RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Comparing the HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer BETA to Previous MicroServers

Joe_Miner

The HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer compared to the Previous Gen8 and N54L/N40L/N36L MicroServers

DSC_0093 CROP.jpg

DSC_0098 CROP.jpg

DSC_0101 CROP.jpg

The Gen10 and Gen8 are the same dimensions and can be easily stacked

DSC_0111 CROP.jpg

DSC_0116 CROP.jpg

DSC_0118 CROP.jpg

schoondoggy

Some observations from the beta unit testing so far.

What is the same/similar?

Case is the same size, so It stacks with Gen8

Four swappable bays

Two Gigabit Ethernet ports

One internal USB port

What is new/different?

AMD X3421 SOC APU in my Beta unit. No socket, soldered to motherboard,
http://www.amd.com/en/opteron

UEFI BIOS

32GB of memory max, two slots

Tray-less design for the 4 bay

No door for the drive bays, need to remove the front bezel to get to the drives

No iLo

No Intelligent Provisioning

No B120i

No microSD slot

Marvell 88SE9230 6Gb SATA controller 4 SATA ports on a SFF8087 for the 4 drive bay. Specs show a 5th SATA port, but we also found a 6th SATA port. Not sure if port 6 will make it into production
http://www.marvell.com/storage/system-solutions/assets/Marvell-88SE92xx-Product-Brief.pdf

Support for a SSD mounted in the ODD bay. User Guide shows SSD mount bracket for mounting a SSD in the ODD bay, but I did not get one with the Beta unit.

200w PS

Radeon 7 graphics with one VGA and two DP

Low noise

Ships with ClearOS

JBark

Man, the loss of iLO is such a huge downer, makes it a complete no go for me, and I was really hoping to pick one of these up.  Guess I'll probably just grab an E3-1265L v2 off eBay, should give me more than enough CPU grunt to last for quite a few years.\.

The 6th SATA port isn't shown on the motherboard picture in the QuickSpecs PDF (but still has the cutout on the heatsink), but later on in the documents it has a drawing that does show the 6th port, so will be interesting to see what happens with the production models.

FreeN@S

agree with JBark, for me probably too.  APU's is in 5000 passmark zone, then E3 1265L v2 , E3 1230 V2 is in 9000 zone. Big loss, even RAM limit 16GB now sounds better than no ILO and week CPU.

Even with N40L/N54L you could have additional aka Remote management card on PCIe slot... I can't call it server either, it is now personal computer, more like HTPC .

Edited by FreeN@S

Trig0r

I can live without iLo tbh given the extra GPU grunt it now allows, moving to a lesser, soldered CPU though, thats a killer, do prefer the drives being caddyless now.

Joe_Miner
4 hours ago, FreeN@S said:

agree with JBark, for me probably too.  APU's is in 5000 passmark zone, then E3 1265L v2 , E3 1230 V2 is in 9000 zone. Big loss, even RAM limit 16GB now sounds better than no ILO and week CPU.

Even with N40L/N54L you could have additional aka Remote management card on PCIe slot... I can't call it server either, it is now personal computer, more like HTPC .

With two PCIe Gen3 Slots I suspect an iLO add-on card may be in the future if the demand is there.  My guess is they kept it out this time to keep the costs low.

Ricimer

88SE9230

This is *very* bad news for anyone not running Windows. There are a number of unresolved NCQ issues with the Marvell controller on Linux and Freebsd.

I've seen long running threads with no solutions, the issue is some commands (like scheduled SMART scans) will cause the drives to timeout when using NCQ. Not good for ZFS etc.

FreeN@S
21 hours ago, Joe_Miner said:

With two PCIe Gen3 Slots I suspect an iLO add-on card may be in the future if the demand is there.  My guess is they kept it out this time to keep the costs low.

I hope you can give your input to HPE that users need iLO :)

cost, imho, is not so low this time...

And for this time, it should be called HPE MicroStation Gen10 not Microserver :D

Because Proliant used to be a "name" for a Enterprise features, and  Microserver - form factor. Now, i can't understand where HPE is pointing....

yodafett

Think I will be moving to a Dell T130 or a ML30 if I move to new platform.  Rather get 64MB with iLO/Drac and options compared to a soldered chip.   Or possible a Xeon-D and Virtuallize everything.

yodafett
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:59 AM, Joe_Miner said:

If they put the iLO in like the gen7 it would be a possible but to me the GEN8 due to the HSS crew had more "hotrodability"   Thinking a Xeon-D with 8-16 cores would be more flexible in a similar cost or getting a QNAP with 10GB Ethernet and running iSCSI for the connected drive space and then the frontend be a VM.