Are you using UEFI boot or legacy?
33 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:
21 hours ago, Lord Raven said:
Hi, my server spends about 1 minute in post process. Is there a way to reduce this time? What is causing this long duration? Thanks

Are you using UEFI boot or legacy?

UEFI to boot Windows 10 Enterprise

schoondoggy
You may be able to go into the BIOS and remove the NIC's from boot to shave a little time off. Do you have any other cards in the server?
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:
1 hour ago, Lord Raven said:

You may be able to go into the BIOS and remove the NIC's from boot to shave a little time off. Do you have any other cards in the server?

I have disabled all other boot options, but still, the system stays in the post for about 1 minute before booting OS. This is weird. I have disabled the 2nd NIC from boot options. 1st NIC is connected and in use.

The other boot options are disabled. I do not have any other cards installed. 2 x WD drives on 1 and 2 ports and SSD on port 5 using a floppy power converter.

Do you think it is some kind of hardware issue?

schoondoggy
I have disabled all other boot options, but still, the system stays in the post for about 1 minute before booting OS. This is weird. I have disabled the 2nd NIC from boot options. 1st NIC is connected and in use.

The other boot options are disabled. I do not have any other cards installed. 2 x WD drives on 1 and 2 ports and SSD on port 5 using a floppy power converter.

Looking back on initial testing I did with the beta unit, initial boot time was about 50 seconds. The more things I installed and tested the longer boot times got. I may try clearing the BIOS to get back to a clean state. If your server is taking 60 seconds to boot, that sounds about like what it should be.
4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:
4 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Looking back on initial testing I did with the beta unit, initial boot time was about 50 seconds. The more things I installed and tested the longer boot times got. I may try clearing the BIOS to get back to a clean state. If your server is taking 60 seconds to boot, that sounds about like what it should be.

It starts booting after a 1-minute delay when you see the dots in a circular motion.  I tried to update the BIOS but the SW won't download from HP site, they need some kind of agreement to download it. Can I get the update from somewhere else?

schoondoggy
10 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

It starts booting after a 1-minute delay when you see the dots in a circular motion.  I tried to update the BIOS but the SW won't download from HP site, they need some kind of agreement to download it. Can I get the update from somewhere else?

You just need to register your server with HPE, then you can download BIOS while the server is under warranty. Setup a user profile at HPE Support Center then follow the directions here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04055475

23 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

You just need to register your server with HPE, then you can download BIOS while the server is under warranty. Setup a user profile at HPE Support Center then follow the directions here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04055475

Thanks. I have upgraded the BIOS. At first attempt, it gave a warning of the processor being overheated and it restarted, I don't know why. Then on the second attempt, it was updated without any notification of success. When I reboot the device, it stays even longer for boot. The Hp logo stays, then the device goes through another power cycle, then I see Hp logo and finally, the Windows starts to load.

Scepticalist

Having used HP servers for the last 20 years I'd say it's absolutely as intended. Their boot times have never been good - a DL380 can take up to 3 minutes. At the end of the day it's a server, it's not intended to be shut down/booted regularly.

Edited by Scepticalist
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• oldwhs12
      By oldwhs12
      I have been running the WHS1 pack 3 for many years.  Unfortunately it is no longer working.  I got a Proliant microserver Gen10 hoping it will run it but was unable to install the software.  The software should run on most older PCs?

Does anyone have the WHS1 running on the Gen10?  Also my WHS1 iso is Pack 1.  If I manage to install the Pack 1 can I find on the web the upgrade to pack 3?  Would I be forever stuck at Pack 1?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• AVsonyfan
      By AVsonyfan
      All credit to schoondoggy for his original idea. A shame I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to order an SDM kit as the import duties make it an expensive option, or would have if they were still available. I had to look around to see what alternatives I could find... and managed to find the bits needed on Amazon!

I must admit I am rather pleased with the end result of this project and may repeat it on the other Gen8 MicroServer. The outcome is a server with a mirrored system drive on the internal B120i, and the main drive bays connected to an HP P222 card providing a RAID-10 data volume. This is pretty much my ideal setup for a stable resilient but small server.

Sabrent 3.5" to x2 SSD Internal Mounting Kit (BK-HDCC)
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/32qEVou
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h8Blom
      The kit comes with all the cabling you need and all the required screws to mount the drives and bracket.
      Two types of power splitter cables are included along with two SATA cables. The bracket holds two SSDs and provides a small gap between them.

I mounted the bracket next to the PSU but leaving a 2-3mm gap to allow for some airflow past the SSDs in case they get warmed by the P222.

Tips:
      Put some insulating tape along the underneath of the upper chassis rail next to the PSU and drilled three small holes.
      I used two strips on to stop the drill bit from walking across the metal. Drill with a 2mm first then a 2.5mm bit. This leaves enough metal for screws to thread in.
      Check and measure each hole against the bracket as you go so that they line up. Bracket is then fixed in place using the provided screws (see photo).

The final part of the puzzle is another Mini-SAS to SATA cable the same as the one connected to the internal drive bays.
      This is an SFF-8087 Mini-SAS [male] connector to 4 SATA [female] header cables. The 50cm cable from Jyopto works great and not too much spare to lose within the system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2CXAzgb
      I could not find it on Amazon US site but there was one from CableCreations that same length.

Just need to add your choice of SSDs and cable up to B120i port.  I went with Samsung 860 Pro SSDs for the longer rated lifespan of write cycles.

I decided to forget about an internal DVD/RW drive and opted for an external HP F2B56AA slimline drive that can be plugged into the USB of either system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2EgSSxD
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/326uFmL

Sabrent also make a really good quality 2.5" to 3.5" bay converter adapter (BK-PCBS) that I have used in the EX490/X510 to convert from HDD to SSD system drives.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3jbYBmT
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/335kXQz

Hopefully this information will prove useful to some looking to update their MicroServer.

• E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys,

Has anyone around here been successful in setting up Proxmox on a Gen8 using a HBA for storage?
    • hfournier
      By hfournier
      I'm putting together a build for a non-profit client and I want to make sure they're getting the best bang for their bucks.

Current server:
      HP MicroServer N40L 8 GB WS2012E Plextor PX-256M5Pro SSD - OS drive SAMSUNG HD103SI 1TB (x2) - Data drives (Storage Spaces) WDC WD20EZRX 2TB (x2) - Data drives (Storage Spaces)  
      On the new server, I'd like to setup the OS on SSDs (RAID 1) for speed and redundancy. Trying to squeeze extra SSDs on the Gen 10 Plus lead me to using the PCIe card. I guess on the Gen 10 there's enough room and SATA connections to put a couple of SSDs in the Optical bay instead. And, I'm leaving 1 drive bay empty to add another 2 TB should they need it, which is not likely.

New Server Option 1 ($2084 CDN):
      HP MicroServer Gen 10 X3418 (P07203-001) 8 GB 8 GB Module - DDR4 2400MHz (Kingston KTH-PL424E/8G) WS2016E StarTech.com Dual M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card - x8 / x16 Dual NVMe or AHCI M.2 SSD to PCI Express 3.0 - RAID & JBOD (PEX8M2E2) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) (x2) - OS Drives (RAID 1) WD Gold 2TB (x3) - Data drives (Storage Spaces, or can I RAID 5 them?)  
      New Server Option 2 ($2362):
      HP MicroServer Gen 10 Plus (P16006-001) 16 GB WS2016E StarTech.com Dual M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card - x8 / x16 Dual NVMe or AHCI M.2 SSD to PCI Express 3.0 - RAID & JBOD (PEX8M2E2) Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7E500BW) (x2) - OS Drives (RAID 1) WD Gold 2TB (x3) - Data drives (Storage Spaces, or can I RAID 5 them?)  
      So two questions for all of you:
      If anything, what would you change and why? For the extra $278 (13% more), is the Gen 10 Plus worth it?  
      Thanks.