• ×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

• Similar Content

• ColinBrough
      By ColinBrough
      My old Proliant Microserver - a N36L running XUbuntu - died recently (PSU issues). I've replaced it with a Gen8 Microserver, but am really struggling to install the OS... Can't find the things I think I want in the BIOS, and since the N36L, there is a whole load of lingo to pick up.... HP Smart Array Controllers, HP Smart Memory, iLO, Intelligent Provisioning...

I have 4x HDDs in the server (all different sizes!), and I want to end up with the OS on a partition on one of them, with data on all the rest, and no RAID - and retaining the data that is on at least one of those drives...

If I boot from the latest XUbuntu ISO on a memory stick, I can partition the drives OK, and appear to install the OS OK. But then when I try and reboot it doesn't detect the OS on the HDD... so it ends up falling back to trying to boot from the network, failing, then looping...

From I've read I think I need to do something to the Smart Array Controller to make it run in dumb/AHCI mode. But how? I can't find the relevant option...

Confession: having not realised the complexity when I first powered up the machine, I have no idea what random options I may have inadvertently selected not knowing their name/significance!

Is there a step by step to installing a Linux variant on a Gen8 Microserver that doesn't do RAID somewhere? Not found one yet...

Links below are to two (slightly shaky, sorry!) videos of where I've got to so far. First is of a successful boot into the XUbuntu installer from a memory stick. Second is a boot showing the failure to find any boot media, then into the HPE Smart Storage administrator - and my lack of ability to find any options to select AHCI mode or similar...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k18fd30k2i7syfg/2017-06-15 21.47.40.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ecd2tth183b6ym/2017-06-15 22.42.20.mp4?dl=0

Feels like one of those old text adventures where you are lost in a forest of impenetrable jargon terms, and you can't quite distinguish where you are from where you expected to be, except you can't quite achieve what you want to!! Aaargh.

Thanks!

Colin
    • Dave
      By Dave
      HP says "less than $399" so $398.99?

Watch their video here:

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      Just for fun, I attached a USB external DVD drive to the Gen10 MicroServer and played Star Wars: Rogue One.  I had loaded PowerDVD onto the MicroServer.
      Used a DP1.2 to HDMI active converter and the sound played through on the Monitor Speakers.
      I've been playing a lot of streaming videos (from my home server and from Amazon Prime) without problems too.