RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Comparing the HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA to Previous MicroServers

schoondoggy
25 minutes ago, FreeN@S said:

don't forget that one slot is not usefull at all : it is x1 electrical. So you can't add 10Gbe network card and you can't add controller/HBA together.

x1 slot is more for serial ports. if you need to add serial port. Nothing more here compared to Gen8.

On a Gen8 you could always add video card. 

B120i is HP custom controller on C204 chipset. It is far better for ZFS (Freebsd, FreeNAS) using in AHCI mode than Marvell. 

And Marvell is on PCIe x2 connection, so all ports will not work at full speed. 

AMD IOMMU is probably not supporded. In another thread here waiting on answer from HPE. 

And in total you pay more: you can't buy small and upgrade. With upgraded CPU on Gen8 you have up to ~9000 Passmark, not 5000.

There is still no info from HPE about additional Remote Management solution.

You could add a dual port 1Gb NIC in the x1 slot.

The Gen10 has a larger PSU to help handle a power hungry video card.

The PCIe 2.0 x2 interface on the Marvell 88SE9230 would only limit performance of four SSD's. It is still faster than the sustained throughput of four disk drives. The SATA controller on the Gen8 is two 6Gb/s and two 3Gb/s ports. It would also limit performance on SSD's.

AMD IOMMU maybe a CPU issue or a BIOS issue.

Have you seen pricing?

I doubt there will be a Remote Management card option. They would have needed to add more connections into the system board than what a PCIe slot offers.

The MS Gen10 is a different server from the MS Gen8. Whether it is better or worse will depend on your use case.

FreeN@S

I agree that it has benefits over Gen10, if you don't look from a server perspective. Microserver Gen10 is not a server anymore.

yes, i saw price

In EU it Gen10 costs ~650EUR for perf model with 2x8GB RAM.  If you need 32GB , you'll need buy 2 x 16GB  . Why HPE couldn't ship it with 1 x16 GB ?

In EU Microserver Gen8 costs 140 EUR after cashback.  For another 160eur you can get new 2*8GB ECC UDIMM. For a E3 1230 V2 another 120eur. So in total with E3 1230 V2 and 16GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM it will cost : ~420eur.

Edited by FreeN@S

schoondoggy
1 hour ago, FreeN@S said:

I agree that it has benefits over Gen10, if you don't look from a server perspective. Microserver Gen10 is not a server anymore.

yes, i saw price

In EU it Gen10 costs ~650EUR for perf model with 2x8GB RAM.  If you need 32GB , you'll need buy 2 x 16GB . Why HPE couldn't ship it with 1 x16 GB ?

In EU Microserver Gen8 costs 140 EUR after cashback.  For another 160eur you can get new 2*8GB ECC UDIMM. For a E3 1230 V2 another 120eur. So in total with E3 1230 V2 and 16GB DDR3 ECC UDIMM it will cost : ~420eur.

Good info, but keep in mind regular price on a basic MS Gen8 (1610T and 4GB) is $420 and the XEON (E3-1220l and 4GB) is $729. So at regular price the MS Gen10 has a faster CPU and four times the memory compared to the XEON MS Gen8. As time marches on there will be rebates and discounts on the MS Gen10 as well. The MS Gen8 is a great server for tech enthusiast with its features and the ability to upgrade. The MS Gen8 is more of an Enterprise server due to its feature set. Which server to buy will all come down to your use case.  

• Like 2

gardian

Depending on the prices of the beefier models. I can totally see this as a home server.

I could see using a PCIe card with a couple of M.2 sticks with a server2012E OS mirrored, Dvd-rw in the top and (4) 6 or 8 tb reds in the front with Stablebit drivepool.

Maybe even throw a Win7pro VM on it and do a HTPC/Homeserver.

They should have put the M.2 x2 on the board to start with, but, I could work with it.

At least HP is still working for us "Home Server people" hardware wise, I'm surprised they didn't stop when MS abandoned us. :-)

Thx for all the early info, I will be watching prices as I am still happy with my X-510 WHS v1 right now.

Take care all and enjoy.....

Edited by gardian
speelcheck
  • Like 1

Jason

May have to pick one of these up to replace my Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge box with 32 GB RAM. But why ClearOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lennart

Actually I came back this week that a new hp pavilion :) microserver is coming, (Here in the Netherlands in august) and I am a bit disappointed. If the best you can do as HPE, after 5 years an AMD APU combined with a Marvell sata controller and lack of ILO than you don't take it seriously. 

The only positive aspect is that it's up to date (in case of UEFI, ddr4 / usb etc) and perhaps some more energy efficient parts but omg, why an opteron.... that thing is outperformed by a Xeon from 2012 on every way (except memory bandwith ;-) )

@schoondoggyyou are right about the price comparison vs. performance but as an (tech)enthousiast you can't tell me this new device gives you "butterflies in your stomach" (nice translation :-) )

Edited by Lennart

schoondoggy
On 7/23/2017 at 0:39 PM, Lennart said:

Actually I came back this week that a new hp pavilion :) microserver is coming, (Here in the Netherlands in august) and I am a bit disappointed. If the best you can do as HPE, after 5 years an AMD APU combined with a Marvell sata controller and lack of ILO than you don't take it seriously. 

The only positive aspect is that it's up to date (in case of UEFI, ddr4 / usb etc) and perhaps some more energy efficient parts but omg, why an opteron.... that thing is outperformed by a Xeon from 2012 on every way (except memory bandwith ;-) )

@schoondoggyyou are right about the price comparison vs. performance but as an (tech)enthousiast you can't tell me this new device gives you "butterflies in your stomach" (nice translation :-) )

I don't remember the last time I got really excited about any tech product. :-)

When I was first briefed on the MS Gen10, my thoughts were, if you are building a home lab, this is probably not the server for you, if you are building a media server, the MS Gen10 could be a good choice. 

It is all about your use case. I think the MS Gen10 will be very popular with N54-N40-N36 users that did not like the complexity of the MS Gen8. For home lab users, I think one of the ML10 or ML30 servers would be a better choice.

If it were possible to justify the cost, I would have liked to have seen them build two MicroServers, one Intel based with iLo, IP and all the other Proliant features and another very similar to the MS Gen10.