RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Joe_Miner

This is what HPE shipped with the Gen10 BETA:

DSC_0030_CROP.jpg

DSC_0023.JPG

After loading Windows 10 Pro onto a SSD attached to SATA Port5 I changed out the Stock HPE RAM for:

2 x Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR24E17D8/16

Picture of 1st 16GB DIMM installed -- preparing to install 2nd 16GB DIMM

DSC_0041_CROP.jpg

NOTE: OS Samsung SSD, PORT5, is taped to base of ODD Bay space while a Corsair FORCE GT is laying on top attached to SATA PORT6 (The Corsair FORCE GT SSD was the First drive I had attached to the SATA PORT6 - see the thread on Drives for more information).....

DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG

Pictures of both DIMMs installed for 32GB RAM on the Gen10 MicroServer

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0049_CROP.jpg

DSC_0050.JPG

Confirmation of 32GB RAM installed.....

DSC_0052_CROP.jpg

DSC_0053_CROP.jpg

Another shot of 32GB RAM installed -- NOTE: the Samsung SSD that is my OS drive Port5 is on the bottom of the ODD Bay while I have switched out the drive attached to Port6 to a Samsung SSD taped on top of the OS drive

DSC_0056.JPG

• Like 1

schoondoggy

Currently running two of these:

Crucial CT16G4WFD824A 16Gb Ddr4 2400 Mt/S Pc4-2400 Dimm 288Pin Dr X8 Ecc Unbuff Cl17

Trig0r

I do love the way its a new unit and you guys already have drives hanging out of it on the other headers and the case off :D

• Like 2

Joe_Miner

It's not official until we can use "duct tape" on it :P

Trig0r

Give it 10 minutes, there's no doubt an SDM prototype in the works...

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Done ;)

DSC_0122.JPG

• Like 1

Trig0r

Not official, doesn't count ;)

Edited by Trig0r
  • Like 1

Dave

Since this is a RAM thread and it is upgradeable can you guys talk about those options for us?  Do you have Amazon or NewEgg links on some example configurations that will work with Gen 10?  I would like to know a ballpark of costs to get it upgraded.  Granted, it is a beta box so you can address that as well.

Joe_Miner

2 x Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 RAM (Server Memory) ECC DIMM (288-Pin) KVR24E17D8/16

NewEGG and Amazon had the best prices on ValueRAM when I was looking -- NewEgg was something like $20-40 cheaper so I went with them but the prices bounce around so it's a good Idea to shop around.  EBay had them too but they were really pricey for some reason.  At the time I paid $290 for two sticks.

Here's my link (but NewEgg currently has them out of stock I see):

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242273 

NOTE: be sure to use RESET link when ever possible.

Jeff

On the topic of RAM, is it necessary to continue using ECC DIMMs in this server? The Gen7s came with 2GB ECC, but could use non-ECC.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, I've been searching and all references I have found so far keep referring to ECC.

Edited by Jeff
Added a bit